Off Topic: Here we go Again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elf Mommy

Reaction score
Well, things are looking scary once again. Wetoughed it out during Charley, but I'm not sure we'll take that riskwith Frances. There's a strong possibility that I will be evacuatingtomorrow evening. It will be a forced vacation. It's really difficultwhen you're thinking about what to bring with you. I'll have a dogcrate and a rabbit cage in the back of the van, so that will limit thespace a bit. I want to bring my box of photographs, my computer harddrive--I can replace the monitor, keyboard, etc. I'll bring some of myfavorite artwork I've done, and then I guess the rest I'll leave to thestorm. Who knows, it may get no where near us. At least withhurricanes, you know they're coming. It's not like a tornado orearthquake that hits you out of nowhere. So, there's really no excusefor someone not to get out of the way. Here's to making the smart move!

bagel_boy_making_a_toast_lg_clr.gif

My aunt just sent me this...I had to pass it along...

Since we are in the peak ofthe hurricane season, and since we have all just had the poop scaredout of us, I offer the following:

Any day now, you're going to turn on the TV and see a weather personpointing to some radar blob out in the Atlantic Ocean and making twobasic meteorological points:

(1) There is no need to panic.
(2) We could all be killed.

Yes, hurricane season is an exciting time to be in Florida.If you're new to the area, you're probably wondering what youneed to do to prepare for the possibility that we'll get hit by "thebig one." Based on our experiences, we recommend that youfollow this simple three-step hurricane preparedness plan:

STEP 1: Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least three days.
STEP 2: Put these supplies into your car.
STEP 3: Drive to Nebraska and remain there until Halloween.

Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow thissensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here inFlorida.

We'll start with one of the most important hurricane preparedness items:

HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE:

If you own a home, you must have homeowners insurance.Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as yourhome meets two basic requirements:

(1) It is reasonably well-built, and
(2) It is located in Nebraska.

Unfortunately, if your home is located in Florida, or any other areathat might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companieswould prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance, because then theymight be required to pay YOU money, and that is certainly not why theygot into the insurance business in the first place. So you'llhave to scrounge around for an insurance company, which will charge youan annual premium roughly equal to the replacement value of yourhouse. At any moment, this company can drop you like useddental floss. Since Hurricane Andrew, I have had an estimated27 different home-insurance companies. This week, I'm coveredby the Bob and Big Stan Insurance Company, under a policy which statesthat, in addition to my premium, Bob and Big Stan are entitled, ondemand, to my kidneys.

SHUTTERS:

Your house should have hurricane shutters on all the windows, all thedoors, and -- if it's a major hurricane -- all the toilets.There are several types of shutters, with advantages and disadvantages:

Plywood shutters: The advantage is that, because you make themyourself, they're cheap. The disadvantage is that, becauseyou make them yourself, they will fall off.

Sheet-metal shutters: The advantage is that these work well, once youget them all up. The disadvantage is that once you get themall up, your hands will be useless bleeding stumps, and it will beDecember.

Roll-down shutters: The advantages are that they're very easy to use,and will definitely protect your house. The disadvantage isthat you will have to sell your house to pay for them.

Hurricane-proof windows: These are the newest wrinkle in hurricaneprotection: They look like ordinary windows, but they can withstandhurricane winds! You can be sure of this, because thesalesman says so. He lives in Nebraska.

Hurricane Proofing your property: As the hurricane approaches, checkyour yard for movable objects like barbecue grills, planters, patiofurniture, visiting relatives, etc... You should, as aprecaution, throw these items into your swimming pool (if you don'thave a swimming pool, you should have one built immediately).Otherwise, the hurricane winds will turn these objects into deadlymissiles. Your neighbors will ignore this part, and yourhouse will be destroyed by all manners of "pool toys", yard good andvarious Madonnas they failed to secure.

EVACUATION ROUTE:
If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation routeplanned out. (To determine whether you live in a low-lyingarea, look at your driver's license; if it says "Florida," you live ina low-lying area). The purpose of having an evacuation route is toavoid being trapped in your home when a major storm hits.Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several milesfrom your home, along with two hundred thousand otherevacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely.

Be sure to follow the advice of "professional" weathermen on TV,because they are the experts. Try not to be too surprisedwhen their recommendation takes you, and three hundred thousand of yourclosest friends, directly into the path of the hurricane. Besure to have lots of gas, beer, and above all, remember that the"hurricane path is not carved in stone."

HURRICANE SUPPLIES:
If you don't evacuate, you will need a mess of supplies. Donot buy them now! Florida tradition requires that you waituntil the last possible minute, then go to the supermarket and get intovicious fights with strangers over who gets the last can ofSPAM. In addition to food and water, you will need thefollowing supplies:

1. 23 flashlights. At least $167 worth of batteriesthat turn out, when the power goes off, to be the wrong size for theflashlights.

2. Bleach. (No, I don't know what the bleach isfor. NOBODY knows what the bleach is for, but it'straditional, so get some!)

3. 55 gallon drum of underarm deodorant.

4. A big knife that you can strap to yourleg. (This will be useless in a hurricane, but it lookscool.)

5. A large quantity of raw chicken, to placate thealligators. (Ask anybody who went through Andrew; after thehurricane, there WILL be irate alligators.)

6. $35,000 in cash or diamonds so that, after thehurricane passes, you can buy a generator from a man with nodiscernible teeth.

