Odd behavior aggressive/fearful...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofu_pup

Reaction score
I've had my female miniature lop for almost a year now. When I bought her she was extremely fearful but she's come a long way since then. During the past couple of weeks though she has started biting...a lot. I was handfeeding her most of her daily vegetables as a bonding routine. I don't know what has happened. Now I have to drop the food and move away quickly. She got my arm today and I actually bled which is such a dramatic change. Before all this, she never bit me, not once.

Help?

No.

Why would that change her behavior so suddenly?

hormones. SHe might be suffering a false pregnancy, she might just be moody due to hormones.

Not sure that's it, but it could be. Other people who have had unspayed females might have more to offer.... but it's definitely something that has happened in some.

It couldn't hurt to give it a try. I've been planning a big spay/neuter party for everybody anyway.

This is an article I've typed up for you from 'Rabbiting On' Winter Edition. It might be worth reading it and seeing if you can apply any of it to her. If you can understand her aggression, then it should help you to work through it.

'Aggression in Rabbits.

When a rabbit displays aggression rowards its owner there can be several underlying causes. Until these aew fully understood a solution to the problem may be difficult to achieve.

In the first instance a full medical examination should take place with a veterinary surgeon to ascertain whether there is any pain or discomfort that could be causing or contributing to the problem. Once a medical reason for the aggression has been eliminated then the manner in which the behaviour has developed and its onset should be investigated before a diagnosis and treatment plan are advised.

These are the main types of aggression towards people; along with the motivation onset and displayed behaviour.

Fear Aggression

In human terms - "stay well away or I will bite you"

Rabbits are prey animals and, as such, are liable to normal flight responses, freeze behaviours and then aggression if all else fails.

A rabbit that was not sufficiently handled as a kitten or which has experienced bad handling by its owners can feel nervous when it is handled on subsequent occassions. Ideally it would like to run away from the owners hand but the wall of the hutch or the home does not allow this, so aggression becomes the only option. The situation worsens as the owner becomes more wary of the rabbit's behaviour or handles the rabbit roughly to try and gain control.

Territorial Aggression

In human terms - "Get off my land"

A rabbit that has gained access to a good source of food will defend that resource against intruders and competition. We can appear to be an intruder when we put our hand into the rabbit's hutch orcage to refill its bowl of food or clean outits toilet area.

This form of aggression may be accompanied by grunting sounds and often develops in line with maturity. Females can be more competitive than males.

Learned Aggression

In human terms - "I know that this works so I will do it again"

When aggression appears to be successful then a rabbit will learn to use the behaviour more (quite understandably). 'Success' may mean a response from the owner or the perceived thret retreating.

Usually the aggression becomes apparent in an adolescent or adult rabbit that has had sufficient experiences to learn that the aggression is successful.

An example of this type of aggression occurs when a rabbit attacks the owner's hand and the owner stops trying to touch the rabbit, closes the hutch door and walks away. After several of these occurrences the rabbit learns that the aggression removed the threat and reacts quicker on subsequent occassions. Whereas once the rabbit was only aggressive when it was stroked, in no time it will be aggressive as soon as the hutch door is opened.

Idiopathic Aggression

In human terms 2oh my goodness, did I just hit you"

Occassionally there is no obvious motvation or trigger to the aggression and we have to consider that the rabbit has inherited a genetic component that makes them more likely to be aggressive. These cases can be impossible to treat but, thankfully, are rare

Further Reading (some of this will only apply if you are in the UK)

RWA leaflet 'Biting the Hand that Feeds' - available by sending a stamped addressed A5 envelope to RWA, PO Box 603, Horsham, West Sussex, RH13 5WL

Keeping a Rabbit by Emma Magnus

What does my Rabbit?By Anne Mc Bride (I have this book and it's great)'

Flashy, that's great info!

Bo has that "it works" thing down pat! He knows he gets a reaction from us if he nips. That's why we're working towards a reaction he doesn't like. Putting his head down and covering his eyes is what I've been doing.

Anyhow, there are answers to most of these issues - it's just finding them!

Latest posts

Back