Odd Bunny behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxyllsk

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my crazy bunny Molly again. I seem to have the digging / dumping of the food dish taken care of - I have an old bird dish clipped to the wall low enough that the 2 buns can reach it, but high enough that Molly can't dig the food into oblivion.

Molly is male and not yet nuetered (he's about 6 months old). I thought he was a she when I got him as a baby, but then ... well, it became obvious she was a he !

He went through a spell when he was 4 months old where he was humping his friend Mac, who is a nuetered male a bit older than he is. Molly seems to have stopped doing this when Mac chased him a few times.

But now Molly looks like he's trying to build a nest - he drags the fleece off the top level of his condo, and very neatly arranges it in one of the 2 litterpans ; then he carries mouthfuls of hay and shredded phone book and adds that ; now he's been pulling hair out of his tummy and putting that there.

Is it normal for males to do this ? He is most def a male and will be getting fixed pretty soon, as soon as my vet fund recovers from a sick dog.

It doesn't really bother me that much ... it's just odd as I've never had a bun do this before.

I should add that Molly was really teeny tiny when I got him. He was from a woman who goes to the livestock auctions and buys the 'meat' bunnies, then rehomes them for a small fee ($5 - she is NOT really making anything off them, but wants to help). Molly was most def the runt of the litter, but she also felt that this litter was maybe 4 weeks old. Anyway, Molly is still small, but has a great coat, is very active and healthy otherwise. He probably doesn't even weigh 2 1/2 lbs. He's about 7 months old now.

Hmm. I never heard of males doing this. Are you 100% sure his testicles dropped? I have only heard of this behaviour in females- spayed or not.
lol Molly, maybe you gave him a complex by calling him Molly?!?!?

I've never heard of it in males either, but I googled it and apparently you're not alone. There are other male rabbits out there that have done it as well.

I also have never heard of a male building a nest. Rearranging his cage and shredding things could just be his personality or playing but the fur pulling for the nest I've only heard of females doing.......?

You say he's most definitely male.....has he been sexed by a vet or sexed recently. Not saying you are wrong, lol, but the sex change fairy has visited a number of bunnies :) sometimes small buns or young buns are hard to sex........also, the humping of the other rabbit does not indicate male behavior as both female and male rabbits hump.

Hmmm, just trying to think of all avenues here.......let us know what you find out!

His behavior is not bothering me or so far harmful to himself - it's just really weird. My old bunny, an English Lop named Bob the Bunny, used to rearrange the 'furniture' in his cage to his liking. It's def the hair pulling, and putting all sorts of nest stuff in one of the litterboxes, that is so odd.

I am pretty sure he's got both testicals at this point. When I first got him, both the rescue lady and I thought he was a she (but I am not good a sexing the babies) - hence the name Molly.

So I rushed to get Mr. Mac the mellow guy fixed before we had any issues with breeding. He is also a bit older than Molly. Molly has always been really small so I wanted him to grow up and get stronger before the speutering process.

Then as I said Molly was humping Mac like crazy for a few days before Mac put him in his place (not in a mean way - he just ran him off when Molly tried). At that point I checked for testicals and there they were LOL !

The name Molly just stuck - he'd been Molly for a few months and I tried calling him Blackie but that didn't stick. Oh well, he doesn't know his name LOL. Maybe he is getting a complex !

He's always been a turbo crazy bunny. I wonder if since he didn't have the best of starts and was taken away from his mom so young that he's got issues ? Dunno. He is always digging, messing with stuff, messing with the dogs, trying to get out of the bunny round pen and go zinging around - he's constantly constantly on the move. I give him lots of toys and switch them out frequently to keep him intersted. He always has a few things to dig in or shred at any given moment - and he does just that.

I thought the whole hair pulling / nest building thing was really bizarre in a male bunny, that's why I asked.

The other bun Mac is sooooooo mellow - he will happily sit on my lap, or hang out in the pen, or nap in his hideaway box. Not Molly. He's like a bunny on crack at times LOL. Fun to watch though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back