O/T: Baby Bird Fell Out of Nest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrustwi

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
We have a nest right outside our frontdoor. We've been watching these eggs and then the littlebabies. The nest is a wren nest, but a silly robin laid hereggs in it, now the babies are so big, I don't think all 3 canfit. I just put Harley out and one was sitting in theyard. They have feathers now, but it doesn't seem to be ableto fly. Mommy and Daddy are out there and basically tried todive bomb Harley when he went near the baby. The baby hoppedout of Harley's reach, but Mommy and Daddy are still out therescreaming and the baby peeps when he sees them.

Do you think he fell out or he flew out or what? I looked tomake sure and there are only 2 in the nest now, but they take theentire nest. The poor little guy is out there and it'sstarting to rain. I don't know what to do. I'mhoping he's learning to fly or something. But I don'tknow. Suggestions???

Jen

Most likely was pushed out by the stongersibs. Very common in birds. You can try putting himback, but he'll likely get pushed back out. I'venever fed a wild bird -- you might want to call a local wildliferehabber for some advice.

Here's some info to get you started . . .http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/ip/environment/birdcare/foster.txt

Pam

babytriosmall.jpg

Thanks Pam. That's kind of what I wasthinking. I'm looking for a wild life rehab in this area butcan't seem to find one. Maybe I'm not searching for the rightthing.

Jen

Edit: I just went back out to look, and he's gone, just gone.I'm praying he decided to take flight. I swear they hatched along time ago...I really can't remember and I don't know how long ittakes before they can fly.... I don't want to think of theother possibilities. But Mommy and Daddy left him too, theyare out feeding the 2 left in the nest. We have a lot of catsaround, but they never come as far as our house because of the insaneneighbor's nasty dogs.

I hada similiar circumstance a fewmonths ago. It's quite common that they will fall out of thenest when they're learning to flyand as Pam said, may getpushed out to learn how to fly. Try not to think of thelittle one getting taken by another creature. It's not goingto do you any good.

I know what it's like to fall in love that fast and try so much to helpthe little one. I was able to keep the one I had overnightand in a rabbit's travel cage with some hay. It did fine, butwas looking at me like his/her mom the next day when it washungry. From what I understand, my little one found it'swings after some care at the Audobon Center and was happily releasedinto the wild a week or two later.

We all do the best we can; that's all you can do.

-Carolyn

OMG!! He's back!! I just had to rescuehim from Harley. I have no idea where he came from.Harley's been out for over an hour and I just heard peeping.The little tiny thing was holding his own against the dog. Itwas funny. I drug Harley inside, I'm going to go check on thelittle one, but Mommy and Daddy are back and they are mad!!

I have to try to find a rehaber in the area...

Jen

Whata little trooper!

I'd definitely take him to a rehabber. You might considertaking him inside, putting him in a little travel cage of one of thebuns with some hay to get comfy on, and then giving the little one somemoist cat food (watered down). If the little one is stillopening its mouth waiting for mom to feed it, you can use an eyedropper to get it into his system.

-Carolyn

I just talked to a rehaber and after explainingthe situation, she said it sounds like he's about to fly on hisown. She said to leave him for a little while and see whathe's doing. And if I'm still concerned to bring himin. First she said to try to put him back in the nest, but hejust won't fit! They are so big in that tiny nest.If the others get any bigger, they won't both fit either.

To be honest, I can't find him again. I think he's in somebushes. I'm going to watch him, but Mom and Dad are stillaround and frankly, I'm a little afraid they will try to attack me if Ipick him up. If he's still about in a bit, I'll bring him inand close him in the rabbit room.

Jen

Usually when young birds are seen alone and outof the nest, the parents arnt far away. And if you pick itup, the parent birds will smell your scent on their chick and reject it.

We had the same thing happen here last summer...

It's best to leave them alone. Mum and dad are close by, with a good birds eye view of things... No punn intended!

What happened to us was we had a big storm and three of the chicks wereknocked out of the nest, (the only reason I know this is because Peterand I LOVE storms, and usually sit out on the deck and watch them)after a HUGE gust of wind. Mum was right there to protect them, butfrom afar...

Because it was raining so hard, Peter and I went into the garage andbuilt a little hidey hole out of scrap wood, and placedit under the bigmaple tree they fell from. All three went inside and kept VERY dry, andsure enough when the storm passed Mum was there to give them thierberrys from our Mulberry tree...

:monkey::monkey:

Harveysmum wrote:
Usually when young birds are seen alone and out of the nest,the parents arnt far away. And if you pick it up, the parentbirds will smell your scent on their chick and reject it.
Actually, I've heard before and from the 2 rehabers that I talked totoday, that this isn't true. Both rehabers told me it wouldbe just fine to try to put him back in the nest. I didn't puthim in, because he doesn't fit with the other 2 there already, but therehab ladies said that was actually the very best thing I could do forhim.

Jen

I have fostered wild birds all of my life. I donot suggest putting it back in the nest. The mother bird will kill herbabies if they smell "funny." If you want to foster it, this is what Isuggest doing.

Line a shoe box with paper towel or newspaper. Striped tissue papermakes great bedding for baby birds. Under the shoe box, you can put aheating pad to keep the baby warm or put the shoe box in a really warmarea of your house. (Or you can shine a light on the box)

As for feeding, I've fed my birds baby bird formula with an eyedropper.If that's not available to you, baby cereal mixed with water orwatered-down baby food (mushy peas, banana, whatever) will do too. Youcan feed the baby until the sac on its chest/throat area puffs up. Keepfeeding the baby food and water everytime the sac "deflates."

If you have any questions, PM me. Good luck!

I can't even find him now. The mom wason the ground with him feeding him earlier. I'm not sure whatto do. He seems to get around quite well by hopping and doinga tiny bit of flying. I don't know enough about fosteringbirds...dogs, cats, rabbits, I can do, but birds? I'm notsure. If he appears again, which I feel pretty sure he will,I'm almost positive he's hiding in some weeds by a telephone polethat's kind of in my yard, I'm going to bring him in. I'llprobably only keep him until Wednesday when I'm going to Pittsburghwhere I know someone who does rehabing. She only does smallmammals, but I'm sure she knows someone who does birds. I waslooking...are robins considered song birds? See I don't evenknow that. I really don't know much about birds ingeneral. I'm still pretty afraid of picking him up, he's alittle nuts,and I've had some nasty bird bites.

Jen

Latest posts

Back