Oats. (home made "bunny cookies")

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi.

I've already looked up a few things on oats but it seems people have different opinions on it.

I saw a recipe for rabbit cookies. They look just fine, and a few call for oats. Some call for the pelleted feed, too. Are these oats okay? They said rolled oats for the recipe, so we bought a big bag of rolled oats(the horses will like the oats too, I'm sure. So it's not all going to my bun!).

The bag says rolled oats but these aren't too rolled, are they?
2qxrd51.jpg

I'm looking at these recipes:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Rabbit-Treats/
http://www.helium.com/items/1260229-homemade-edible-treats-for-your-pet-rabbit

They're basically the same, though. One uses pellets and one uses oats, though. I have another recipe online that uses both.

Can I make these for my bunny? I wouldn't give them often, maybe a two or so a week...

those appear to be whole oats (which are much healthier if you're going to give oats). rolled oats are normal breakfast oatmeal (you wouldn't want to use the instant stuff). looking at the recipe, I don't see anything that specifically says the oats should be rolled oats and I see no reason why whole oats couldn't be used instead. that said, excess carbs can cause tummy issues and banana and carrot are both very high in sugar, so with either of those recipes, you want to feed the treats *very* sparingly and only if your bunny has never had any bouts of GI stasis.

on a side note, I find it a little ironic that you're buying a bag of those oats and I'm throwing them away in mass quantities, lol (I have to pull them out of the oat hay my girls eat so they're not gorging themselves on oats all day).

LOL! I will make some, but I'll be putting them in toys I make for her. Also, about the rolled oats, I think they were mentioned on another site with that recipe. But anyways, off to baking I go. I'll make sure to give them to her only on occasion.

Rolled oats go mushy aka turn into porridge which helps hold the mix together, I'm not sure the whole oats will do the same thing though they should be just fine to eat. Try it and see how it goes :) You can buy rolled oats in the supermarket for cooking with in small bags.

Latest posts

Back