Obama's Running Mate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gentle giants wrote:
I am also pro-life, yes, even in cases of rape or incest. First because even if it is the product of rape, it's still a child, and it deserves to have whatever life it can. There is always adoption for anyone who would not want to raise such a child. Plus that's why we have the morning after pill.
Now I am going to shut up, before I REALLY get into a rant, LOL.
I guess I just want to put a bit of a personal touch on this topic. I really don't expect anyone to agree with me - but it might give them something to think about.

My birthmom was 13 when she conceived me - out of rape. It was incest. She was 14 when she had me.

Had abortion been legal in 1960 - I might not be here - and my kids obviously wouldn't be here.

When I found her, I thought I'd wind up someone someone who was emotionally unstable after the abuse she suffered (for years)....I wondered if she'd had a normal life, etc.

She said she was fine. Yes - it was tough. She went to live with a sister in another town. But never ever did abortion even cross her mind....nor did her family ever discuss it.

Domino - feel free to rant all you want - I feel the same way about your candidates that you feel about mine - and I do my share of ranting (ok - so I do most of it yelling at the computer monitor).

I believe that abstinence should be taught in the school - along with birth control. I was under the impression that was the way Sarah Palin felt too - but I haven't researched it.

I think this is going to be one of the most interesting election seasons coming up - is everyone else looking forward to the debates?

I think this is going to be one of the most interesting election seasons coming up - is everyone else looking forward to the debates?
Yes, believe it or not, I am.

While I have my views on all the things that have been mentioned here, the issues that really impact my life would have to be summed up as:

• the economy
  • education
  • healthcare
I swear every election I am wondering if any of our elected leaders actually try to do something to make any of these better for the entire population and not just focus on their own careers and reelection. Call me cynical and undecided...besides carrots and craisins, where does melody frankenbunny stand? I always vote but I'm really struggling this time around. At least I have 60 days left to decide:?

kirst3buns wrote:

While I have my views on all the things that have been mentioned here, the issues that really impact my life would have to be summed up as:

• the economy
  • education
  • healthcare
I swear every election I am wondering if any of our elected leaders actually try to do something to make any of these better for the entire population and not just focus on their own careers and reelection. Call me cynical and undecided...besides carrots and craisins, where does melody frankenbunny stand? I always vote but I'm really struggling this time around. At least I have 60 days left to decide:?
Dr. Melody Frankenbunny stands for the total subjugation of the human race by rabbits. She wishes to enslave all humans to do her will. She is a sneaky, dirty-fighting, rable rousing, radical lagomorph terrorist and has been known to drop bunny 'pellets' in Easter baskets to scare small children into submission. She believes in applying her teeth and using intimidation to secure agreement. She is big, bold, loud and dramatic. The thing she loves most is being diabolical and devious. She also loves Craisins and mass quantities of cold hard cash. She is completely and utterly self-centered, ruthlessand untrustworthy. Dr. Mel will order you on how to vote. There will be only one candidate on her ballot.

On the other hand, there is her human owner, keeper, slave, guardian who is many things including a registered Republican,a Nazarene, and attempting to become a notorious eccentric. Said human enjoys the occassionalflirtation with the arbitrary and capricious but is usually quite boring. The human part of theFranknbunny regimeis currently dusting off her ancient Masters thesis onThomas Jefferson, the intent of the framers of the Constitution in writing the First Amendment and separationists (of which, she is one as was TJ).She plans on making use of this in a future post (oh....yawn).

The human is currently wondering when is lunch going to be served, why do people use the terms evangelical, fundamentalist and pentecostal as if they mean the same thing and why do people confuse rational deism, intelligent design and creationism and believe they are the same.

Frankenbunny says: Vote early and often

Human says: Voting is precious hard-earned right that our forefathers and mothers fought and died to obtain and defend.

seniorcats wrote:
kirst3buns wrote:

• the economy
  • education
  • healthcare
Dr. Melody Frankenbunny stands for the total subjugation of the human race by rabbits. She wishes to enslave all humans to do her will. She is a sneaky, dirty-fighting, rable rousing, radical lagomorph terrorist and has been known to drop bunny 'pellets' in Easter baskets to scare small children into submission. She believes in applying her teeth and using intimidation to secure agreement. She is big, bold, loud and dramatic. The thing she loves most is being diabolical and devious. She also loves Craisins and mass quantities of cold hard cash. She is completely and utterly self-centered, ruthlessand untrustworthy. Dr. Mel will order you on how to vote. There will be only one candidate on her ballot.
How very refreshing, a candidate who is not afraid to be honest. :biggrin2:

Wow. You said everythingI was feeling.

~Domino~ wrote:
I'm like most of you, and most of the people I have talked to, I don't necessarily like either of the presidential candidates. I've never been a big Clinton supporter but I can honestly admit I was strongly leaning towards her. After she "lost" the race, I haven't known whether or not I was for Obama or McCain.

I just turned 18 in August and I've always wanted to vote. So as you can imagine I've been following the race pretty closely. I was raised a Republican. My father is retired from the military after serving 20 something odd years. He has VERY strong Republican views. I also believed I was republican, up until the middle of my freshman year in high school. That's when I finally opened my eyes to the world around me and saw it for what it really is.

As of right now, I will probably be voting for Obama. I believe McCain's views are too conservative (and they really aren't that conservative). Our society needs a change of which is not going to happen if we keep conservative views. Obviously the society in which we are living in is changing and there is going to be a great struggle if the administration that is in office tries to keep a conservative view.

