O/T I got my dove!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralover

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I put down a post saying that I would begetting a white dove, and well, I got him today!:DHe isadorable! He is all white and is the most friendly bird i have evermet. He doesn't pick at your fingers or anything!:p:DHe evenflys onto your shoulder!:)Its sooo cute. I just took somepictures of him today. I don't know if he is a boy or agirl:?So I don't have a name for the bird yet. If you haveany name suggestions...I would love to hear them:)Boy andgirl names are fine...or just nutral. Here are some pictures of himbelow...Cotton ball my bunny, hasn't met him yet...heheh..I hope CottonBall won't get jealous;)I'm sure birds and rabbits gettogether...I can't wait for them to meet!:)I hope you likethe pictures of my new dove! The bird is sure a beauty.

Cassandra

ANGORA! I have a pied dove!We've had her for 7 or 8 years. Did you know they live VERYlong lives? Do you have all the info on them (how to feed,etc?)

Put a nest (a nice basket hung with cable ties, or a large feed pan)someplace high in the cage. If it is a girl, she'll lift herbutt in the air and coo (mating call) and you will get little peachywhite eggs in her nest. You can give her nesting materialstoo, but I don't bother with Casper. She's very happy to usefeathers, millet twigs, etc.

Doves have about 5 or 6 sounds they can make. When we gotcasper, she was so afraid of the people and cats she lived with, theyhad never heard her make a sound! Now, she laughs (just likeme is what I hear) coos, peeps, hollers (she makes the same tone andsounds as me calling the dog but can't say the words) and all sorts ofthings!

Be sure you get your bird some oyster shell to put in hisfood. Doves have gizzards and eat the seed shell and allsince they have a soft beak. The oyster shell helps them tobreak down those things.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Doves area bit different than other birds, but SO easy to care for. :)

here's my girl:

Aww..you have such a beautiful dove! Inever knew they lived that long!:)wow! We used to have ring neck dovesand they cooed all the time:)Our dove still has to get a bitused to us...I can't wait to see if our dove will start cooing ornot!:)I will be sure to put a nest in the cage, what a greatidea! Thanks for all the info!:)

Cassandra

Here are a few names I can think of:

Blizzard

Cirrus (clouds)

Powder (remember the movie?)

Pontif (the pope is the pontiff..... he's in white lol)

Gandolf (the white haired wizard in LOTR if it's a girl you could change it to Gandy)

Cotton

Tell us some things about you (interests, hobbies, etc.) that helps :)

Wow, what a beautiful bird. I've never thought ofhaving a dove, I'll bet it's so nice listening to them coo. :) I lovehaving birds as pets too, I really want another one, but am going towait until after we move (again) next year. Hard enough moving with twocats and rabbits, and this next move is going to be across country.

Anyway, great pics!

Thank you from me and from Casper. She's a doll :)

This spring, she was near a window that I keep open a lot and everymorning (and all summer long too) a male mourning dove came up and didhis mating dance and cooed to her while she cooed to him LOL!I often wondered what would happen if I opened the screen!Might he come in for a visit? what cute babies those would be! lol.

We got Casper because my son was little but daughter was reallylittle. He wanted his bird but I didn't want a bird thatwould bite. When we came upon her, she was perfect!She's always very sweet and of course spoiled...... she gets on herswing and hollers at us so we will push her......... she knows how toswing herself, it's just more fun to have someone else doing it LOL!

Congratulations on your new dove. I also have awhite dove :DWelcome to the world of the cooing.laughter, andmaking a home sound more homely. ;)

~*~Amanda~*~

Latest posts

Back