Occassional coughing type thingy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Apologies for posting, just thought I would make use of the Infirmary while I'm here.

In the middle of the night last night I heard a sort of spluttering cough type thing (similar to what they might do if they could wretch, or like when they stuff too much in their mouth in one go). I lept out of bed and all four bunnies were asleep, so I was none the wiser as to who it was.

Today, Badger was asleep and then did the spluttering cough again, so its him. He is not distressed by it in the slightest. He is not showing any signs of being ill at all (lively, stuffing his face, excellent poos, no signs or symptoms or anything different at all), in any way, but will definitely be checked out. He is finished a moult so he may have a hair caught somewhere. He had spurs in January, but has had no signs since. Nothing at all is different for him.

He will be fully checked though, hopefully on Monday I just need to know what I should be asking for, and what I should get checked out.

Apology for posting? :?

There is no need for that :biggrin2:...
:D
Happy to have you post anytime, anywhere Tracy:D

My only experience with that sound was with Babette. I always said that she had a lower respiratory tract infection but it was not actually in her lungs but more of a trachealinfection as far as the vets here could guess. She would make a loudsound very much like a human clearing their throat.

The difference between her and Badger is that she would become vrey sick at the same time..meaning that she would have increased and labored respirations and totally lose her appetite.

I don't know what it could be with Badger other than possbly hair in his throat (as you thought) .I would just tell the vet exactly what you told us and also watch for any other symptoms between now and Mon.

I hope that it turns out to be nothing serious.
Maybe you could get it on camera( don't know if you have one ..to show the vet) and also us..

Flashy wrote:
Apologies for posting, just thought I would make use of the Infirmary while I'm here.

In the middle of the night last night I heard a sort of spluttering cough type thing (similar to what they might do if they could wretch, or like when they stuff too much in their mouth in one go). I lept out of bed and all four bunnies were asleep, so I was none the wiser as to who it was.

Today, Badger was asleep and then did the spluttering cough again, so its him. He is not distressed by it in the slightest. He is not showing any signs of being ill at all (lively, stuffing his face, excellent poos, no signs or symptoms or anything different at all), in any way, but will definitely be checked out. He is finished a moult so he may have a hair caught somewhere. He had spurs in January, but has had no signs since. Nothing at all is different for him.

He will be fully checked though, hopefully on Monday I just need to know what I should be asking for, and what I should get checked out.
while sleeping,,badger does a coughing thing,,.i am a thinking--if it is a bad thing--we could have nasal drainage into the mouth--beginings of an upper respiratory infection-while holding him listen for congestion,drainage,gewy eyes,sorta stuff--a radiograph may be needed to check lungs and skull-(facial-teeth,etc.)--......sincerely james waller:wave:

Thanks Maureen. Yes, there is absolutely no indication of him being ill in the slightest. Right now I'm spending pretty much all my waking hours with Badger (because he is being bonded to my newest addition) and I obviously sleep in the same room as him so would have a good idea if it was more common, or he was showing other signs that two coughs. I'm going to struggle to catch it on camera though short of filming him continuously between now and tomorrow, because its not a common thing, and doesn't even happen each time he goes to sleep.

Thanks James. Your thoughts seem to be similar to mine. It has only happened when sleeping and I'm wondering if something was draining. I did wonder about tooth root problems, I did wonder about drool from spurs. He's not showing any other signs of anything, his eyes are bright and clear, his nose is normal, no drool around his mouth, his breathing lookss normal, definitely not laboured or anything at all.

Thanks very much guys :)

Well, on close inspection, Badger appears absolutely fine. The only problem is that on the right side of his mouth he appears to have a clutch of spurs, however, they are not currently causing him any problems other than the coughing (so no gut problems, etc). That's awesome news because that means he should come sailing through his dental on Thursday. We also discussed head x-rays to see what his tooth roots are doing too.

He has no signs of any respiratory problems at all, not lung problems or heart problems. So hopefully the having the spurs burred should sort it out.

Glad to hear that Badger is going to be ok. Will be thinking of both of you on Thursday...any vet visit is stressful for me, at least!

Btw, it's good to "see" you, Tracy!

Thanks Grace :) Yes, it will be stressful, for sure. I've also had another bun have a dental today too. It's going to be a hard week!

Latest posts

Back