ok now I'm afraid of my own bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIpitydane

Reaction score
Ok....I posted a few days ago about Nelsons biting me....I started doing the squealing sound when he bit me but so far it hasn't changed anything. Now since yesterday he's started growling and boxing at me before biting....I don't know what I am doing wrong. He just turned 12 weeks.....a baby....and I'm terrified of him. At first it was when I picked him up....or if I were blocking him from somewhere he wanted to go but now I can't even pet him. What changed?! My arm's and hands are bruised and bloody and even tho I know I should just be consistent it's very hard for me to even want near him now. Please someone help me and Nelson.....I dont want a bully for a flemish!:?

Are you wearing some perfume that maybe is too strong (perhaps smell of detergent of your clothes, something else)?? Once my father handled something (I don't know what, thinner or oil or whatever) and my bunny was mad at him too. After he washed that off, he got back to normal. Maybe there's something you're wearing that is bad for the bun and he's trying to defend himself. it can be a weird smell or any other substance that irritates him. Bunnies are very delicate...
Or maybe you don't show him too much love? If you play with him only at times, and leave him locked the rest of the time, he'll get mad at you. My MILU was always free and I always played with him, kissed him, etc. He wasn't the best bunny ever at first, but soon became the #1!!
Out of this, what else can I think of... maybe he's being territorial (but I doubt that given that he's so young).. is he jealous of another pet maybe?

Well, try what I did to MILU - give him some treats and when he gets them, VERY gently you should start petting him (try at least, but very nicely and gently), speak softly to him and tell him how much you like him (believe me, bunnies know it if it's from your heart) and just show him that you care. Not in an inpatient way, but show that you care, stay there with him, wait if you have to... spend as long as possible close to him... some nice slow music always helps too.. bunnies love music!

I wish you the best of luck with him!!
:pray:

Hmmmm I cannot think of any different smells Id be sporting.....detergents same as always and I don't wear perfume. As for the "not enough love" thing....the buns are actually either out at home or with me at work. Hes been held and loved hours and hours a day since weve had him. They arent in a cage except at night when we go to bed. And I can pet him.....and he comes to me and bups me for pets...but if I pick him up or get between him and what he wants he gruffs and bites.....even if he could just go around me! And I know rabbits arent keen on being picked up but Ive been picking him up and moving him or snuggling him etc since he was tiny and it only just became an issue.

It could be hormones. 12 weeks is a bit young, but some rabbits do start territorial behavior around that age. Hopefully it will go away with neutering.

First and foremost establish a "pecking order". Sounds like he is trying to be the dominant or Alpha. Had a few like that and I'd pin them to the ground and talk to them or roll them on their back and talk to them. That cured the biting which is why we were having a problem in the first place. Now they are very friendly and come when called. Some are just born to be an "alpha" and start off much earlier than you'd think, but, a rabbit that learns "biting" gets them whatever they want is not going to be a very good companion.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
First and foremost establish a "pecking order". Sounds like he is trying to be the dominant or Alpha. Had a few like that and I'd pin them to the ground and talk to them or roll them on their back and talk to them. That cured the biting which is why we were having a problem in the first place. Now they are very friendly and come when called. Some are just born to be an "alpha" and start off much earlier than you'd think, but, a rabbit that learns "biting" gets them whatever they want is not going to be a very good companion.
:yeahthat:

You need to establish dominance and you need to do it NOW. I've had flemish nip me - but they don't do it more than once or twice because they learn pretty quickly I'm the boss (I'm a breeder).

You have to hold his head down (push it down lightly) for a minute or so whenever he tries to do that.

I watch my flemish does a lot when they play - and one way that they express dominance is to lay on one another or push another rabbit's head down. Seriously - that's how they know who is boss.

You don't have to be mean about it - but I put my hand completely over their head and LIGHTLY push their head down and I don't let their head up till they stop fighting it being held down.

He needs to learn that you're the alpha or "Big Kahuna" bunny as Buck Jones used to say - and he needs to learn it NOW before he gets much bigger.

Well said TinysMom. I do the same with my sisters Flemish Doe. I have never had the problem with Thor. My lil Lionhead Kramer thought he was the "Big Kahiuna until I put him in his place. He was only 7 weeks when he tested me.

When you were blocking him and he bit, did you move your arm? Or when he did it when you picked him up, did you put him down?

If so, that would have reinforced the "if I bite, I get my way" and yes I know those are both perfectly natural reactions to pain and hard to not do. Hardest thing I ever did with an animal was when my horse bit me, not run out of her yard, even when she was trying to kick me to show how mad she was at me (she was new and very young). And she bit the bone on my wrist, so man did it ever hurt!

Animals can sense our fear, so try to not be scared of him and follow the advice the helpful people here have given you. Hope he stops being such a bully soon for you!

Back