O/T Local sayings or proverbs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northerndancer

Reaction score
Hello

Hope this isnt too off topic, but I have an interest in traditionallocal sayings, words or proverbs and I thought sincea lot ofuswere all from different corners of the globe here it mightbe interesting to compare!

Here in the north of scotland we have a local word for:bunnydance:rabbit which is "map map" or "mappy". Seemingly Scots fishermenconsider it unlucky to say "rabbit" on a ship and so this is howanother word developed for it. There is a flower (antirhynum) which haspetals that fold in like a rabbits top lip and they get called "mappymoos(mouths)"!

We also have lots of sayings about the weather eg "not a day for a craw(crow) to be out without a blanket" really bizarre! meaning its too wetto go out!! And a great word "dreich" to describe that cold foggy dampweather when the wet just hangs in the air.

I'd love to hear of any unusual sayings from other places, rabbit related or not!

ND

"Yins" Upon moving to Pennsylvania, I learned "Yins" was slang for "you".

At the local restaurant, "What can I get yins?"

When daughter Steph worked as a waitress at a nicer restaurant, they were instructed not to use slang such as "yins".

Pam

I live in New Jersey and we don't call it "the beach", it's called "the shore".

I work on 5th Ave in New York City. When people ask me where I work, I say, "the city".

I know I'll think of more, but those are all that I can think of at the moment!

Meghan

In Ohio, we called temporary driving permits forteens "temps". Here in PA, they didn't have a clue what I wastalking about.

Pam

When I moved to Ohio from NC, I thought it wasstrange that people called soft drinks - 'pop'. It soundedsoodd after hearing 'soda' for so many years.

The first time I had breakfast at a restaurant in Ohio, the waitress was clueless when I asked for 'grits'.

Yup, it's not "pop" or "soda-pop" itssoda!!!!!!!! When I used to waitress, people traveling fromthe south would ask for "Coke." I would say sorry, we onlyhave Pepsi. Turns out that the word Coke is used to refer toall soda, not just Coca-Cola. "Um, what kind of Coke wouldyou like?"

"Sprite please!":shock:

We say "bubbler" instead of water fountain here.

Common Slang words sometimes used in Britain

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Bloke[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - man.
'John is a nice bloke to know.'
[/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Botched[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - poor quality repairs.
'He made a botched job of fixing the television.'
[/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Bottle[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - courage.
'He doesn't have the bottle to ask her.'
[/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]CheesedOff[/size][/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1]- fed up [/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Chuck itdown[/size][/font][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1] - to rain, often heavily.
'It is going to chuck it down soon.'
[/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Chuffed[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - If you are chuffed, you are happywith something.
'I was chuffed to win a medal!'
[/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Daft[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Crazy /stupid[/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Dosh[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Money / cash 'I haven't got muchdosh to give you.'[/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Gobsmacked[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Incredibly amazed.
'I was gobsmacked[/size][/font][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1] [/size][/font][size=-1][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]when I saw my birthday presents.'[/size][/font][/size]
[/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Gutted[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Not happy because of an eventthat has occurred that didn't go your way.
'I was gutted when I didn't win the race'
[/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Jammy[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Used in place of lucky whendescribing someone else.
'He was very jammy winning the lottery'.
[/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Scrummy[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Delicious. Shortened fromscrumptious.
'The food was very scrummy'
[/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Skint[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Broke. No money.
'I'm skint, I wont be able to buy the DVD today.'
[/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]to Snog[/size][/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1]-to long kiss[/size][/font][/align]
[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Telly[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Television
'I watched the news on the telly last night.'
[/size][/font][/align]

onnie wrote:
.......and going out for a drink is called going out for a bevvie:)
We go out for a bevvie and a 'beargor' (a burger) in Manchester :D

Oh and wehave a "butty" not a sandwich and when I go out I"put mi slap on" when I do my makeup, "round our way" where Ilive. Also when I'm hungry I'm"Hanking Marvin" or "starvin'like Marvin."

Just a few, gotta love usMancs (Mancunians);).

