O/T Worried about my cat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybunnywrigley

Reaction score
Well, I noticed a few days ago that my cat, Meekohad blood in his urine. We thought maybe he had just gotteninto something, but it has continued so he is going to the vet tomorrowmorning. It's kinda weird too because it's not like all hisurine has blood in it it's just like a big dot. We had to geta urine sample which we have to take with to the vet for them totest. Has this ever happened to anyone elses cat?He is close to ten years old and neutered.

Jenn

i'm sorry to say this but its either Kidney faliure or Kidney stones.. something to deal with the Kidneys...

i'm soooo sorry.. i hope i am wrong... and i hope your cat gets better soon!

**hugs**

*~Amanda~*

Probably a kidney problem. Try to takethe vet a urine sample (let me know if you need to know how) so he cancheck for a UTI. Cats are really prone to them and kidneyproblems. The vet can also do a sonogram to check the actualkidneys. Hopefully it's just an infection...just antibioticsand a special food.

Good Luck! Keep us updated!

Jen

Most likely a FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary TractDisorder), such as a Urinary Tract Infection. My cat was treated forone a couple months ago. There are a couple different complicationsyou'll have to be aware of:

- It could be an infection with some inflammation, hence the bloodyurine, or it could be crystals. Crystals are actually more common inmale cats, and can be a little more difficult to treat. While a simpleinfection would be taken care of with a round of antibiotics, crystalsmay need more intense care, such as subcutaenious fluids.

- If it is crystals, they can cause blockages in the urinary tract.This can be deadly. If you see your cat straining to produceurine, get him to the vet A.S.A.P. When blockages occur, death comeswithin less than 24 hours. Not to scare you, just make you aware.

- As Cinnabun mentioned, kidney problems are a possibility, but they'renot likely. With kidney problems comes weight lossandlethargy, which I assume you are not seeing.

Now, here's my little bit of unsolicitated advice. Your vet willprobably want to put Meeko (great name, btw ;)) on a"prescription" diet, most likely Science Diet something (C/D, Ithink...)Basically, crap, take my word for it. It may controlthe problem, but it will never fix it, and most cats on the diet haveproblems as soon as they go back to normal food. Your best bet forFLUTDs is a high-quality all-canned diet. For more info you can p'm me:)

Thank you all for the information.Meeko is still acting like his normal self. He doesn't appearto be straining to pee.

We have a urine sample. The vet had us put a light plasticoverhis kitty litter and then we put it in a little ziplocbag in a plastic container.

I'll keep you all updated! He has his appointment at 10:20 tomorrow morning.

I meant to ask you, where did the name "Meeko"come from? My sweet baby tortoiseshell kitty (yeah, they've got mewrapped around their paws) is named "Miko", and I thought that waspretty unique. Until Bo said she once had a cat named Miko, and nowyour Meeko...:p

But I still have Stephanie! When I called to book their check-up forMonday, the receptionist was like, "I don't think I've everheard of a cat named Stephanie." :D

m.e. wrote:
Mostlikely a FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disorder), such as a UrinaryTract Infection. My cat was treated for one a couple months ago. Thereare a couple different complications you'll have to be aware of:

- It could be an infection with some inflammation, hence the bloodyurine, or it could be crystals. Crystals are actually more common inmale cats, and can be a little more difficult to treat. While a simpleinfection would be taken care of with a round of antibiotics, crystalsmay need more intense care, such as subcutaenious fluids.

- If it is crystals, they can cause blockages in the urinary tract.This can be deadly. If you see your cat straining to produceurine, get him to the vet A.S.A.P. When blockages occur, death comeswithin less than 24 hours. Not to scare you, just make you aware.

- As Cinnabun mentioned, kidney problems are a possibility, but they'renot likely. With kidney problems comes weight lossandlethargy, which I assume you are not seeing.

Now, here's my little bit of unsolicitated advice. Your vet willprobably want to put Meeko (great name, btw ;)) on a"prescription" diet, most likely Science Diet something (C/D, Ithink...)Basically, crap, take my word for it. It may controlthe problem, but it will never fix it, and most cats on the diet haveproblems as soon as they go back to normal food. Your best bet forFLUTDs is a high-quality all-canned diet. For more info you can p'm me:)

Yep this is what I was thinking. I had a cat that had thisand had surgery to remove the sludge and crystals and then I had tofeed him really good food for the rest of his life. He liveda long time, but got hit when he was playing outside about 10 yearsago. I miss him :(

YoYo would sit and cry trying to pee. :(

Sorry for taking so long to let you all know howMeeko is. I've been really busy today. Meeko has aurinary tract infection, just like you thought m.e. The Vetput him on two different medicines. One is to increase thelevel of acid in his urine and the other is to get rid of theinfection. He has to stay on the medicine for the next twoweeks and then we have to bring in another urine sample for the Vet totest and if he still has any infection he has to continue taking themedicine until it's completely gone.

The Vet said that if he seems to be having any trouble urinating or ifit gets hard under his belly that he has to be brought to the emergencyvet right away, but as of now he hasno blockage!! :D

Thank you all for your support!

Oh and my sister and I named Meeko after the racoon in the Disney movie Pocahontas ;)

Aww I am glad that it was nothing tooserious.I have two cats and have always had a cat since Ihave been born.I just love them so much, just as much as mybunnies. I hope the little fella's infection clears up very soon and heis back to normal. I was getting worried reading through this postandI am glad he will be ok!

Vickie

Glad to hear he's on the mend :) Scully balkedabout the medication, but she started feeling better almostimmediately. Here's to a fast recovery!

(and pictures would be nice too ;))

Sorry I missed your post up until now, but I am glad to hear Meeko is on the road to recovery :):)

Cinnabun wrote:
i'm sorry to say this but its either Kidney faliure orKidney stones.. something to deal with the Kidneys...

i'm soooo sorry.. i hope i am wrong... and i hope your cat gets better soon!

**hugs**

*~Amanda~*

I had a cat named Sid who I adopted from a very bad place talking like20 years ago. Sid was amazing, and had her for 5years. She suddenly developed bleeding, and had herfixed. The bleeding did not stop and found she had stones,upon speculation by the vet. There were a couple of choicesone being to change her diet and if that did not work then surgerywhich my then fiance now husband was unwilling to do. Myheart was broken, so I changed her diet from the wet/dry cat food tocompletly wet...what we was recommended IMAS, memory goingthere:?There was improvment, however once in a while we wouldnotice blood in her cat box, and then had her fixed. Afterthat everything was fine. Note the vet did have a concernwith crystals and that should be taken into consideration as well, butagain diet is a issue.

My question would be, is he on dry food? I would change hisdiet and see how this goes for a couple of weeks. Good luck,and all the best.

p.s. eventhough he may seem fine now, from experience, it comes andgoes, which makes me think the problem could be stones? Eventhough theysay unrinary tract infection, this is what I was told aswell. Keep your eye on him, and good luck. Happy tohear everything is o.k:D

Latest posts

Back