O/T Need Guinea Pig Information

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
I was looking at my local shelters listof available pets for adoption. This little guy just instantly tuggedat my heart strings. I am going to call them tomorrow and see aboutadopting him.

I have been reading a few sites and have a few questions.

What is a good brand of pellets for him?
Where can I find a list of piggy safe fruits and veggies?
What are piggy safe sticks to chew on?
Can I use woody pet in the bottom of the cage or no?
Any good piggy treats?

Thank you all because I know you are going to have greatanswers, as usual. Here is a picture of the little guy. His name isStinky, boy will that change if we get him.
O132_Stinky.JPG

:inlove:

Tina

Tina pm me with your email address. I can giveyou all the info you need for guinea pigs.We have 16 of themfor us. We love em all. 3 of the are long haired. I wished you livedcloserwe would have let ya adopt one of ours.

Is there a animal under all that fur??haha. We used to keep guinea pigs but we didn'thave a lot of good luck with them.. We had about six of them and onlytwo made it to the five year mark. The others died prettyyoung and it was too sad for us to deal with. Thatwas also before i ever used the internet to search for information on apet. So things could and might be different now if we keptthem but I have enough pets. Good luck, I hope you gethim.

Cristy

I thought 2 years was par for a guinea pig. OurDaughter has kept them as rabbit company and there is aproblem in thatas you put rabbit food in the run the guinea pig will eat it!

Saffy, thank you for the link. I think this little guy will fit right in.

SweetPeasMommy, I can't thank you enough for all your help. Thank you so much.

Christy, Isn't that the cutest. He looks like a smaller version of Cousin It from the Adams Family tv series.

Stan and Jane, oh no he would have his own cage. I was reading that they can live 4-5 years.

The more I read the more I think he would fit in nicely. I amgoing to call and ask some questions about him first though.

Tina

I have kept guinea pigs for the past tenyears'if u need any advice u can allway's pm me and i'll see if i canhelp u.The advice i can give to u now is your going to need a goodbrush as that little guy's going to need brushing every day.:wave:

dajeti2 wrote:

O132_Stinky.JPG

:inlove:

Tina

Are you SURE there is an animal under there? It's not just some strange wig? :shock:

Wish I could help you - we had guinea pigs years ago - but I'veforgotten most things about them....looks like you've got LOTS of helpthough!

Enjoy your new addition!

Peg

Tina I have 2 of those andthathair is a PITA trust me ,

first thing you do after brushing is totie that hair up . there are spiciallittle bands made exactlly forthe hair , can't recall what they are called, Butwill get the name for you . Watch around the Buttarea , thats where it will MATT up themost . The hair is ultra fineand pulls out easily .. Theseguys are alot of work , lots morethetheJerseys ,

Any Brand food is fine as Longas it has minimal 200 units of vitamin C, of course Papaya , pnieapple andand any High Vit, C fruit willwork caution of ciitrus , too much acid isnt good. as with rabbits Pigs liketreats ALOT! moderation is the key.

I have to do that withWhistles too . to say she isnt the leastbit impressed is an understatement lol

I recommend first building a NIC cube cage witha coroplast bottom. It's possible but not probable to "litter train" acavy. I use fleece blankets in the cage with newspaper in between thefleece and the coroplast. You can get the fleece blankets for 2 forabout 10 bucks at Joann Fabrics. I change the fleece and newspaperabout once every 3 to 4 days. You will need a small hand vac to vaccumthe poops and loose hay every night. Depending on the age of the GP, Irecommend Oxbow cavy cuisine(alfalfa based)for up to 6 monthsold, Cavy Performance(timothy based)for after. I alsosupplement with veggies twice a day too.

You may also want to consider a same sex GP as a companion becausecavies are very social animals. Bonding is a much easier propositionwith them than rabbits, though bonding females is supposedly mucheasier than males. I will pm you with a couple of good cavy forums.

Well I called the shelter and am justwaiting for the call back. I almost have Dale totally convinced too. Hesaid it's going to be like the rabbits where one led to tons.:shock::shock::shock:I resmble that remark.

I told him to be happy I asked because if he wasstill trucking on the road this little cutie would have been homealready.:pHe said I Know:?, just what is he getting at?

Well I have everything ready for the cutie so if we get the okfrom the shelter I can jump in the car and go get him first thing inthe morning.

I hope I hope I hope

I want to thank you all for your help. I knew I would get awesome replies and I did. You all Rock!!

Tina

WE all got our fingers and toes crossed for ya.

Here are some pics of our 3 long haired gang.

Harriette our purvian/sheltie mix

Twins Moppy and Duster sheltie.

Moppy

Duster

We shave their hair for the summer. I have pics of their short hairtoo. A great buzz cut. Harriette is more embarrased getting her haircut short.

another member to add to the zoo crew....:shock2:

Well I hope you get the little guy, there's no better place for him....

all our paws, and fingers are crossed....

:monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

The woman that handles the small animalshad to leave early today due to a family emergency. When she gets intomorrow she will give mea call. So hopefullyI willhave more news tomorrow.

Thank you for all the awesome information and fingers crossed. Oh I hope we get him.

Tina

Latest posts

Back