O/T Jeremy Found A Bat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
As Jeremy got off the bus and waswalking up the driveway he almost stepped on something. He bent down tosee what it was and it's a tiny bat. He ran in the house and said momhurry, there's a bat in the driveway. We grabbed some towels and wentto where it was.

It was on it's back in the driveay, right under some powerlines. I couldn't leave it there because a stray cat was already eyeballing it as lunch. I have called the rehabilitation center and amwaiting for a call back. In the mean time I need to know what to feedthis poor baby.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tina

I know it sounds crazy but can you catch anybugs? I have no idea how bats would take any kind of formula but itdoesn't seem like they'd do very well on it. It's an adorable bat,though. I hope it gets better.

Try going to a pet store and picking up some crickets and see if he'll eat those.

I found a pic that kind of looks like your bat , they called it 'Big brown bat'.

The center won't be able to come get'her'? until late next week. They gave mea link to a greatsite. They told me everything I need to do to help her. They did say tofeed her meal worms and I'm to get a milk replacer for her and syringefeed her that once a day.So while I'm out tomorrow I need topick up another syringe with a catheter.

We are calling her Prisilla for the time being. She is a cutieand I just hope I can be a good surrogate bat mom.:?

Thank you for all of your help everyone. I was in panic mode and couldn't think of what to do.

Tina

Aw that's good. I hope 'she' makes it through.While i was searching online i found they actually have bats up foradoption, which i've never heard of:shock:

Well we know the plumbingworks:shock:she peed on me. I'm hoping she pulls through.She's drinking and grooming herself which are good signs.

I have never heard of bats for adoption either.Do youmean like adopt a wild bat as in donate money and they tell you about abat you are helping? Sorry, I'm kinda slow I'm running on 3 hourssleep.

Tina

You are nuts, Tina!

There are so many diseases that bats can carry. Being lethargic is nota good sign. We deal with bats all the time at the school and they arenot to be taken lightly. If one is rabid, just the saliva can get youin serious trouble. Luckily around here with our bats, we haven't hadany problems with rabbies - yet! Each dead bat has to be sent out andtested for them.

I'd get rid of it. I'm sorry if that's cruel, but it could wipe out you and your herd if you don't know what you've got there.

:pray:

-Carolyn

dajeti2 wrote:
I have never heard of bats for adoption either.Do youmean like adopt a wild bat as in donate money and they tell you about abat you are helping? Sorry, I'm kinda slow I'm running on 3 hourssleep.

Tina

--------------------

Oops i probably should have read the site all theway, all i saw at the top was ADOPT-A-BAT lol. But you were right, iguess you can sponsor it. Then they show a bunch of pics of differentbats that you can choose from,There are so many differentkinds.

Heres the site:

http://www.batworld.org/adopt_a_bat/adopt_a_bat.html

Edit: oo maybe it is possible to adopt one because it says:

"Adopt one for yourself or as the perfect gift forbat enthusiasts, conservationists, children (an excellent learningtool) or for the person who has everything!"

How cute! I searched my shelves for mymammal id book, but it's apparently in storage. Big brown batseems likely, though. Stupid me, I used to have all thesememorized!:X

Did you ask the rehab center about disease control? Theycould probably tell you if there has been much rabies in your area,too. Just in case, handle her with gloves and maybe a smockor designated "bat clothes" and start a severe flea-killing routine.

And can I get more pictures?:D

WOW! A bat!

Another exciting day at the acres!

Tina please handle with care! I'm sure you already are...

She is a cutie though! and what a name....

hugs'n'kisses!

Common Brown bat get ridof it if it was out inthe daylaying in the driveway on its back its sick, they are known carriers of Rabies .I wouldnt mess with it .,

She is currently on the back porch. Thatway the rabbits can't come into contact with anything she has. I amwearing a trench coat when handling her. I wash my hands with halfbleach half water to be on the safe side. I called a woman in my areathat also rescues bats and am waiting for a call back.

I also called the rehabilitation center to ask about rabiesetc., luckily there have been no casees of rabies in the area for sometime. I am still going to err on the side of caution though. I didn'teven think about fleas, I'll call the center again tomorrow and askwhat I can use on her.

I was looking up pictures and she really looks like a Hoarybat. Apparently we do have them in our area but who knows.:?

I was literally panicking and made the dumbest move of all. Iwas handling her without gloves. I drenched my hands and arms inbleach, took a shower and when I got out I poured on the handsanitizer. What an idiot I was. I hate when I panic like that, talkabout stupid.

Here are a few more pics to help with identification.
Prisilla008.jpg

Prisilla011.jpg

Prisilla012.jpg

Tina

Kind of scary how docile it is.....:?Ilike bats but would be nervous about finding one so quiet, and indaylight.....good luck!

Rose

Here is what I think may have happened.I'm thinking that the kitty that saw her as lunch, knocked her out ofher roost and the only thing that kept her from being eaten wasJeremy's school bus showing up. Maybe the fall knocked her loopy Idon't know, I do know that fall would have made me loopy and lookingfor the nearest hospital.

My reasoning behind this is that I jst went and checked on her.She is walking around her cage, took half a syringe of water and iseating like there is no tomorrow.

I am going to keep an eye on her tomorrow and if she is stilldoing this good or better I may just release her tomorrowevening.

Tina

Aww, its so cute! I found a baby smallbrown bat once. It was really quiet and calm too.Poor thing had got put out of its home (an attic) by 'humane'exterminators. They simply put trps in the house to catch thebats and then threw them outdoors on the ground to dieofwhatever, youngor old - it didn't matter.It died even before I could take it home, but it was nice andcuddled in my hand until the end.:(

But Priscilla looks so cuddly with her little round face!I've always wanted a flying fox/fruit bat - they are so beautiful.

Latest posts

Back