Obesity

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Females have dewlaps so they can pull out the fur from their dewlaps to prepare nests for their kits (babies) and keep them warm. (With some breeds, both male and females have dewlaps. Just the same, with some breeds it may be more difficult to see the dewlap.)

Here is a good image:

rabbit_parts_labeled.jpg

dewlapjpg.jpg

I cut up carrot into small portions and put on her tray dish overnight, it disappeared next morning. Now I cut up vege into small portions and see whether she will munch it off. :D

For young baby and teenage buns, I would stick with unlimited alfalfa and unlimited pellets for the time being. They need the extra energy and calcium for their bones to grow.

Perhaps save the introductions of veggies and fruits when your dwarf is older. And when your dwarf is old enough, introduce veggies and fruits very slowly one-by-one, so you can monitor how well their systems take it (by looking and inspecting their poops). Carrots, green peppers, and fruits are good ideas for treats because of the high sugar content (perhaps once a week; and again introduce very slowly and one at a time). [Edit: Fruits and other sugary items should be in low doses; general rule that I use is no more than the tip of your thumb for sweets.]

Thanks Mrbunny for the advice. I will stick to pellets and unltd hay for time being.

I noticed she eats little pellets & hay but love treats whenever I hand out to her.

I actually thought Rabi was overweight until I groomed her... I took off so much hair that it made her look normal again.

domho7 wrote:
I noticed she eats little pellets & hay but love treats whenever I hand out to her.
I like treats/dessert better than nutritious food, too. So the pellets must come first & the treat after your rabbit has had enough pellets.

Latest posts

Back