o/t potty training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
My son tyler is improving in the potty trainingdept. He is 4 and half and was dianosed with having autism when he wastwo and half. Its a big problem with speech and socialinteraction and sometimes behavior problems, and sensory issues, andsome sensory and low muscle tone. he mainly has the speech trouble. Hasthe speech level of a two year old. Boys with autism donttypically potty train till 5 yrs old. He is trying so hard.He is wearing underwear and having some accidents but went to schoolthe other day and came home dry, I am so proud of him. Hisspeech is also improving some. He seen a chucky cheesecommecial and i think he said i want to go there. It was kinda fast sonot sure. Normally he dont put anymore than two words together. Someproffessionals think my son has a severe case of apraxia. Which is aspeech disorder too. I just dont know for sure. He dont show alot ofthe things for autism but has some. Well for the most part heis doing good and i am really proud of him. I hope we can saygoodbye to diapers soon. at least for the daytime. Plus hehas a cute little butt in pants without the diaper. :)

Cristy

That's fantastic that he came home dry,Cristy!

He couldn't have abetter person todeal withhishealthissues thanyou.Howextremely trying for you andheto have to break through this barrier, but the progresshe's making is nothing short of astounding. Realizing you'llhave your good days and bad days, itsure is excellent to hearhim doingwell.

I'll pray that things continue to improve. Keep up theexcellent work, Coach, Mom, Nurse, Friend, and Teacher. Blessyour hearts, and give him a big kiss from me.

-Carolyn

Working with children with autism has shown meone big thing. They are not hopeless. It takes workand perseverence, but you can break through that shell. :D

I am so glad that he is Trying to stay dry, I remember working with a10 year old who still wore diapers. He really didnt seem tocare.

Good luck in your endevours =) and God Bless

Our grandson is autistic also, so we can identifywith some of the issues you are dealing with. Autism seems somuch more prevalent these days and in spite of the fact some"authorities" try to suggest the increased incidence is nothing morethan an increased awareness and identification, I simply do not believethem.

There is a big cluster of autistic children in a nearby community thathas had issues with a chemical company polluting ground water for thebetter part of thirty years. I am not saying that isnecessarily the cause, but I do believe there must be some causalfactor(s) involved, much like alzheimer's might be linked to aluminumin cooking utensils and anti-perspirant deorderant. Somethingis wrong, somehow, someplace, somewhere, that is causing the increasedrate of autism...I believe.

I'm not necessarily a "tree hugger," but I do think we are poisoningourselves with adulterated food stuffs in the name of "longer shelflifeand genetic modification," but really equatesto nothing more than greed for increased profits.

Much luck and prayers go to your son.

Buck

What a fantastic achievment for your son. When myson Gabe was two he was lagging behind in the speech department as welland I can understand how that alone makes potty-training so much moredifficult. When they finally start to catch on it is the best feelingin the world! My kid figured it out! WHOOO WHOOO! :D

I hope you continue to have many breakthroughs, and I have faiththat one will certainly lead to another and so on.

Fergi's mom

Great news about your son! Here's to the future!!

Rose

P.S. I'm an Aspie girl (Asperger's syndrome, autistic spectrum) :)

Give him a hug for me Cristy! SoundslikeTyler isdoing just fine -- treasure that littleguy -- they grow up so fast!

Pam

Thanks everyone. Tyler is doing pretty good.Making alot of improvements. So proud of him. Just till about a monthago he told people his name was dog. He couldnt say Tyler. His newtherpist has been working on him more with how you would treat apraxia.He stayed dry all day while i was home and then of course my husbandput him in a diaper. He isnt quite ready for the accidents himself yet.

Whats the hardest about autism is that its such a wide spectrum. Tylereven though he has a huge speech delay is one of the lucky ones. Hewants and needs attention from his family. I know some kids who have amore severe case dont crave that. We have worked hard withhim. He has been getting services since we was about 17months old. another big thing about autism is there is noblood test so in a case like tyler it's always in the back your headdoes he really have it or not. But i try and not to worry about that,and just go day to day with him. He just started his secondyear of preschool. The last year he was in a special ed class. Now heis in a reg state pre k class with mostly typical devolping kids. Hegets speech, and other servies and even as a special ed teacher thatcomes in a certain amount of time to make sure his needs are being met.

The school is supose to getting a team together to see if he needs acommucation device to commucate withus and his peers. We usesigns and pecs a little. but this would be a little computer and theysay he is at the right age to learn it.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back