O/T Coated In Ice In Kansas!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberrySwirl

Reaction score
Following up on mypost "Timber" last night, things got nasty! Trees and power lines werecoming down everywhere. Carolyn called me first thing this morning,before I had even peeked outside (bless her heart for always lookingout for us!) I got up and pulled on warm clothes, grabbed the cameraand off I went! :)My little town looks like it got hit by oneof our famous Kansas Twisters, only our houses are still here. Thisstorm took the tops of all the mature trees off. When you look acrossopen fields it looks like a bunch of sticks, no bushy tops.:(I'm going to be so sad come next spring. I'm such atree/garden person. So, here's a bunch of photos.

Raspberry

This is a close up of a tip of a branchthat came off the cotton wood that came down in my back yard. Look howmuch ice is coated on the branch! The little branch inside isn't evenas big as a straw but I put in next to it for comparison.

16i1ie

This is the cottonwood and my backyard.It was a 20 year old tree. At least a nub is left for Sebastian'sLittle Girls tire swing!

16i1kp

This is my front yard maple and then ashot of the big branch that nearly went through our front window atmidnight!

16i1pu

16i1r4

This is another good shot of how coatedthe branches were and why the lines and trees were coming down likethey were

16i1so

Theseshotsare goingdown the road into our little town. All the trees were bent all the wayover from the weight of the ice.

16i1y1

16i1yq

16i1z8

This shows how the tops were just taken off

16i24i

The rest are just "damage"

16i260

16i26o

16i29u

16i2pu

16i490

16i49x

16i4ap

16i4b6

Oh My God,Raspberry!

It's one thing to hear about it, it's another to see thepictures! Wow!! You're so lucky nothing came downon your house.You were Nuts to go out in that toget pictures. I hope you'redone leaving the housefor a while. You never know when a branch is gong togive. Can't believe how thick the ice is on thetrees.

That doesn't look like Kansas anymore.

It breaks your heart to see such beautiful treesbeingbroughtdown. We lost a WeepingWillow tree in the yard one year due to a storm, and I still miss thattree.

I'm thrilled youhave power. You really lucked out.

This picture belowis gorgeous.

-Carolyn

16i1so

:shock:I didn'tknow it was that bad! It looks a little like the hurricanes without iceand snow. I hope nothing happens to your house or you and your family.In some pictures the trees look like trees from iceland!

Wow! You got hit way worse than we did over the weekend. Those pictures are both frightening and beautiful.

Wow, unbelievable. It totally looks exactly likewhen we got that ice storm in '98. We too lost a lot of trees, it'shard to see the damage done. Even still there is evidence of thatstorm, from the tops broken off trees.

I didn't think to take any pictures, I'm glad you did. It is something you'll never forget.

W-o-w :shock: That's incredible! You're so lucky to have escaped greater damage.

Carolyn wrote:
Oh MyGod,Raspberry!

It's one thing to hear about it, it's another to see thepictures! Wow!! You're so lucky nothing came downon your house.You were Nuts to go out in that toget pictures. I hope you'redone leaving the housefor a while. You never know when a branch is gong togive. Can't believe how thick the ice is on thetrees.

That doesn't look like Kansas anymore.

It breaks your heart to see such beautiful treesbeingbroughtdown. We lost a WeepingWillow tree in the yard one year due to a storm, and I still miss thattree.

I'm thrilled youhave power. You really lucked out.

This picture belowis gorgeous.

-Carolyn

16i1so
I liked that picture too. You know how Ilove to take pictures, I could have taken some beautiful photos but itwas 12 degrees and I kept dodging rescue vehicles and power lines. Ileft without telling anyone, so I didn't stay out long. You silly girl,scolding me for going out in this! I live for that kind of thing! Ifyou were here I'd have dragged you along! I play the tough Momma anddon't let my kids go out, but I sneak out before they get out of bed togo scout around for myself! :cool:

Raspberry

HOLY CANOLE!

It's freezing rain here, but it's not that bad! there's alayer of ice on the trees and they are weighted down already!

I'm glad you didn't have major damage and that everyone is safe. Stay that way!

