Ocd?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketsMommy2012

Reaction score
I bought rocket a Timothy hay mat and hut and he's okayy with the mat but HATES the hut. He flips it and moves it around his cage. I'm trying to put more activities in his cage bc I think him having a lot of space in there is why he's inappropriately urinating. I was wondering if it could be like OCD? He always has been this way with new things added to his cage. I was trying to keep it in a little corner where it would be out of the way and neat but nope. He's moves it. View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1421522993.833959.jpg

I have a similar issue with my bunny and his litter bin. I like it in the corner because it's out of the way (he is free range) however he insists on shoving it approximately 10 inches from wither wall. I wouldn't say it's ocd but in the same manner I want it near the wall he wants it in the middle. He still uses the box wherever it is I have just given up moving it back a million times...

Also, my rabbit loves to toss things around like his toys. He seems like he hates them because he sort of slams things on the ground. It could be that he doesn't hate it he just likes playing with it by tossing it around??

Again, I'm a newbie bunny owner so just tossing some ideas around. :)

It doesn't sound to me like your bunny hates his hut, it sounds like he likes it! Rabbits are rather destructive in nature. They like to bite, chew, scratch, tunnel...the best toys are toys they can totally destroy.

As for moving things to the middle of the cage, I think this has to do with their nature as prey animals. Few of my rabbits want to be "exposed" in the middle of their cage or play area. They feel safer and more secure along the outer edges and move all their belongings to the middle of the cage.

It sounds to me like your bunny is pretty normal. :)

Bunnies are fussy interior decorators. If he hated it, he'd never touch it, or try to push it out of his cage at every opportunity. Sounds like he just wants to have his things juuuuust the way he likes it, boo to the humans' silly idea of "neatness". :)

Also, a lot of space does not cause inappropriate urinating. My bunnies have the whole living room to run around in and they still only pee in their one litterbox. Lots of space is a good thing, let him have it.

Inappropriate urinating is caused by buns needing to mark their territory. If you spay/neuter as most of us bunny owners do, your bun's urge to mark will be greatly decreased. However, any bun will want to mark if they feel insecure in their territory, such as if stranger animal scents are around or people keep reaching into their cage to grab them. Try to keep your bunny feeling as safe and secure as possible, and read up on litter training your bun:

http://rabbit.org/faq-litter-training-2/
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/litter.shtml

Rabbits have a very highly developed sense of order, a place for everything and everything in its place. It's called "Bun Shui".

I once moved the dining room table and chairs to the side of the room when I had a Scout meeting at my house. Natasha was in her cage during the meeting, of course - too many chances to get stepped on - but the moment I let her out she ran to the middle of the dining room where the table ought to be and sat there glaring at me and thumping until the table was moved back. Once I moved the table she hopped off happily, job well done.

Rocket just got neutered 2 weeks ago. He started urinating in one spot of his cage after I got him a bigger cage so I'm sure it's environmental changes. But I don't want to put him in a small cage. He does use his litter box 90% of the time but never fails to at least pee once in that spot everyday. I've tried putting the litter box in that spot but he still pees outside. I'm hoping after his hormones dissipate, he stops peeing outside.

My Bun Yuki doesn't like me putting things where I want them, if she doesnt like shell start throwing a trantrum and throwing EVERYTHING in her cage then a little later shell put it bak the way she wants it. I dont think they like change that much xD she kept throwing her food dish and litterbox/litter and making a big big mess so I bought a food dish and litter box that is meant to stay by attaching it to the cage wire. she tried and tried to move both but ouldnt so she gave up on those ones. I could care less about the other things x)

Latest posts

Back