Nut's Have More Fun!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nut

Reaction score
[align=center]Nutmeg

[/align]
[align=center]Well, as some of you may know, I was recently allowed to get a pet for my birthday, after many years of begging. I hadasked for many different species, breeds, and branches of the animal kingdom; but to no success. Then, finally I was allowed to get a rabbit. I had been asking for one for over a month, and reading anything rabbit-relatedI could get my hands on. And now,I'd like you all to meet Nutmeg, my rabbit:[/align]

[align=center]
bestbunny471x600gq2.jpg
[/align]

[align=center]Breed: [/align]

[align=center]Nutmeg is a Netherland Dwarf mix. Through her coloring and markings (which you can't see well in this picture) I am guessing she is part Cinnamon. I am predicting that since Cinnamon is a large size rabbit, and Netherland Dwarf is, well...a dwarf, she will reach standard size.

[/align]
[align=center]Birthday: September 7th, 2007

[/align]
[align=center]Gender: Female

[/align]
[align=center]Story:[/align]

[align=center]You could call me getting Nutmeg from a petstore a rescue. This adorable little 9 week old bunny was bred to be snakefood, but amazingly, the snakes were all given away right before her litter was born. She was put into the petstore when she was 8 weeks (the age they are supposed to leave their mother) and had one litter mate in the cage with her.I held them both, but got to Nutmeg first. I held her, and she didn't squirm at all. She just laid there, calm as ever, letting me turn her on herback and everything. She looked the healthiest, and the most social. See, at first I went in search of a Rhinelander, English Spot, or some other breed I had picked out. Netherland Dwarf was definately not on my list. The petstore with Nutmeg was the first store that sold rabbits. I almost didn't find her, I only saw one big, gray, lop-eared rabbit. Now, lop-eared's weren't exactly my favorite then.

[/align]
[align=center]Then, we went to another store toget a cage, and we saw a sign for rabbits on sale. We pulled into this, well...it looked like a junkyard. Mud everywhere, and a ton of rabbits in their outdoor pens, drinking out of soda bottles, covered in their own urine. Now, the extremely hard part - all the breeds I really wanted were sitting sadly right there in those cages. I wanted one of those bunnies so badly, but I knew they were not the best choice. The man said "there are more out in the yard". I just thought, domesticated rabbits, running wild in the mud? And the ones actually in cages? Their cage doors were wideopen.[/align]

[align=center]We went to the petstore laterthat night, and I had the cage all set up. My little bunny was so cute, I was so happy. I got hera treat, some wooden blocks, and a loving home. She is now litter trained after I found her corner, and living happily as my little indoor lap bunny. She is confined to her cage most of the day, but I like to let her out atleast once every day. I am planning on starting rabbit hopping with her soon, and she will be my little winner, whether she does it or not.[/align]
[align=center]

Nutmeg's First Outdoor Adventure!

[ame=http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=8e5rfx3&s=1]http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=8e5rfx3&s=1[/ame]

She's not exactly "outside, outside", but a screened porch is close enough! It was warm outside so I brought her out, and I really think she enjoyed it. She was binkying all over when I brought her out again. :D

The video isn't the best for all computers, but it's the only hoster I could find. In the video you can see how big she's gotten, and see her markings more clearly.

[/align]
[align=left]And here we have her favorite toy: my slinky. When my friend and I made a 'rabbit castle' out of the box she came in, I tried giving her a slinky. She loved it...and I got a video![/align]
[align=left]http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff259/chocolaterabbit/?action=view&current=NutmegslinkyBAD.flv

[/align]
[align=left]Sorry it's kind of dark, we took it in my room.

[/align]
[align=left]And here is the first time I got her in a harness, her first one was too big, so I got her this one. Here she is:[/align]

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Okay, now that's my darling little bunny! You may now start oohing and ahhing at the beautiful bun. <3

[/align]

Awww, it's little Nutty! Ilove her. *ponders what treat to bring her our next visit*:hugsquish:

Awww...thanks guys!

Well..you'll never believe what happened today...I took Nutmeg to the Vet to get her checked out and ask some questions about spaying......I guess I won't have to worry about that - Nutmeg's a boy! :shock:It caught me offguard...I checked about 5 times...but didn't see anything. She looked and popped it right out. I'm not sure if I'm happy or disapointed. I liked thinking of her as my little girl, and she seemed to look/act like one, but I'm also relieved the surgery will probably be easier (she still recommended it because of the aggression, acting up, etc.), and females are more aloof. Well, either way, it will take some getting used to.

Nut was really nice to me after the hospital...she/he was so traumatized while we were there. Shaking so hard, and still a little bit a couple hours after we got home. He kept jumping up into my arms - and she (he) hasn't been so 'loving' toward me since we got her (him). So all day she was letting me pet her with no complaining at all. Poor thing was shoving her face into my elbow while we were there...kept launching onto my shoulder. We're going back the 25th for his neuter, but my mom is dropping him (I keep wanting to say 'her') off before I go to school...so I don't get to see him first.