Of course these are just basic precautions. As the hurricanedraws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of thesituation by turning on your television and watching TV reporters inrain slickers stand right next to the ocean and tell you over and overhow vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from theocean. And on the second day, the President of these UnitedStates will come down, in an air-conditioned helicopter, to "assess thedamage" and check on the "coordination" between his guys and hisbrother's guys and they'll both pat each other on the back and then getthe hell back to an air-conditioned space.

Good luck, and remember: It's great living in Paradise.

That hurricane was on the news this morning, andI immediately thought 'argh my bunny friends.' We are so lucky overhere, althoughwe have had really bad weather for this time ofyear, all it has done is flooded the roads a bit. Nothing compaired toover near you. It said winds of upto 140 mph.....so I really hope itdoesn't do too much damage. I'll be thinking of you...

Vickie

Elf Mommy, that list your aunt sent was so funny- and probably very close to the truth lol. On a seriousnote, I hope everything is OK. It must be awful having to take yourthings and leave not knowing what you're going to go back to.My husband and I were in Florida on our honeymoon when Andrew struck -very scary, but at least our property etc wasn't at risk. Be thinkingof you - Jan

Dearest ElfMommy,

You are an absolute sweetheart to watch out for your own.

You could be a Breck girl from the picture you posted of yourself.

Poor Florida! I can't believe you guys are going through this again! That's just not right.

I'm thinking of you, praying that you don't have to evacuate and thatyou and yours stay connected via internet the whole time so that weknow you're safe.

Maybe the weatherman's wrong.

-Carolyn

OK, what's a Breck girl? LOL I'm thinking it's probably a good thing, though, so thank you :D.

My husband is debating whether or not we're going to leave or justhunker down and weather it out. I'm packing anyway, today, just incase.

I was looking for another picture of me that I could post. I swear Inever get in front of a camera if I can help it. I found a really oldone, though. This is my son and I during my 21 week stay inCalifornia...

Hi ElfMommy,

I'm showing my age when I say you could be a Breck girl. Theshampoo, Breck, used to have the most gorgeous models with TheBest hair in their commercials, of course. You remind meof the models in those commercials.

More beautiful pictures of you! Thank you for sharingit. I'm with you about getting in front of a camera, butdon't understand your reluctance. You're a beautiful girl.

Do keep us posted as to where you end up. I'll be thinkingabout you and praying that the storm goes back out into the ocean.

-Carolyn

UPDATE

At the moment, we're not leaving. That may change, and I'm stillpacking just in case, but for now... I'm stocking up on water andcanned goods (ick). I bought a new bag of rabbit food and dog food. Ifit takes a bigger swing North, we'll skadaddle. As it is, we're goingto hunker down and weather it out.

My parents, on the other hand, are driving their RV toward Texas LOL

When is it supposed to hit your area?

-Carolyn

If it swings to us, it won't hit until Saturdaynight or early Sunday morning. So we could still leave tomorrow orSaturday morning if it makes that swing.

You're brave!!

You know we'll see all of the worst pictures on the news so be sure to keep us posted, ElfMommy.

-Carolyn

Did the authorities tell you to evacuate yet?

Are you the only one's staying put? Heard it went down a pegin it's strength...from a 4 to a 3. Let's hope it keeps ondoing that!

Are any of your neighbors staying put?

The traffic jams down there look like a nightmare!

-Carolyn

Not only are our neighbors still here, but noneof them have boarded up either (ok, wait, I just looked outside and sawone). The city officials will be coming on at 5pm today to make anyevacuation recommendations. We will be spending the day putting thingsin my son's room from the porches, deck and back yard. Both kids willbunk down in my daughter's room tonight, which has only one outsidewall, and it faces another house, about 6 feet away.

We aren't committed to staying or leaving yet. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the update, ElfMommy. Whenever I see the reports, I think of you. Do keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Elf Mommy

What's the latest news on the hurricane?

We are due to fly out to Miami on Tuesday morning. At present allflights to Florida from the UK have been cancelled until Sundayevening. We are watching all the news and weather over here and lookingon the internet. We are flying with Virgin and they have said they willnot make a decision about the flights for next week until Mondaymorning till they know where the hurricane is going.

I think we have a lot of people stranded at our airports! I am thinkingof you all over there and would like to know how you get on and what ishappening?

Sue

Well, the hurricane is stalling coming inland. Itmay still take a swing North. Needless to say, I'm constantly flippingbetween local news and the weather channel. Jacksonville will makerecommendations now tomorrow morning instead of this evening. The stormis going so slow, who knows what it will do. I have all the lawnfurniture packed into my son's room. So far we are riding it out. Iwill keep you updated, but I'm not sure if it will be gone by the timeyou are wanting to fly in, with as slow as it's moving. I'll keep youupdated as I can.

Minda

Heard it slowed down a bit too. It'ssupposedly 200 miles east of Florida right now. It'll be afew hours since they said it's moving 9mph.

-Carolyn

Elf Mommy & Carolyn

Thanks for the info, glad you are OK Elf Mommy. We are trying to keep atrack of whats happening on the internet and by watching our news& weather. Wish this thing would blow itself out to sea and goaway!

My cousin got back to the UK from Orlando at 7.00am this morning, shewas on the last flight out of Orlando so only just made it back!

Just off to bed now but will be thinking of you Elf Mommy keep safe.

Sue

Latest posts

Back