I definitely made my choice on who I am going to vote for after I heard who McCain chose as his vice presidential candidate. Even thinking that she may become a vice president sickins me for A LOT of reasons. Don't get me wrong, I am a woman and I believe it is about time there has been a woman in office. She however, is NOT that woman. Reasons you ask? Here are some:

She supports having intelligent design taught in schools. For some of you this might actually be something you are for. However to me this is a diaster. I am going to school to be a veterinarian (I'm an undergraduate going through the pre-vet program right now) and so as you can imagine, I am having to take lots of science courses. To have intelligent design brought into the science textbook really bothers me on so many levels. I could write pages on why this is such a bad idea but I will say this, I believe in seperation of Church and State. If someone actually wants to debate on this believe me I will, but I will just say I believe she is wrong on this stance.

She wants to open ANWR for drilling. Ummm...how will this help us anytime soon? According to the Energy Information Administration, we wouldn't see the price of gas drop until the year 2026 to $.75 a barrel! So quite frankly, if America (even the rest of the world) is still dependent upon oil by that year, we are in big bunny crap. This is one thing that sounds great but it's going to take way too long before we even see any of the oil of Alaska. Also, ANWR isn't going to be able to produce enough oil to make us Americans happy whether we like it or not. So we would still be at the mercy of OPEC that can increase/decrease oil production in order to affect oil prices world wide. Also, she argues that ANWR oil development drilling is only going to effect 2000 acres out of I believe 19 million acres (please correct me if I'm wrong). That sounds pretty good right? Wrong. Roads, support structures, pipelines, etc. are all going to have to be built in order to keep drilling sustained. Thus it will take up much more space. We all know that roads basically kill the wilderness anyways.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/servicerpt/anwr/results.html

McCain and her are both for abstinence-only education. If you grew up in the era that I did, you and I both know that this doesn't work. The media portrays sex more and more everyday and teens are naturally drawn to it. So you think that telling us teens we aren't allowed to have sex at all is going to keep teens from doing it? Wrong. Unfortuantly this looks good on paper but doesn't work in a real world with real people. Whether or not anyone likes it, I know from experience most of my peers have had sex (not necessarily intercourse I suppose you can say) in their early teen/pre-teen years for the first time. It's sad yes and most probably contract a disease of some kind. Safe sex has to be taught in the classrooms, that's all I can say. I hate the fact that it has to be but abstience-only education hasn't lowerd teen pregnancy but almost like it highered the rate. Another thing that makes me go Huh? with Paulin is that she ha a daughter that is 17 and is pregnant? So where do these abstinence-only education methods work if even her daughter is having trouble with the issue? Perhaps there is more to this story so I am not going to try to poke holes into it...yet.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8470845/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080319151225.htm

She's Anti-Choice. Palin, a member of the anti-choice group Feminists for Life, said during her campaign for governor that she is opposed to abortion, even in cases of rape or incest. I have to admit I am Pro-choice. I believe it is the woman's choice. I also strongly do not believe a woman should have to give birth to a baby concieved from rape or incest. Mind you I do not support partial birth of any kind. I don't categorize myself as a feminist but I believe having Palin as a vice president would set women back from moving forward. America is such a great country because we, women and men, have certain freedoms that many other countries don't. I would rather that not to be taken away or restricted. It really bothers me that she is a woman but yet..it's almost as if she is trying to hold women back.
http://www.naral.org/elections/election-pr/pr08292008_palin.html
http://www.feministing.com/archives/010705.html

Now I just made a huge post and I have more to say but I'm gonna go eat something and then study some. Just hearing how a lot of people think she's the greatest choice McCain could ever had made, really REALLY bothers me. I kinda felt like I had to rant.

kirst3buns wrote:
Not only honest, I bet she will follow through on all those campaign promises and really get something done!:D
I agree. I really like her. Im a political science major and used to be majorly active in the campaigns and such. I got very jaded in the past few years feeling like neither side had any answers. I have to say, Im not sure whether or not anyone can turn this country around (especially with this do-nothing congress) but for the first time in a while Im very excited about politics again. I got a little teary eyed listening to Governor Palin last night. I really like her energy and attitude.

Ok this is where I want to comment.

gentle giants wrote:
Well, I gotta admit, everything you just mentioned here just makes me like her more. I will try not to rant at all on this, cause these are subjects that are very near and dear to me.

