O/T My rat passed away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyG

Reaction score
I know this is a rabbit forum but I also knowthat we all love all kinds of animals so just thought I would let youknow my pet rat sheila had to be put to sleep on tuesdaymorning. She was 2 years and 7 months old and had been illfor a long time. About three months ago a very largelump grewquickly on her chest. I took her to the vet and hesaid that it was a mammary tumour but that she was in no pain and itwas best to let her live out her life until she seemed in distress.

It stopped her moving around very fast but she didn't reallyseem to notice, she adapted to it really well and was still eating anddrinking and acting like normal. But it grew larger slowlyand at the weekend she was dragging one of her back legs, it got worseand it was clear by tuesday she had lost feeling in her back end so weknew it was time and felt it better to let her go peacefully than towait for it to happen naturally.

I'm so sorry, KatyG. From what I understand, they're very smart, loving animals.

Buck will watch over your little one until you meet again.

With Sympathy,

-Carolyn

im so sorry, rats make wonderful pets. ive had 3in the past and i havent been able to get another because they justlive for such a short amount of time and i get too attached. im verysorry for your loss, but you gave her a much better life than most ratsout there have.:pink iris:

I'm so sorry, Katy. I've had pet rats before,too. I think tumors must be very common, two of my three died from atumor of some sort. The first one, Tildy, we even took her to the vetand spent over $300 dollars on surgeries and treatments, nothingworked. They do make wonderful pets, and are full of personality. It'sjust not fair their lives are so short.

I am soo sorry for your loss. I raised rats forpets and have always had atleast a couple in the house until the pastyear or so.
They are the very best pocket pet!
Soo smart and loving.
I really feel for you.
They are here such a short time and steal our hearts while they arehere.....and unfortunately take a part of our hearts when they go.
You are in my prayers.:pray: Bless you!

Katy, I'm so sorry you lost Sheila. I've neverhad a rat (always did want one though)...but my sister had one for afew years. He was such an intelligent, loving little guy...he'd climbup your leg and sit in your lap, just waiting to be petted. Rats arewonderfulanimals, and even though your decision must havebeen terribly tough to make, you did the best thing for Sheila.Unconditional love can be so hard sometimes...but you put her welfarefirst, which is what a loving mom would do. I'm sure she's now watchingover you, and is with you in spirit.

:bigtears:

I am so sorry to hear aboutsheila.It's hard to get used to the fact that rats don't livethat long, but I couldn't imagine not having them in my home.They touch your heart so much.

You and sheila are in my thoughts

Jennifer

My heart goes to you, we recently had our daughters' rattie Teah put tosleep as well due to a tumour that just got so big and she found itvery hard to walk and eat etc.

Teah (and Ebony also) lived until they were 3 yrs old, (not bad for ratties).

Tumours are common in rats. Ebony got old and passed away whilst Teahhad to be put to sleep, I wasn't real sure of getting rats, but after awhile they grew on me.

Funny how little creatures float in your life and float out again and teach you little things along the way.

:rose: most ratties live until the age of 2-3 so you did well for your baby.

Latest posts

Back