Oberon

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Oberon was sick yesterday. He'sfine now, all he needed was gas meds and now he's eating and poopingwith the best of them. But I hope I don't have to do thatagain anytime soon! I can do pretty much anything I want tothis rabbit without too much of a fuss, but put a syringe in his mouthand he gets mad. James was helping me hold him and he got apretty good bite on the hand for his efforts.

I hope we don't have to do that again any time soon!:nope:

Hehe!! I can picture the struggle...wehaven't had to struggle with Flower like that yet...and I don't lookforward to the possible day that we do, too! :disgust:

I'm glad Oberon's okay, though. :)

naturestee wrote:
Tiny? He's bigger than my cats.:D

Greetings all, it looks like its time for my quarterly posting again so here it is.

Oberon has been evicted again. He will now be spending hisdaytimes in the front part of the bunny room so he can see the otherswhenever he wants to through the cages. A solid piece is upbetween Oberon and Mocha/Loki's cage and a fine mesh screen is upbetween Oberon and Fey/Sprite's cage.
To finish off the ability of the pets to co-socialize, I also spenthalf a day planning and setting up a mesh gate to cover the wholedoorframe to the bunny room so that Angela and the cats can come overand say hi whenever they want without having to open the door all thetime.

Here is the doorframe gate.
2r7ad94.jpg

It is a bunch of the wire squares hung from hooks at the top andlatched in place by two quick hooks. The pet gate is thelower half and a screen mesh connect the two with two quickclips. This makes it so no amount of tugging and climbingwill give even an inch of space to wiggle through from the very top allthe way to the bottom. And the whole thing can be put up ortaken down with at the most 10 seconds. I could probably haveit down in under two if I needed to.

Here is a picture from our couch.

42jc9vl.jpg

See how everyone can interact with the group that they are friendlywith without any groups that don't like each other being able to reacheach other. Now their can be no gripping about being lonely.

Mr. Stee

Wow!! That's wonderful!! Canyou PM me or post how you did it? I plan on having a room forthe herd when we get a house (probably around this time next year), andI've been wrackin' my brain trying to think of how we would make it sothey could still interact with us and the kitties when they were in forthe night. That would be a PERFECT idea!

So, please, share how you did it...:D

LOL. I love it! Great plan.funny how we rearrange our homes and our lives to accomodate the needsof our bunnies (and other pets!).

Here is the details of the different parts of the mesh doorway.

The top two thirds is made of normal NIC cube grates put together toform a panel large enough to cover the door where needed. Ifyou don't have any problems with it, you could do the grates all theway to the floor. I couldn't cause then Oberon would be ableto get to some of the carpet as you can see below.
33ykhl0.jpg

That is why the bottom is the normal pet gate made of coated wire (sohe can't chew through it.). This was because the pet gatecould be put on the inside half of the door frame and block him fromgetting at any carpet.
The grates are hung from two homemade hooks made out of doubled upstiff wire that I bent into the proper shape and hooked over the doormolding. I then used a screw and washer to further anchor itin place (see below picture).
4dciwhs.jpg

The grates are just hung from those hooks. I then screwed agate latch type of hook to either side of the door frame.These hooks are used to hold the grates firmly against the door frameso no animal can push it away and sneak through. Simple lineup the hook and latch portions to go over one of the wires of thegrates. (See Below)
35jl8qe.jpg

I then needed something to span the gap between the grates and the petgate. So I used a remenant of the fine mesh grating Angela so loves touse. I wrapped the top part around the bottom of the gratesand clipped the bottom part to the pet gate using quickclips. (See Below)
2a9punm.jpg

315fos5.jpg

This makes it so all you have to do to put it up or take it down ishook the gate into the top hooks, latch the two gate latchs, lock inthe pet gate, and clip the grating to the gate. If there isan emergency the whole thing could be tossed aside quickly by throwingthe two gate latches and popping the pet gate, then the whole messwould come off in one chunk. I found this to be easily donein under two seconds when I tested it.
There it is for anyone who wants it. If there is questions,PM naturestee. My account isn't checked very often so byPMing her, your questions will get answered quicker.

Cool beans on the therapy bun thing!Can you do it more often? Get him on the payroll?:biggrin: And glad Oberon isfeelingbetter. No making friends with the syringe with a littlebanana?

angieluv wrote:
He's too sexy for his cage ..too sexy for his greens ..too sexy for his toys..... too sexy for himself....

Shelter bunny"reject" makesfame and fortune in southeast Wi.

He was "discovered" in a dog crate in a shelter in southwest Wi where avolunteer recognized the buddingtalent and star qualitypresence of this New Zealand White raised for a snake's dinner who isnow the dream rabbit of any female bunny ..including the spayed ones.What a face , what a bod , what a guy!!!

rofl3.gif

naturestee wrote:

Wow :shock: All this time I thought it was Hoe Toe too.

Mr. Stee wrote:
Here is the details of the different parts of the mesh doorway.
Angela, can I borrow James? Just for awhile? I canhave him back in time for Christmas. :pleaseplease:

sas :) and the gang:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:
expert.gif

Thank you so much for all that information abouthow to construct the gate! I'll keep mental note of where itis, and refer back to it when we have a house. :)

Thanks so much!! :D

SAS, you can not have him for that long. What would I do? Who would mow the lawn!:shock:

But if you move down by me you can borrow him for a day now and then.;)

I have been so busy obsessing over that certainmember of the forum...that I never looked at this post. What afantastic arrangement...WOW!!!!

What I would do have a set up like that in my house !!

Maybe Mr. Stee Should hire himself out as an house rabbit architect

What a cage..whata set-up...what creativity!!!!!!!!!!!

Maureen, you're close enough that I could lendhim out for a weekend. As long as I get to snuggle (orsmuggle?:D) your bunnies!

Good news folks! I finally have some actual progress on thebonding front! I'm still working with each girlindividually. Fey started grooming Oberon on the nose andears a little this weekend. And I just did a bonding sessionwith Sprite this morning. I haven't been working with hermuch because I need my hubby to drive the car. They had stillbeen aggressive if I just put them in the tub together. Well,today Sprite licked Oberon on the nose a little. I guess allhe needed was a little encouragement from her, because he startedlicking her nose, ears, shoulders, butt, and then mountingher! They're still a bit nippy with each other, but giventime things should definately settle down between them.

Ever see a 10 lb bunny mounting a 2 lb bunny? He had to double over her!

Pics of today's bonding! Sorry they're not as good as normal,I had to keep a hand ready to separate them just in case.

Licking the shoulders and looking awfully sneaky
100_3251a.jpg

Um, other way dear. Sprite does not look amused.
100_3254a.jpg

A lovely pose from Sprite.
100_3259a.jpg

Mmm, toilet paper. Melts in your mouth, not on your paws!
100_3256a.jpg

An older pic- a very squishy Oberon!
100_3245a.jpg

Those pictures made me smile. I'm so glad there is some progress on bonding. I hope it continues into a great friendship.

Latest posts

Back