~Domino~ wrote:
She supports having intelligent design taught in schools. For some of you this might actually be something you are for. However to me this is a diaster. I am going to school to be a veterinarian (I'm an undergraduate going through the pre-vet program right now) and so as you can imagine, I am having to take lots of science courses. To have intelligent design brought into the science textbook really bothers me on so many levels.
I do think that this is a good idea. I will not go into all the reasons why right now, but I think evolution islaughable, personally.
Advocates of intelligent design argue that it is a scientific theory,[11][/suP] and seek to fundamentally redefine science to accept supernatural explanations.[12] Where is supernatural science????[/suP]
McCain and her are both for abstinence-only education. If you grew up in the era that I did, you and I both know that this doesn't work. The media portrays sex more and more everyday and teens are naturally drawn to it. So you think that telling us teens we aren't allowed to have sex at all is going to keep teens from doing it? Wrong.
I am no expert, but here's the thing. It is true that the media is constantly portaying sex everywhere you look, (mabye we should do something about that, too?) but I think that is all the more reason to teach abstinence. Mabye a compromise would be in order here? Make sure that birth control isstill available, and information on how to use it, whatever the teaching, I do believe that is neccesary.
She's Anti-Choice. Palin, a member of the anti-choice group Feminists for Life, said during her campaign for governor that she is opposed to abortion, even in cases of rape or incest.
I think that abstinence can be taught along with everything else. I myself waited till I was married. Yes wespent the night together but till we were married.Did my mom expect me to. Yes but because I wanted to. My mom was one who said if I considered having sex to let her know so she could put me on birthcontrol. I think it is the parents jobs to be open and HONEST with their children. From a young age I knew what sex was and that I had to be ready. and old enough.My mom never lied and for that I thank her. My mom taught me to respect myself, and to be safe.
I am also pro-life, yes, even in cases of rape or incest. First because even if it is the product of rape, it's still a child, and it deserves to have whatever life it can. There is always adoption for anyone who would not want to raise such a child. Plus that's why we have the morning after pill. I cannnot even imagine getting an abortion. And yes, I have been faced with being pregnant out of wedlock, and it wasn't even a consideration for me. I know you probably don't have any kids yet, but I don't know how anyone who does have kids can look at their own child and think it's ok to kill one. To me, the abortion decision is not about the woman, it's about the child. Rape victims are only a small portion of those who get abortions, and anyone who has sex willingly and gets pregant-well, if you are old enough to have sex, you are old enough to know what could happen. I have no sympathy, and like I said, I've been there.
So do we go back to times where girls were sent to "Aunt Marys" to help with the kids because "Aunt Mary" is sick and needs help? Or do wego to a time where women died because of botched abortions?What about the mom who is at risk of dying?Does a girl or a woman have to spend nine months living through the constant reminder of what they went through.

Do we lock girls away in a home, force them to lie to everyone about where they have been?Do we teach them to be ashamed. I think that is where we would be headed ifit wasn't legal.

Rape and incest... Some despite such horrible things even with the abilityto choose abortion still have the baby.Why should they not have the right.Some choose to still have the child. Some raise the child others give them up for adoption.

But if a girl is raped and she takes the morning after pill just because there could be a chance. I don't think she should have that taken away.

My mom should not have had us. Did she know that at the time no. She almost died both times with us. She spent longer in the hospital than my brother who was born at 7months in 1987. She had 2 tubal pregancies. She was going to have them aborted in the end she did but the babies had already died. I love my brother more than anyone else. He is right there with my husband. I love my other siblings (half and step) just as much. Would I have loved those two babies? Yes more than anything. Would I have wanted them or my mother? I would choose my mother. Now if it was me? I have it in writing the baby comes first. I am second. I don't care what the reason I would give my life for any child.

I also have the belief that if that life meant to be it will.

Than there is saying. Unless you have walked in a persons shoes....

gentle giants wrote:
Well, I gotta admit, everything you just mentioned here just makes me like her more. I will try not to rant at all on this, cause these are subjects that are very near and dear to me.

~Domino~ wrote:
She supports having intelligent design taught in schools. For some of you this might actually be something you are for. However to me this is a diaster. I am going to school to be a veterinarian (I'm an undergraduate going through the pre-vet program right now) and so as you can imagine, I am having to take lots of science courses. To have intelligent design brought into the science textbook really bothers me on so many levels.
I do think that this is a good idea. I will not go into all the reasons why right now, but I think evolution islaughable, personally.
McCain and her are both for abstinence-only education. If you grew up in the era that I did, you and I both know that this doesn't work. The media portrays sex more and more everyday and teens are naturally drawn to it. So you think that telling us teens we aren't allowed to have sex at all is going to keep teens from doing it? Wrong.
I am no expert, but here's the thing. It is true that the media is constantly portaying sex everywhere you look, (mabye we should do something about that, too?) but I think that is all the more reason to teach abstinence. Mabye a compromise would be in order here? Make sure that birth control isstill available, and information on how to use it, whatever the teaching, I do believe that is neccesary.
She's Anti-Choice. Palin, a member of the anti-choice group Feminists for Life, said during her campaign for governor that she is opposed to abortion, even in cases of rape or incest.
I am also pro-life, yes, even in cases of rape or incest. First because even if it is the product of rape, it's still a child, and it deserves to have whatever life it can. There is always adoption for anyone who would not want to raise such a child. Plus that's why we have the morning after pill. I cannnot even imagine getting an abortion. And yes, I have been faced with being pregnant out of wedlock, and it wasn't even a consideration for me. I know you probably don't have any kids yet, but I don't know how anyone who does have kids can look at their own child and think it's ok to kill one. To me, the abortion decision is not about the woman, it's about the child. Rape victims are only a small portion of those who get abortions, and anyone who has sex willingly and gets pregant-well, if you are old enough to have sex, you are old enough to know what could happen. I have no sympathy, and like I said, I've been there.
I do not want to infringe upon any of your personal ideals or beliefs. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, belief, and way of life. For me not to believe this way, would be hypocritical of myself. I also rather not fight or I suppose..argue, but have a sensible debate. I believe one can learn a lot from one. Anyhow, onto some things.