Well...he's still my little girl no matter what. :pI'll post about the appointment later...beddy time for me. lol

Now the question: Keep the name, or shorten it to Nut? I really liked the name Nutmeg...but now it seems odd...but then again, we'll just have to pretend. What do you guys think?

Wow! Genderfairy is just hitting everyone. Hmm...Nutmeg sounds good like a boy name I think. And you like it, so why not just keep it if you can't find another name you like?

I have the urge to come over and rub his cheeks and call him nutter butter, haha. :p

Aw, I'm sorry he's a boy, but a bunnybun nonetheless:). You'll see that it doesn't matter one bit though;). It happens alot when they're so young. Breeders even have that happen. At least you don't have to change his name though.

The baby pic is so precious, with those ears back :inlove:.

Aww, thanks guys! Nut knows how cute he looked in that picture. :biggrin2:

So the Neuter went well, but there were days after where I could tell he was in a lot of pain. After two days of trying to figure out that syringe, he finally started eating after I sprinkled some of the Holy Water I got on Easter on him and said a few prayers (and of course all of the prayers from you guys on RO!). I was so completely relieved, I was worried sick.

Here's the post from the thread I put up about the neuter.

DayAfter Neuter, March 26

"Okay, so I went to the vet two weeks ago, and found out the Nut's a boy...I'd tell you more about it, but I have more pressing issues. If you want to know more, check out his blog.

So yesterday at about 8 we dropped him off to get neutered (I got to skip Gym :D) and he was really scared then (as he was at the first visit). He's been a nervous wreck. So when I got home from school my mom said she had already gotten him about twenty minutes ago. I took him upstairs and put him in his cage to rest. Just as I suspected, and very normal, he just kept flopping on his side and resting all day. I didn't think too much about it.

So today when I got home, he didn't eat at all, and there were only about 10 fecal pellets in his litter box and cage. The only time he would eat was when I hand fed him his hay, and he had about 2/3 inch of carrot (which I didn't really want to give him then but that's all he would eat). He would barely touch a raisin after I tried quite a few times, wouldn't even eat a yummy fattening pretzel treat (my last resort). I figured he was just in pain, but I called the vet because I didn't know how long he could go without food. So I took him in at around 7:20, and she gave him a needle for the pain and filled his neck with water under his fur...something about hydration seeping into the skin (he was drinking some water though before I brought him in and last night).

She gave me critical care Oxbow food to syringe feed. Thesyringe wasn't big enough I found out when I got home, so I gave about half. I had my dad helping (who was getting POed, but I know he still loves him...even though he doesn't like to show it), and Nutmeg wouldn't stay still. I tried wrapping him in a towel, but I was worried he would hurt himself with all his twisting. It ended up more on me and the couch than in Nutmeg or even ON him, and I just don't know how to get it in his mouth, especially now that I might do it tonight by myself because my dad went to bed. I might ask my mom to help in the morning...she's at work now, but I don't want to wait too long. I don't know how to hold him still, or get it in his mouth. Any suggestions? How long can bunnies go without food? He keeps sneezing now, do I have to worry about his nose closing up?

I'm really worried...he isn't acting himself and I hope he gets better. Any advice appreciated...Thank you."

March 28

I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner, things have been really hectic with Nutty.

Bo, they gave him pain meds just after his surgery, but I guess they wore off because he wouldn't eat and was keeping his legs spread, and acting all funny. So the day I posted this, I went back to the vet for another pain shot and they gave him a shot of water under his fur...something like that atleast.

So I syringe fed him twice again yesterday. We actually got some more in, after my mom found out how to open his mouth right after like, one try. I'm serious, she should be a vet. She could put him in a trance before me, syringe feed him before me, do the dominance over the head thing I still can't do...She's like the polymath of animals! ...it's really annoying. :pBut I'm glad she is, we actually got some critical care foodin Nutmeg this time, so I'm glad.

Before I put Nut back in after surgery, I put Carefresh Ultra bedding in because I thought it would be better for the wound, instead of scratchy wood chips. Yesterday afternoon I changed it back to see if there were any changes (and if he was just being a brat) but there wasn't much of a change. When I went to bed it looked like there were some food pellets missing, but not much atleast, and a little more poop. I was still really worried, because things didn't look too much better that night. I said a prayer for Nutmeg (two prayers, one to St. Francis), and put Holy Water on him that I got at Church this Easter. I'm not trying to preach my religion or anything, but when I got home from school today all the food but a few (maybe 6)pellets were gone and I could see the bottom of the dish. I was so amazingly glad! And there was a nice pile of poop in the litterbox too! I've never been so happy to see a pile of crap, but I was.

So me and Nutty celebrated, and I think he now thinks momma is mentally insane, but I'm just so glad. I'll let you guys know if anything else changes.

Thanks for all your prayers, I'm sure He heard them and decided to help my little baby boy out. <3

Latest posts

Back