o/t kids and housework

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
Probably most know I have two boys. William is10 and Tyler is 5 yrs old.. They talked me into getting a dog thatneeded a home. My husband grew up in a householdwhere the man dont clean so i really try hard to make my older son dosome cleaning. Tyler actully does like to cleansometimes. I want to use the new dog as areason to have a list of chores for both of them.. The dog cost moneyand I want them to do work and then that would make them feel like theyare doing thier part to earn money for the dogs needs. I dontwant William being the only one is does everything. I wantTyler to do things too, but not just what he wants but what i ask ofhim.

Any idea's how a reward system. I really wouldntgive them cash but maybe if they do all or most of thier choressomething inexpensive for them. I want to make them want to dostuff. Maybe make our house picked up a little more plus getthem to understand that even them as boys have toclean. Tyler is special needs so it has to besomething he can understand. He is a smart boy buthis understanding isnt always of a 5 year old. Which a coupledays ago some kids who are normally very nice sat there and said meanthings cause of his lack of speech and Tyler never relized they werebeing mean.. I did though and really had to bite my tongue not to themthey have big ears lol.. I was so upset. Theybasically told him and me that he talks like a baby and why does hetalk like a baby and he gives them aheadache. Well i went off the subject ofmy main reason for posting.after school starts it might be hard for me to enforce the chores causei work in the evenings but i am currently thinking about getting a jobin the school district as a teacher aide. so i can be home atnight with them.

Sorry this is so long.. I tend to ramble.

Cristy

Hi !!!

How about drawing up a plan of how does what?

After each chore is done, then get them to mark it off. Wheneverything is marked off then, something like a new car or toy to playwith.

You can get them to mark with a shiny sticker, make it fun for them to mark their chores off.

I got one of those erasable chalk boardsand wrote Jeremy's chores for the week on it. After each chore was donehe got to mark it with an X. He was allowed to miss 2 X's a week. Atthe end of the week I took him to Walmart or the Dollar Store and lethim pick out a toy.

It has worked wonders. He hates to clean but the thought of asurprise at the end of the week is incentive enough he cleans.

As to Tyler's friend's being so mean, I can realte. Jeremy hastwo rare forms of epilepsy and his friends could get down right mean attimes. It always seemed to hurt and anger me more than it didhim.:?

I hope you can find something that works for you.

Sounds like you could use one of these:hug:.

Tina

It's wonderful when the kids are given responsibilities in the house and it helps ease your workload when everyone pitches in.

How about a chart with little gold stars or stickers?

Sit down with dad and be certain he understands how important it isthat he makes sure the kids are doing their chores when you are at work-- may need to make a chart with gold stars for dad also ;)

Pam

My son is 5 he has too feed and water his owndog,take his dishes in the kitchen,pick up his own toys.he gets areward toy from the dollar store.bluebird

My parents had a bag of small prizes- stickersand Cracker Jack type stuff. If we did chores such as pickingup twigs after a strong wind (we had the most awful chinese elms!) orwashing the car, we would get to pick from the bag. When Istarted taking care of our cat, my parents would let me pick out a newtoy for her at the end of the month provided that they didn't have toclean the litter box more than once a week.

I agree with the drawing up a plan type thingy, maybe a chart which canbe used as a reminder until they get inot a routine of doing chores.

Your 10 yr old could take out the bins on bin night and maybe the 5 yrold could do the recycling? going round the house on bin night to seewhat can be recycled, or what about simple things like making beds,even your 5 yr old could do that, even if it's not a greatjob as long as he gets the blankets pulled up then hey he'll get betteras time goes on.

Or what about putting clothes into thw washing machine??? I used tolove doing that myself when I was a kid, i'd stand at the doorway andthrow the clothes in like I was playing basketball LOL

Goodluck, and have fun with it all.

I know when I worked out my daughters chores this year ( we review herchores and pocket money and bedtimes each year as she gets older) shehad some ideas of her own , I listened to them and we agreed on whatchores she should do together, she said she felt like she had a say inthings and was ok with what we came up with.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions..Lots of great ideas to work with. My husband needsa list and rewards too. haha.

Cristy

mygrl2k3 wrote:
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.. Lots of greatideas to work with. My husband needs a list andrewards too. haha.

Cristy

LOL don't a lot of men :p And I didn't say all I just said a lot .

My other half goes through "phases" where he'll be grat at helping withstuff and then other times welllllll you get the idea LOL:p:p:p

Amen Ariel, same here...but I'm having reconstructive knee surgery next month...so it'll be ALL about him for awhile!

ariel wrote:

I know when I worked out my daughters chores this year ( wereview her chores and pocket money and bedtimes each year as she getsolder) she had some ideas of her own , I listened to them and we agreedon what chores she should do together, she said she felt like she had asay in things and was ok with what we came up with.
Great idea Ariel!

Including the kids in on the decision making process is a big part ofcontinued success. It helps them to feel empowered and theyare more willing to share in the responsibility.

Pam

My youngest son just learned how to say dollarand money!! So that might help get him to do things if he gets a littlemoney.. My husband would probably do things for money to spend but hejust won't get quite excited over a couple dollars as Tyler does.

Cristy

Hehe... My family just always made us do thechores any how. We had to clean our bedroom, bathroom and rotatefeeding the dogs and doing the dishes. If we didn't we were grounded,so we couldn't go feed the calves every night (haha! we did chores sowe could do more!) Now we do the same chores so we can keep our animals(rabbits/game birds).

Kat

I agree somewhat the kids should just have to dochores. It's really hard for me to inforce you have to with no rewardsat all cause my husband does little to nothing around the house. He didget up and clean which totally shocked me but someone gave us a loveseat that reclines so he had to make room for it.So this isnt normal and probably wont repeat it self.

I might take the kids out to ice cream tonight and try and explain it to them and start slowly on the chores.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back