Okay, first of all. What makes you think that evolution is a laughing matter? Even more so, what makes you think that intelligent design has any scientific basis? Enough that it should be taught in a SCIENCE class room? How can I put this simply...science is basically a way, a tool to explain the world around us. We can use science to predict what may happen in the future. If you've taken any basic science class such as biology/chemistry/physics then you should know that scientists first ask questions (hypothesis) and run experiments. In the hypothesis there is always a way in which the hypothesis can be disproved. Thus if ever during the experiment the hypothesis is proved to be inaccurate, then the scientists starts all over with another experiment. Now if we have a hypothesis that is tested time after time by MANY scientists then it might reach becoming a Theory. Thus you just can't do one or two experiments or use limited information to have a "theory". If you talk to any scientist they will tell you that a theory basically means they (scientific community) are pretty sure the hypothesis is absolutely true for you can NEVER completely prove anything in science. Think about the "law" / "theory" of gravity. It's pretty much 99.9 percent that your pencil will drop to the floor. But there is a that little percent that it might not happen under some circumstances. But that's a whole other branch of science, known as physics, which usually only PhD's worry about.

Now onto the Theory of Evolution. Now you should know that "Theory" doesn't just mean it's thrown out there. That it's some silly thing of ideas that hasn't been tested/observed by MANY scientists throughout the world. So please, if there is one thing you take out of all this, it's that a "Theory" is NOT a hypothesis. Alright, one definition that the Webster dictionary gives us is this: "a theory that the various types of animals and plants have their origin in other preexisting types and that the distinguishable differences are due to modifications in successive generations" This is a pretty simple idea, nothing too complicated. Using this scientists are able to make predictions about species. They can even use this to help us understand why some species are they way they are. Why do Panda's have an opposable thumb? Or why do all species, including plants and us, share similar (the same in most cases) cell structures and purposes? Then can even help us understand viruses and create vaccines.

Intelligent Design tries to make itself an alternative to evolution. Now I'm not trying to bash anyone's personal religious beliefs whatever they are. I am going to try to simply explain why Intelligent Design is not an alternative to evolution and even more so, not a science. Intelligent Design in a way also tries to explain the diversity of life on earth. It simply says that life is too complicated to have arisen in any way other than having had a “designer” of some sort. For Christians I suppose this would be God. For Hindus it would be Lord Brahma. One point I’m trying to make here is that, if you plan to try to teach Intelligent Design in schools, you will have to teach it for ALL religions. We live in a country where there are many religions, whether anyone likes it or not. So even if you did get this into a public school into a SCIENCE classroom, you will run into this. Then we will have religion and sciences coinciding which is definitely not the separation of church and state. Anyways, I need to get back on track. So why isn’t it science? Can Intelligent Design be tested? Please tell me if you come up with a way, because I haven’t come across any. I’ve been studying evolution since my freshman year of high school believe it or not. Also..can you prove the existence or even absence of a “Designer”? If I remember correctly, the “Designer” is defined usually as unobservable. I suppose a few have been able to observe this “Designer” depending on the religion in question. Therefore Intelligent Design cannot be tested. In science if something cannot be tested, then it cannot be made a theory. One thing that really bothers me is that it’s almost like Intelligent Design keeps us from asking questions about the world around us. If we don’t’ ask questions and try to test the world, how would we ever cure diseases? What about finding vaccines? What about curing cancer? Understanding evolution has allowed us to understand life and many of these things to the point that we will someday find cures and vaccines. If you don’t believe me it’s about time to do just a little research. Make sure you have reliable sources too. Intelligent Design basically just states why life is the way it is. It is complex because the “Designer” made it this way. And why in the world is something too complex that it shouldn’t have questions asked? It’s almost like…don’t try to understand how life works. That’s what Intelligent Design is saying if you really read the definition. Science is HOW life is the way it is. The Theory of Evolution doesn’t even have to contradict with religion. My physics teacher was a minister. She and I had a meaningful conversation about evolution. She supports it. Yes, a Christian minister. She believes the two can go hand and hand. I do too. Here’s a couple of links that probably describe these concepts better. But I’m going to ask you gentle giant, why is Intelligent Design suitable for a science classroom? I would love to hear a good reason. Honestly. Dang that was a lot, and I just touched a small basis.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-god.html
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-intro-to-biology.html
Now onto Abstinence Only education. Quite frankly, the only way to get rid of sex and violence being portrayed so readily on the media is to do censorship. That in itself is something that shouldn’t happen in the United States. I suppose you should just make sure you know what your kids are watching. My dad even put a block on MTV. I’ve always been the weird teenager and I didn’t even watch MTV, BET, or anything like that. I was/still am a total science geek and I watch Discovery and Animal Planet and National Geographic. But that’s beside the point. I agree that birth control needs to be available. Condoms also. That’s what I believe. I’ve been through the school system recently. I’ve seen more than 15 girls from my middle school end up pregnant by the end of my senior year. Girls that I would have NEVER thought it would happen to. Why? Because I don’t believe they taught us enough about the complications and diseases that you can get by having sex at such an early age. Abstinence is a good thing yes. And it should also be taught, but it CAN’T be the only thing like Palin suggests. It just DOESN’T work. If you tell some kids not to touch a hot stove, what will some do? Touch it. Tell a teen not to go into a door? They will most likely go into it. Tell a teenager they can’t have sex, what do you think some will do? Have sex. Perhaps it’s a rebellion thing. I don’t know. Some people’s mentalities I suppose and it does have to do with some upbringing as in not enough education.
Okie dokie! Now onto Pro-Choice vs. Pro-Life. This is an odd subject for me to debate because I have mixed views. I personally know that I would NEVER have an abortion be that I have been raped or made a silly mistake. Incest on the other hand…I don’t know. There is always adoption, but have you noticed how many kids are in foster care now days? It’s sad, real sad. I don’t believe a baby should be wanted by someone in the outside world to determine whether or not it should live. But I also do not feel it is fair for a child to have to grow up in a world of drugs if that’s the way their parents live. I have personal experience in this area and I will share it if need be. The woman is carrying the child though. I agree if you get pregnant then you have made an adult decision. The child you are carrying shouldn’t be punished for your actions. But then again, the morning after pill is a form of abortion considering it is killing the baby. The baby is already starting to form after one day. If for some reason I have a kid out of accident (which is probably 99.9 percent not going to happen unless I’m raped quite honestly for reasons) like I said I won’t have an abortion. I just believe it is a woman’s choice to choose. We are all entitled to our own opinions. You have made valid points. I respect them. I just can’t bring myself to saying that abortion should be made illegal as much as the idea of having one myself is repulsive. I agree that if you are old enough to have sex you better know the consequences. I don’t believe anyone should have an abortion because they simply made a mistake or they don’t want the child. I am for abortion if it is either in the mother’s life interest (life or death), rape, or incest. The child should not be punished though. This is just a tough issue altogether.
If I have offended anyone I am deeply sorry. This is not my main intention. Nor has it ever been. I’m simply stating what I support. If you support her for what she is for, go you. That’s what’s great about the United States, you have the freedom to choose. At first I was excited because I saw that McCain picked a woman to be his Vice Presidential candidate. But after reading a lot of stuff about her, what she’s done in the past even, she has turned me completely away. Information is out there, you just have to find it and make sure it’s credible.

