Occasionally, something good DOES happen...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbitmom12

Reaction score
Last week we got acall from our mortgage company to let us know that they are lowering our interest rate, refinancing the mortgage, and lowering the payment by almost 40%!! I almost cried!! We came SO close to losing our house several times in the past year. I guess it took a major crisis in our actual county to get our mortgage company to look at our problem in anew way.

So here's what happened: About a year ago, we were several payments behind with no end in sight, when our bank's collection department called and offered to let us "repay" the past due amounts by increasing our payments by $200 a month until they were caught up. Helpful, right? Well, NOT! We had no choice but to give it a go, unless we wanted to just let them foreclose. So, we've struggled and struggled for months. So, next thing you know, here comes the Mortgage Bailout deal from the American Taxpayer to the banks of the country.

EXCEPT....our bank never engaged in the risky loans, is not accepting any federal funds from the bailout, and is under NO obligation to help anyone whatsoever!!! However, I think our mortgage collections department got tired of calling me evey month to "encourage" the full payment, plus the extra $200. I got tired of explaining our high medical bills, my unemployment, Dave's paycuts, etc. etc., so I finally just said, "We live in Elkhart County!! Highest unemployment in the nation!! You want to take our house, take it! GOOD LUCK SELLING IT HERE!!!" Suddenly....change of tune! Long story, shortened a bit, they offered to let us write a letter outlining our "hardship and involuntary inability to pay", and requesting a restructuring ofsome sort. To my shock and awe, they accepted everything we said, and agreed to every one of our proposals to make our house affordable to keep! WHOOPEE!!

Just had to share this with you all...we've certainly lamented on the forum enough, and so many of you have sent your thoughts and prayers for our finances! Thanks, each and every one!!

Wow that wonderful.

I am so happy for you thats what a lot of banks need to do so that people can keep there homes that great i am so happy for you.

My mom almost got forclosed on all my sybling pulled together what ever we could to pull her out of her bump and put her 3 months ahead. She has had her house for 18 years and will be done paying in two more years.

But she is a relator and has no work and her company layed her off. So all the sybling are going to try to keep her in the house tell ins done being payed on. One of my sisters even moved in so she could put her rent money towards the house.

I give 300 a month and max out my credit card for my mom. I have no credit if something happens to the pet right now. My mom is turning her gauge into a one room apartment we may move in there to help her not sure yet?

Oh sorry to hyjack just got to thinking about my mom

wow that is great!! congrats on that

That's AWESOME! I'm really happy for you! Right now it's really bad there, I know. It's bad everywhere but you are people I think about all the time during this horrible time.

I can't believe how hard it is. My husband's work usually picks up this time of year.. I worry towards December if he could get laid off and he was working 50 hours a week....... they've cut them to 40 now. He's making HALF of what he used to make and we're struggling..... with my son getting ready to graduate and attend college.

I've had people ask why I don't sell the horse, the trailer, etc., and I say "HOW? no one else has the money and if I did sell him, I'd get about $100 IF that....."...

My horses cost me less than any of the other animals. They also bring my family joy and they are at least an outlet for my teenage daughter. If nothing else, she can go ride Kota in the pasture and does!

I wonder how much I could get out of a grouchy old husband? ;)

I really glad to hear that the bank was finally willing to help you out.

I know a couple people who were in trouble with their mortgages, and attempted to refinance, but their banks told them if they couldn't manage their current payments, they just couldn't refinance to lower their payments and keep them in their houses.

I just don't understand that.

Thanks one and all. It has been a big relief.

Beth M ~ I know what you mean about the banks refusing to refinance to help lower a person's payment. We had requested it twice in the past, but the bank just laughed. I guess now that it comes down to, "Who else could buy the house if we foreclose?", they decided they better get more realistic!

Bo B ~ Yeah, we try to stay positive here, but when 1/2 the people you know are in the same unemployed status, it's hard. You worry about each other! My uncle was diagnosed with inoperable esophogeal cancer last week...the same week all 4 of his adultsons lost their jobs (they all worked at the same foundry). As much as I want to whine and complain, I really wouldn't want to trade places with them!

Exactly! I mean, we know we're alive and have a roof.... it's just the other bills piling up.... ugh! but it's doable..... just sucks! LOL!

I'm so sorry about your uncle! and his sons.... it's horrible up there. :(

Latest posts

Back