Oh boy, I have to cut his nails.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charade

Reaction score
This will be the first time cuttingmyrabbits nails. I don't really know much about it. What I doknow is he hates to be held. I can sense this being a bit of a fiasco.

I also don't know if I can use 'human' nail clippers or if I have to get special ones.

Tips!?

If saw me coming with some of those clippers hewould jump out the window! He's just a little guy so hopefully smallerones will be ok.

You need to get special clippers for yourbunny. You cannot use human ones. I just clipped mybunny's nails today and accidently went too far and it bled, so becareful. The easiest way I find is to lay the bunny backwards(back down) in my lap between my legs. I get her to relax bypetting her head and talking to her. Once I feel she's calmenough, I begin clipping. You may need to take breaks inbetween paws.

Just do a tiny, tiny snip. Getcomfortable with it and simply take a little bit off ;)Eachtime you do it, you will get confident and know exactly what todo.

I never liked any of the 'dog', cat, or bunny nail clippers - and have always used a human TOENAIL clipper.
The one I have is older then the hills (older then then me I think!!! :shock2:)

and I don't even know if the make them anymore... I haven't looked for one.
It looks like a fingernail clipper only GIANT sized.
I wouldn't give it up for the world (but the buns would hide it in a New York minute if given the chance!)

I use the big toe-nail clippers aswell. I feel I have more control over those ones, and it willonly take a little bit of nail at a time. I used to use theguillotine style ones, but I just like the feel of the humanclippers better and they are easier to see the quick.

Nail clipping is stressful for you and thebunny. Hopefully you can get someone to help you. One holds bunny, theother clips. bunnyshould feel much better with shorter nails.

don't forget the treats for after.

Nicole

Nicky Snow wrote:
Nail clipping is stressful for you and the bunny. Hopefullyyou can get someone to help you. One holds bunny, the other clips.bunnyshould feel much better with shorter nails.

don't forget the treats for after.

Nicole
Yup, that's what we do. :)

Or you could do a bunny burrito- wrap him in a towel, and take out onepaw at a time. Don't wrap him too tightly, though, and takehim out if he panics.

I like the clippers I use. They are made for cats and smalldogs, cut really nicely, have a guard so you can only cut so much atonce, and a little tab to keep them closed. I used to use apair of "rabbit nail clippers" that look like a scissors with a bunnyhead for a handle. It's like trying to cut nails with a dullchild safety scissors.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441780098&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033731&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1129878422513

I tried using the dog/cat nail trimmers butfound - like some other here - that the regular human toe nail clippersare much easier to handle.

I also found the it helped to take the bunny into a room or an area hedoesn't play in so he was unfamiliar with his surroundings - and was alittle less anxious to get away from me.

Latest posts

Back