Haley wrote:
kirst3buns wrote:
Not only honest, I bet she will follow through on all those campaign promises and really get something done!:D
I agree. I really like her. Im a political science major and used to be majorly active in the campaigns and such. I got very jaded in the past few years feeling like neither side had any answers. I have to say, Im not sure whether or not anyone can turn this country around (especially with this do-nothing congress) but for the first time in a while Im very excited about politics again. I got a little teary eyed listening to Governor Palin last night. I really like her energy and attitude.

Aw shucks, I thought they meant Dr. Frankenbunny as candidate...

Haley, I agree with you and was also a Political Science (Comparative Government)major. I also like her energy and attitude. And I like mavericks (that goes without saying...).

TinysMom wrote:
gentle giants wrote:
I am also pro-life, yes, even in cases of rape or incest. First because even if it is the product of rape, it's still a child, and it deserves to have whatever life it can. There is always adoption for anyone who would not want to raise such a child. Plus that's why we have the morning after pill.
I guess I just want to put a bit of a personal touch on this topic. I really don't expect anyone to agree with me - but it might give them something to think about.

My birthmom was 13 when she conceived me - out of rape. It was incest. She was 14 when she had me.

Had abortion been legal in 1960 - I might not be here - and my kids obviously wouldn't be here.

When I found her, I thought I'd wind up someone someone who was emotionally unstable after the abuse she suffered (for years)....I wondered if she'd had a normal life, etc.

She said she was fine. Yes - it was tough. She went to live with a sister in another town. But never ever did abortion even cross her mind....nor did her family ever discuss it.

Domino - feel free to rant all you want - I feel the same way about your candidates that you feel about mine - and I do my share of ranting (ok - so I do most of it yelling at the computer monitor).

I believe that abstinence should be taught in the school - along with birth control. I was under the impression that was the way Sarah Palin felt too - but I haven't researched it.

Your mother has my utmost respect. Not only did she go through a pregnancy at such a young age, but also through one of horrible circumstances. I just feel that she (or a woman in her circumstances) should have had the choice to have one if the thought even crossed her mind. I'm not saying that she should have either. It's just the choice. Because I believe she, and every woman out there, has that choice. I rather not bring religion into this because...it just shouldn't be. Not if this is going to be made into a government law. Once again, separation of Church and State.

I am glad that you did meet your mother though. Not everyone has that opportunity in the circumstances that you and your mother have gone through.

From my research Sarah Palin (and McCain) seems to support just abstinence only education. In my opinion you have to throw some more sex education in there. But who knows...

Just doing some basic research of Palin's history. She really isn't making an impression on me. She sounded like she had a great speech last night. But...she isn't really telling a lot of truth. Quite honestly I'm not even looking for articles that are critics of her. I am just looking for the truth. If you even take a look at a few of these, it's why I won't even think twice about voting for McCain anymore.

This is a letter from a woman that actually knows Sarah personally. Doing just a simple google search seems that this woman is actually credible. I had to make sure because at first i also had my doubts.
http://www.crosscut.com/politics-government/17341
Doubty people?
http://fairlyconservative.com/the-race-for-president/anne-kilkenny-are-we-witnessing-the-birth-of-an-urban-legend/

This is about her speech last night, that of which I watched.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/04/ap-attacks-praise-stretch_n_123771.html

Yeah...I don't like her. Even quite a few Republicans don't think she's qualified for the job. Why they are trying to make the rest of America believe I'm not sure.

seniorcats wrote:
Haley wrote:
kirst3buns wrote:

lol- they were- I just didnt realize it.;)

Then we will have religion and sciences coinciding which is definitely not the separation of church and state.

Excuse me but I do not think you understand the meaning of 'the separation of church and state.' It does not mean freedom FROM religion nor does it mean a completely secular education, which would be an impossibility.

Separation of church and state refers to the limits our Constitution places on the power of the government (both federal and state) to legislate about religion.
The Constitution places religion almost wholly outside the reach of government. In particular, the Constitution delegates no power to government over religious affairs, and the First Amendment explicitly prohibits the government from establishing or controlling religion. The effect of this arrangement is to leave Americans free to worship, believe, and support religion as they see fit. Additionally, we believe that separation deprives government of its ability to coerce adherence to religion, or to compel the support of religion against an individual's will.