Mother Nature can really be an ole rip, can'tshe? I've been thru several ice storms like thatthru the years. No fun! It didn't getthat bad here this time. Still snowing and blowing likecrazy. I'm surprised that you didn't lose power with all thatice!!! Yes, some of these pictures are beautiful,and you captured that beauty quite well.When I was in storms like this, I had to get out and take pictures,too! :))

- Dolores

I'm still gettingbrown outs and I've had little power outages. I could still lose minebecause it's still supposed to snow and the wind is picking up. Mysister and Dad have been without power for since yesterday morning andthey are tellingthem it could be A WEEK!!! There arethousands and thousands here without power. My husband is over at Dad'sright now rigging up a generator to his furnace so that my sistersfamily can move in with him for the duration. My little niece hasasthma and they have had a fireplace going but breathing the smoke hassent her into a bad reaction, so she is here with me until they get thegenerator going. A WEEK....can you imagine?

Raspberry

That's awful. I really hope your power doesn't goout and that your family's is up and running soon. It's not fun beingw/out power for that long..been there.

Btw, where is your avatar?

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
I'm still getting brown outsand I've had little power outages. I could still lose mine because it'sstill supposed to snow and the wind is picking up. My sister and Dadhave been without power for since yesterday morning and they aretellingthem it could be A WEEK!!! There are thousands andthousands here without power. My husband is over at Dad's right nowrigging up a generator to his furnace so that my sisters family canmove in with him for the duration. My little niece has asthma and theyhave had a fireplace going but breathing the smoke has sent her into abad reaction, so she is here with me until they get the generatorgoing. A WEEK....can you imagine?

Raspberry
So when is your sister and father moving in?

And I was wondering the same thing, where's your avatar??

If you're sick of Sebbie, I'll take him.

-Carolyn

i can believe it, we get those yearly. I'm justhoping.. though doupt it, that it will hold out untill AFTER we move...extreamly commonin my mums area as well..She went w/o power for 4weeks, thats why it's so important to have an alternative heat sourceif they use anything that uses eletric. looks like a normalwinter to me:p

it does though after all is done look like something from a movie, an icequeen land or something..beautiful but deadly

Poor people! We are in for it heretoo! Uggh! We had 24 inches of snowabout a weekago. In two days our 24 inches of snow turned intowater.We've had about 3 days of non stop rain bringing in about 2 or 3inches. All the fields are under water and looking like ponds and evenlakes! Its 34 degrees at 3 pm outside. So this means all this stuffwill freeze over night! We are to get sleet tomorrow morning and snowby the evening. Ughh..and I have to drive 45 mins to collegewith teachers who don't understand that my county gets the worseweather.
I'll send pics of the big lake that was a field. :p

~*~Amanda~*~

I think I had a brown out once when I was really sick. Hehe! :D:D:D

Lissa wrote:
Brown outs?:? You mean black outs? :?

We've been having "brown outs" today. It's partial loss ofpower -- flickering lights, etc. -- rather than a complete power loss(black out).

We're lucky that in our area of PA, it hasn't gotten that cold yet, sowe primarily had slush. Worse was expected and many of theschools are closed.

Pam

Wow this is soo strange. Here I sit inMaine where we ususally have lots of snow and we have hardlyanything. Gray- gray- gray skies and a little ice but verylittle snow.

We had a huge Ice storm here also in 98 and my folks were without powerfor 24 days!!!! I can't imagine. We were hardlywithout power because we were in the same power grid as the hospitaland they take first priority!!

Stay warm and safe-we'll be thinkin of ya.

Jen

PS if it's too cold for Sebs, Bugs is still looking for a pal.

Here is an example of our flooding that we havearound here. This is what you see when driving down the road.Sorryfor thequality of the picture as itwasdusk and I was going 55 mph down the road as a passangerof course!:D

This winter has been quite intresting in Ohio!
We started off with a 60 degree weather, rain, tornado warning, andsnow in one day. We then got our 24 inches of snow and it allmelted resulting to this 'flood' ontop of that we've had rain for 3days non stop! Tonight we are to get sleet and or snow.
~*~Amanda~*~

Latest posts

Back