Vickie

Here in Connecticut, if you walk into your local"Subway Sandwich" Shop, you order a grinder, not a sandwich.I live close to Boston where the "r" has an "ah" sound. Forexample:pahk the cah. (Park the car)...lol

DaisyNBuster wrote:
Common Slang words sometimes used in Britain

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Bloke[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - man.
'John is a nice bloke to know.'
[/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Botched[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - poor quality repairs.
'He made a botched job of fixing the television.'
[/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Bottle[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - courage.
'He doesn't have the bottle to ask her.'
[/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]CheesedOff[/size][/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1]- fed up [/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Chuck itdown[/size][/font][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1] - to rain, often heavily.
'It is going to chuck it down soon.'
[/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Chuffed[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - If you are chuffed, you are happywith something.
'I was chuffed to win a medal!'
[/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Daft[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Crazy /stupid[/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Dosh[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Money / cash 'I haven't got muchdosh to give you.'[/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Gobsmacked[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Incredibly amazed.
'I was gobsmacked[/size][/font][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1] [/size][/font][size=-1][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]when I saw my birthday presents.'[/size][/font][/size]
[/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Gutted[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Not happy because of an eventthat has occurred that didn't go your way.
'I was gutted when I didn't win the race'
[/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Jammy[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Used in place of lucky whendescribing someone else.
'He was very jammy winning the lottery'.
[/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Scrummy[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Delicious. Shortened fromscrumptious.
'The food was very scrummy'
[/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Skint[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Broke. No money.
'I'm skint, I wont be able to buy the DVD today.'
[/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]to Snog[/size][/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1]-to long kiss[/size][/font][/align]

[align=left][font="Arial, Helvetica,sans-serif"][size=+1]Telly[/size][/font][font="Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif"][size=+1] - Television
'I watched the news on the telly last night.'
[/size][/font][/align]

Thank you! I wondered about some of those!

-Carolyn

God's Country - Area far away from any stores, towns, gas stations, etc.

Holler (Hollow)- Narrow valley

Mouth of a Holler - The beginning/entrance of a holler

Head of a Holler - The end/back of a holler

Bottom (like where I live) - a road that leads off from the mainroad into a rural cul-de-sac area; usually slightly lower in elevationto the main road, hence the name bottom

Goat Path - Walking trail

Red dog - coal ashes; they look reddish colored. Oftenused as a road covering on dirt roads especially in winter for extratraction

Highway - any road with yellow lines on it; you will see many 2-lane 'highways' where I live

Here we go to the theater when going to seeamovie.Elderly folks call it amatinee'(sp?).

Uhm..can't think of anymore right now. It's hard to noticelocal things when there is no one around to point them out lol.

Hey Daisy N Buster - Does the phrase "Booger off"...well is it aswear word like telling someone to "Go **** yourself?"lol.Hope that is is disguised enough for our younger readers.

Well, here in The South, we say:

Y'all - when addressing more than one person - "When are y'all comin' over?"

Fixin' to - when you are preparing for something - "I'm fixin' to go to the store."

Coke is never pop or soda, it's Coke (that includes any sweet, carbonated beverage - Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper,etc.)

There are tons I can't think of - will add as they come to me.

Laura

PS: Oh, my mom comes up withsome goodones. She'll exclaim, "Don't that beat a lamb farting?" (whensomething unusual happens). That cracks me up.

Having your Tea - means Dinner

Quid
- means 1 pound (money)

Brolly - Unmbrella

Some more will come to me. That's what its like when your living in a different country. I've forgotten some of my English. LOL

Hey Laura - you forgot one...

Yonta - Do you want to? As in: Yonta eat?

Zee - thanks for clearing up what quid means - that was driving me crazy.

How about "Crazy as a pet coon (raccon)?"

Laura wrote:
PS: Oh, my mom comes up withsome goodones. She'll exclaim, "Don't that beat a lamb farting?" (whensomething unusual happens). That cracks me up.
LOL!!!!!!:laugh:

Thanks to you all for your replies....I've enjoyed them all. I was thinking of a few moregood sayings and I like

"its not lost what a friend gets"

"little in the heid (head) gives the feet a lot to do" (i think aboutthat one often when I'm up and down the stairs for forgettingthings!!!!!)

"If its not fleas in the bed then it's the lum (chimney) reeking (smoking)" meaning if its not one thing its another.

We also have a traditional Scottish saying at weddings "Long may yourlum reek (chimney smoke)" meaning they hope you will always be wealthyenough to have fuel for the fire.

Cheerio for now

ND

:runningrabbit:

Hey, Meghan910! I work in "The City"too - a block away from "The Garden" (aka Mdison Square Garden for theout of towners!) We should meet up for lunch sometime, orhappy hour!:)

I get a kick out of the British expressions! I worked with adesigner from England @ my last company. I always liked whenshe said she was going to catch the "Lift" (elevator).

We stayed with some friends in America inSiracues (sorry i have no idea how it's spelt!! It's near the Canadianborder) and the mum kept asking me if i wated a juice box, i was justlike "pardon?" I love that word, lol, me and my mum were saying it forthe whole of the summer after, lol!!

Back