The Theory of Evolution is exactly that,a theory. Some partshave been proven and large parts have not proven. There is a world conference on evolution which meets annually to discuss those portions of the theory which have not been proven and to discuss any advances in proving the theory.

Sowhy deprive students by teaching them only one exiting theory of the origin of life? Isn't that contrary to the way in which a scientist is supposed to act? Doesn't it behove you to collect all data whether or not you 'belive in' it prior to reaching a conclusion. Excluding some data in an experiment because you do not like it is shoddy science. Isn't it? Having a conclusion, and working backwards from the conclusion to prove thatrather than collecting all evidence is also shoddy science.

I really fail to understand the narrow view that would permit only the teaching of only one theory. When I went to school all theories of the origin of humankind - Darwin's evolution, creationism and what is now called intelligent design. We were allowed exposure to all schools of thought not one narrow view. It seems that the prevalent attitude toward anything other than the theory of evolution is fear due to lack of understanding.

Why not allow students to hear all theories on the origin of life? It certainly would allow for more research and for critical thought rather than blind following the leader or accepting something out of fear of being different or ridiculed.

There is no way education can be completely secular.Imagine teaching history without mentioning the Crusades or the Holocaust, or Englishor cultural or physical anthropology or any discipline.

I am not a fan of abstinence ONLY education.I don't believe it works, although like you, I am not presenting any evidence or studies to support that contention. Apparently sex education doesn't work either as plenty of teens are pregnant and have been pregnant after years of sex education in curriculum. Personally, I advocate a combination of abstinence education, sex education and most importantly, parental responsibility in educating their boys and girls.

Another quote from your post: If I remember correctly, the “Designer” is defined usually as unobservable. I suppose a few have been able to observe this “Designer” depending on the religion in question. Therefore Intelligent Design cannot be tested (end quote)

So that which is unobservable doesn't exist and cannot be tested?

Let me take your words andmake a substitution: If I remember correctly, thewind is defined usually as unobservable. I suppose a few have been able to observe thiswind depending on the religion in question.

Ludicrous, isn't it?

Ok, I tried to make this shorter, but it is still long.
It is nice to see some people who agree with me on some things. The other boards I visit are all just bashing Palin and there is no dialog. Politics gets everyone riled up. I do believe this is the nicest discussion I have seen on politics, ever. lol.

I believe we should allow ID into the scientific dialogue. My dad is a professor and has a PhD minor in statistics, and wrote and excellent article about *why* science should allow ID. It was really long, so I paired it down some. Still really long. Anyways, ask me and I shall direct you to the full article. I know this board is always sweet to each other so sorry if anything in the article comes across as a bit stronger than the people on here are used to.

The argument to exclude intelligent design from science goes like this. Since we cannot see a designer, we cannot conclude scientifically that one exists. This is a viable argument if it were equally applied to all competing explanations. Why should such a rule arbitrarily be forced on those who accept the more plausible explanation of intelligent design and not on those who posit the less plausible explanation of totally natural forces? For example, the naturalists are coming up with their theories as to how the universe came into existence, how life began, how the species evolved millions of years ago, how the geological formations of the world came into existence, and all kinds of other things that happened in a very distant past. Will we ever be able to observe any of these phenomena? Absolutely not. In fact, I think that there is a greater chance that we will see God than that we will see any of these events in the past. There are many records of perfectly sane people who have claimed to have encountered God. I know of not one single instance of a perfectly sane person claiming to have visited the past. So why can the anti-intellectual naturalists make their authoritative claims about something they have never seen?

Here is what true and pure science is, stripped of all the hyperbole and agenda driven definitions. Science is simply a quest to try to come up with the most plausible explanations for a full set of observable facts. That's it. Nothing more and nothing less.

There is only one law of scientific inquiry. Facts cannot be discarded. It is that one law of scientific inquiry that keeps science moving forward. Scientists aren't afforded the luxury of simply accumulating facts that support their theories and ignoring the ones that do not. It is only the naive who have a democratic view of science thinking that if 51% of the facts are favorable to a theory and 49% of the facts are against it, then the theory wins by majority rule. The history of science shows that all discredited theories had the majority of facts in their favor. However, it was the few contrary facts that motivated newer scientists to come up with explanations that could adequately handle all of the facts. The development of newer and better theories only occurs when scientist troubles by a few key facts that don't seem to fit call the prevailing theories into question.

It is said that "intelligent design" has no place in the science curriculum. That would be true if we knew for certain that there wasn't any intelligent being involved in the creation of life and in bio-diversity. But we don't know that. Could the most plausible explanation for everything that we see be that some intelligent designer put it all together? In light of the probabilities, that is the only conclusion any intellectually honest person must come to. Let me provide a couple of analogies that really clarified this point.

At Mount Rushmore in South Dakota, there are formations that appear to greatly resemble the faces of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln. Let's say there was no record of how those formations got there and all we had to rely on is what we observe. We could come up with two explanations for the formation. One would be based on natural forces such as water erosion, wind erosion, and the shifting of the earth. The other would be based on intelligent design. Given the particular shapes we see, which one is a more plausible explanation? The only way that one could argue for water erosion is to explicitly exclude intelligent design as an acceptable explanation. How could we do that? By saying that since we did not see the designer at work, we can not posit intelligent design as a plausible explanation.

