Oaten charf????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixTheMiniLop

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I usually buy a 2kg bag of oaten hay at the pet store for Phoenix and use that as her food and her bedding. I am unable to get it and am running out of it at home so I went to a rural store today and got a 25kg bag of oaten charf... Is this ok? Is that pretty much the same thing but chopped up more finely?
I may sound silly but I just am curious that's all.. I was told it will be fine but who I got that answer from wasn't a bunny person :) so if anyone knows please let me know, thanks

I know of some breeders who add chaff to their rabbits feed but Im pretty sure that hay is preferred as its better for the teeth, gut, etc. If hay isn't available than I guess chaff is better than nothing :) Im not an expert, but I hope that I helped.

Yeah well I won't be feeding oaten chaff as an on going thing but I just need something to feed her until I can buy the oaten hay I get for her (all pet shops around me are out of it). I just didn't want to give her a new hay and just feeding her the chaff in the meantime. Was told by someone she will be ok to eat it until I can get more.

I've had the same problem of not being able to find good quality hay for a good price in my local pet stores. I think you made a good choice going with the chaff instead of another hay or nothing at all :)

Latest posts

Back