Ok I swear this is the last renovation to their cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SOOOSKA wrote:
The cage looks really good.

But I hvet to burst your bubble, those hamocks:) are very dangerous for rabbits.  They can really hurt themselves trying to get out of them.  I had one for Buttercup (RIP) thank goodness I was home when he was in it and tried to get out of it. He was having a real difficult time getting out of it.  They need solid ground to hop or jump from or onto.

I hope more experienced people will come on and advise just how dangerous they are.

Susan 

I hope whatever happened with your rabbit did not harm it. I understand where you are coming from. The fact that in alot of the advertised pictures of the hammocks have them with the edges close together worried me. Luckily I got one that was just the perfect size to go completely across my cage without any bunching. The little bit of dip in the middle I solved by tightening up the edges so its fairly sure. I also "tilted" it so that its pointed down like 20 degrees to let them simply walk out when they want to. There are inherent dangers in any cage accessories, they just have to be used and placed correctly by the owner. I have this one and I would NEVER place it like that. It looks far too dangerous
http://www.petco.com/product/114066...mall-Animal-Hammock.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

Anyone have any opinions on this?

I agree, I would NEVER position one the way it is in that picture - mine's pretty much the exact opposite so that there's no way for them to twist it around or get stuck inside and freak out.

I have it pulled nearly as taut as possible and hooked in a way that it can't slide around at ALL or "give" extra from the added weight of a bunny or two. they're in a store-bought cage 'cause their NIC condo isn't quite finished and it's hung so that the only logical way in and out for small bunnies is to use the shelf halfway up the side of the cage (it CAN'T slide away from the shelf) and the sides of the hammock are pulled up high enough that they can't try to go straight out the (always open) side door from inside the hammock. once it's in the NIC condo, it'll be hung halfway up a grid rather than from the ceiling and still pulled taut to prevent it from moving around on them.

I hope all your bunnies are safe and nothing happens to them. I just thought I would give you some very good advice to prevent injuries to your bunnies, as I and others on RO have badexpeience with these hamocks.

Good Luck.

Susan

always appreciated, as it's not the sort of thing I would've thought to mention when recommending the hammock to people and just saying "the bunnies love it!" doesn't indicate a specific way it should be hung to make them happy and safe.

I agree that positioning is extremely important because of how much rabbits value that "secure" feeling. I definitely put a lot of thought into how to set it up so that they would be as comfortable as possible and wouldn't be able to hurt themselves because I didn't actually know if they would even like it and didn't want them to freak out when they tried it!

Tractorgal wrote:
Wow! You are soooo creative!!! Are you using those wire shelf cubes to make the cage? It looks amazing! I think im going to get my buns a hammock too :)
NIC cages (cubes) are very popular in the world of indoor bunnies. You might enjoy browsing through the thread that shows the 2012 cages made by members.

Here is a popular link that shows how to make these:
http://breyfamily.net/bunnycage.html

Latest posts

Back