Now think of the precarious situation that would place the proponent of water erosion in. We may ask how these particular formations just happened to appear in the exact shapes of these specific presidents on the side of the mountain. They would likely be forced to make the large numbers argument. We all know that there are billions upon billions upon billions of celestial bodies in this universe. Each solid body has millions upon millions of solid formations on their surfaces. Certainly with all these trillions upon trillions of formations, there are bound to be some set somewhere that just happen to look like these four presidents. It just happens to be on the planet earth in South Dakota. One could argue that this is an explanation for what we see but one would be hard pressed to argue that it is the MOST PLAUSIBLE explanation. In fact I would suppose that any one forwarding such an explanation would only be doing so because he or she has a specific philosophical agenda that prejudices him or her against intelligent design.

To say that the designer is excluded from science because he cannot be seen is disingenuous coming from scientists who spend their lives making inferences about things they cannot see. In fact, if a scientist is not making inferences about things that cannot be seen, then he or she is not a scientist at all. He or she is merely a lab technician. The very nature of science is the process of making plausible explanations about what cannot be seen.

It is also the intelligent design scientists that are asking the hard questions that the totally naturalistic scientists are incapable of answering. The most notable example of this is in the area of evolution. To discuss all the problems such as irreducible complexity, non-convergence in the fossil record, and protein similarities among diverse species is way beyond the current discussion. However, it is not a stretch to say that if evolution is the best that naturalistic scientists can come up with, then intelligent design is certainly the most plausible explanation for biological diversity. Remember, evolution can't be declared as scientific truth simply because there are some facts that support it any more than we can conclude that the earth is the center of the universe because there are some facts that support it. A theory falls based on the facts that refute it. Science is progressing the most when facts are emerging which help us see the holes in our existing theories. That happens when scientists come to the discussion from different paradigms and are forced to defend their explanations given challenging factual evidence.

seniorcats wrote:
[/quote]

LOL! They did. And she's got my vote for sure. ;)

For the record, one of Palin's most favourite recreational pastimes is hunting and killing rabbits. She ENJOYS it.

Thank God/IDesigner/hairy ancestors/amoebas I'm Canadian. :grumpy:

Peace.gif

sas :Canada small:

seniorcats wrote:
Then we will have religion and sciences coinciding which is definitely not the separation of church and state.

Excuse me but I do not think you understand the meaning of 'the separation of church and state.' It does not mean freedom FROM religion nor does it mean a completely secular education, which would be an impossibility.
Okay, Whoa! are you trying to tell me that religion is going to be FORCED upon me? I'm not free from religion if I so choose to be? Am I not free to choose any religion I would like to practice as long as I do no infringe upon the rights of another individual? Why can't we have a completely secular education? That makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Separation of church and state refers to the limits our Constitution places on the power of the government (both federal and state) to legislate about religion.
The Constitution places religion almost wholly outside the reach of government. In particular, the Constitution delegates no power to government over religious affairs, and the First Amendment explicitly prohibits the government from establishing or controlling religion. The effect of this arrangement is to leave Americans free to worship, believe, and support religion as they see fit. Additionally, we believe that separation deprives government of its ability to coerce adherence to religion, or to compel the support of religion against an individual's will.
Exactly. Why Religion should NOT be in a science classroom. If you have Intelligent Design in the classroom (which isn't even fit for a science theory which if you read what i said and maybe clicked on a link or two would have figured out) that's forcing religion upon students. Additionally, we believe that separation deprives government of its ability to coerce adherence to religion, or to compel the support of religion against an individuals will.
The Theory of Evolution is exactly that,a theory. Some partshave been proven and large parts have not proven. There is a world conference on evolution which meets annually to discuss those portions of the theory which have not been proven and to discuss any advances in proving the theory.
This statement allows me to know that you haven’t really read my post, otherwise you would know what a theory is. It’s not just something simple. It isn’t a bunch of assumptions, faith, or false information sandwich together. It is facts. Experiments and observations that have been done and one again. By many scientists, even all over the world. Not just one or two. So which “large portions” of the Theory of Evolution are you saying are not in fact “proven” ? I would like to know. Actually, proven is a word that isn’t even used in science. I do know that they are always adding support to the theory of evolution. But they are also always adding support to the law of gravity (which by the way is subject to change). Oh and they are always adding more to the fields such as chemistry where they can even make new elements. Man made elements. Biology is always getting more and more advanced too. That’s the amazing part about science, experiments and hypotheses can be made again and again in order to move us further. Once one question is answered, another is asked. The never ending universe of questions. Science has to be built upon in order to climb the ladder.
Sowhy deprive students by teaching them only one exiting theory of the origin of life? Isn't that contrary to the way in which a scientist is supposed to act? Doesn't it behove you to collect all data whether or not you 'belive in' it prior to reaching a conclusion. Excluding some data in an experiment because you do not like it is shoddy science. Isn't it? Having a conclusion, and working backwards from the conclusion to prove thatrather than collecting all evidence is also shoddy science.
Students aren't being deprived. What other theory of the origin of life is out there? Intelligent Design is not a theory. It hasn't had multiple experiments done to get to that status. That's what has to be done simply in order to achieve "theoryhood". The scientific method. I bet you've heard of that. A scientist does take multiple views. That's why if a hypothesis fails, they take another alternative until it does fail. Thus why there is a Theory of Evolution. Mulitple experiments and observations were done and the results agreed with the hypothesis. Other scientists conducted the same experiments and found the same results. I never said I don't like Intelligent Design. Nor have many scientists out there. It can't have an experiment done, thus scientists can't support it. Thus it isn't science and belongs in a whole other realm. That's as simple as I can get it. Do we have souls? Does God exist? Those cannot be proven by science (some people believe they can be dissproven but I personally do not believe science can disprove it) because experiments cannot be conducted in order to do so. I dont' understand your last statement. Are you trying to say Evolution is shoddy science because we can trace back organisms? If that's so, you need to do a little reading on genes and DNA. It's amazing stuff.
I really fail to understand the narrow view that would permit only the teaching of only one theory. When I went to school all theories of the origin of humankind - Darwin's evolution, creationism and what is now called intelligent design. We were allowed exposure to all schools of thought not one narrow view. It seems that the prevalent attitude toward anything other than the theory of evolution is fear due to lack of understanding.
Umm...it's not fear. It's that Creationism and Intelligent Design are simply not science. When you can conduct experiments to support them, then we can start putting it into text books. Otherwise, no. If you want your children taught that, that's what sunday school and church is for. Anyways, in the United States, what religion do you think will be taught? Exactly, just the views of Christianity. To me that's not fair. And if you do try to teach the majority of creationism views of all religions across the globe, do you realize how much classroom time you would lose? When Creationism and Intelligent Design can have experiements conducted and hypotheses made, then it can be allowed into the classroom. It seems to me really, that people are afraid of Evolution because of the lack of understanding. Quite frankly, Evolution isn't a religion and that's almost what it seems like you are making it out to be.
Why not allow students to hear all theories on the origin of life? It certainly would allow for more research and for critical thought rather than blind following the leader or accepting something out of fear of being different or ridiculed.
No you see, that's where you are wrong. I spent all of my high school life being ridiculed for supporting and researching the Theory of Evolution. I was just a curious kid. I had grown up going to sunday school and believing in Genesis. In fact, the Old Testament has always caught my attention more than anything else. That's where the blind are following the blind. Believing everything they are told without asking any questions. (Almost exactly what this whole campaign is turning out to be actually) That's what Intelligent Design does. It says that organisms are too complex to have evolved. They had to have been created. That's it. Kapeesh. Where is the questioning in that? That just says why. Where's the HOW?

There is no way education can be completely secular.Imagine teaching history without mentioning the Crusades or the Holocaust, or Englishor cultural or physical anthropology or any discipline.
I never said religion can't be in school in the way of subjects that aren't FORCING it upon you. In English for example you learn about Greek gods and such. We know that's not true anymore. History is a subject so much different than science as well. So I don't see how this is a valid argument. Science, like I have already said, it has to be able to have experiments done. Observations present. Science studies the material in the world around us. I suppose you can just put Intelligent Design and Creationism as a whole different course. But beware, if they don’t have the basis of evolution, don’t expect this child to get very far in chemistry, biology, sociology, and even psychology. At least at the college level. I have only been in a college for 3 weeks, and my basic knowledge of Evolution has helped me greatly believe it or not. Kinda weird….perhaps…

I am not a fan of abstinence ONLY education.I don't believe it works, although like you, I am not presenting any evidence or studies to support that contention. Apparently sex education doesn't work either as plenty of teens are pregnant and have been pregnant after years of sex education in curriculum. Personally, I advocate a combination of abstinence education, sex education and most importantly, parental responsibility in educating their boys and girls.
Umm..If I am able to remember Bill Clinton did something about only have abstinence education. This put a strict hold on what exactly teachers could talk about in sex education. That's what's holding us back. So really...teachers should be allowed to talk about the diseases and such that you can get. So the sex education would probably work better if stuff could actually be taught. Graphic pictures in health classes always helps. But I suppose maybe some people aren't for that but I know it's turned quite a few people away. I completely agree parents should have a lot of the responsibility. But let's face it, a lot of parents just. don't. care. I've see it. I've gone to school with those people. It's sad really.

Another quote from your post: If I remember correctly, the “Designer” is defined usually as unobservable. I suppose a few have been able to observe this “Designer” depending on the religion in question. Therefore Intelligent Design cannot be tested (end quote)

So that which is unobservable doesn't exist and cannot be tested?

Let me take your words andmake a substitution: If I remember correctly, thewind is defined usually as unobservable. I suppose a few have been able to observe thiswind depending on the religion in question.
Haha umm...wind can be observed and tested. I suppose you haven't taken a chemistry course. Guess what's in wind doll? Exactly, elements and molecules. All which have weights, atomic mass, atoms, protons, electrons. Yes, wind is observable. There are also little things called dust particles and water vapor that gets into wind. Those two have little elements and molecules.
Ludicrous, isn't it?
Ludicrous indeed it isn't.

Alright I'm tired. I need to do some more chemistry and go to bed. I didn't want to sound mean or a big bully in anyway. So if I have, please tell me. I apologize to anyone I might have offended again. I just get carried away sometimes...Hopefully most of it makes sense, I started to get a little eye droopy.

Aina: I'm going to read what your dad wrote tomorrow. I wish I could tonight but I'm so sleepy. I don't mind reading arguments that are against mind. It's intriguing actually.

~Domino~ wrote:
I just turned 18 in August and I've always wanted to vote. So as you can imagine I've been following the race pretty closely.

I sure hope there are more like you out there, Domino. Caring and paying attention is half the battle -- or more.

Good on ya! :great:

Also, very nice to see this forum 'debating' as opposed to fighting and flaming, something that is too often seen elsewhere on these topics.

We have great members. Rabbit lovers are an awesome bunch.

sas :inlove:

Latest posts

Back