Nutritional Facts

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JadeIcing

Reaction score
I have been getting some different pellets and wondering if they are as good. I know they are good just wondering if as good.I want to figure which one is best.
Oxbow.... http://www.oxbowhay.com/link.sp?page=ingredientsbbt

Bunny Basics/T

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 14.00 %
Crude Fat (min) 1.50 %
Crude Fiber (min) 25.00 %
Crude Fiber (max) 29.00 %
Moisture (max) 10.00 %
Calcium(min) 0.35 %
Calcium (max) 0.85 %
Phosphorus (min) 0.25 %
Salt (min) 0.50 %
Salt (max) 1.00 %
Vitamin A, IU/kg 20,000
Vitamin D, IU/kg 880
Vitamin E, IU/kg 140
Copper, mg/kg 20

Ingredients
Timothy Grass Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Salt, Limestone, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (tocopherol), Vitamin C Supplement (Ascorbic Acid), Colloidal Silica, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate, Potassium Chloride
SweetMeadow.......... http://sweetmeadowfarm.com/pel_rabtimothy2.html

pel_rabtimothy2.jpg

Just cause this is the Guinea Pig one.

Oxbow

Cavy Cuisine

Guaranteed Analysis

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 14.00 %
Crude Fat (min) 1.50 %
Crude Fiber (min) 25.00 %
Crude Fiber (max) 28.00 %
Moisture (max) 10.00 %
Calcium(min) 0.35 %
Calcium (max) 0 .85 %
Phosphorus (min) 0.25 %
Salt (min) 0.50 %
Salt (max) 1.00 %
Vitamin A, IU/kg 20,000
Ascorbic Acid (Vit C) mg/kg 400
Vitamin D, IU/kg 880
Vitamin E, IU/kg 140
Copper, mg/kg20

Ingredients

Timothy Grass Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Salt, L-ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Limestone, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (tocopherol), Ascorbic Acid, Colloidal Silica, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Idodate, Potassium Chloride

SweetMeadow

pel_gptimothy2.jpg

They look about the same. I know some people on Etherbun really like the Sweet Meadow pellets. I don't know anything about cavy pellets but they look similar too.

Looks okay.

Low protein, high fiber is what I've always looked for.

I use the Kaytee Timothy Complete.....for the same reason as you. $$$ave ching!!

It's a bit low on fiber, but the buns have been doing fine for years now.

Here's theirs:

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.)...............13.0%
Crude Fat (min.)......................1.5%
Crude Fiber (min.)..................18.0%
Crude Fiber (max.).................23.0%
Moisture (max.).....................12.0%
Calcium (min.).........................0.3%
Calcium (max.)........................0.8%
Phosphorus (min.)...................0.3%
Salt (min.).............................0.25%
Salt (max.)............................0.75%
Vitamin A (min.)................5000IU/lb

JimD wrote:
Looks okay.

Low protein, high fiber is what I've always looked for.

I use the Kaytee Timothy Complete.....for the same reason as you. $$$ave ching!!

It's a bit low on fiber, but the buns have been doing fine for years now.

Here's theirs:

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.)...............13.0%
Crude Fat (min.)......................1.5%
Crude Fiber (min.)..................18.0%
Crude Fiber (max.).................23.0%
Moisture (max.).....................12.0%
Calcium (min.).........................0.3%
Calcium (max.)........................0.8%
Phosphorus (min.)...................0.3%
Salt (min.).............................0.25%
Salt (max.)............................0.75%
Vitamin A (min.)................5000IU/lb
I agree about the protein and fiber. Around here, the Kaytee Complete costs more than the Oxbow. I buy the Oxbow from a vet who gives a discount.

JadeIcing wrote:
I dont know why I just like Oxbow more.

The only way I could afford Oxbow, would be to order 50 pounds on line and have it delivered.
It actualy works out cheaper than anything else.
That's the way I buy their hay.

Our petstore carries Oxbow products, but it's pricey.

I was doing that but is alot cheaper to get the pellets directly from Sweetmeadow.

From Oxbow it is cheaper two order two things of pellets cause of shipping. Sweetmeadow has much cheaper shipping. Also a bit of a discount if you have it shipped to a bussiness which I can to my moms job.

With the shipping cost and the fact 50# doesn't last long it's Sweetmeadow for now.

JimD wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
I dont know why I just like Oxbow more.

The only way I could afford Oxbow, would be to order 50 pounds on line and have it delivered.
It actualy works out cheaper than anything else.
That's the way I buy their hay.

Our petstore carries Oxbow products, but it's pricey.

JimD wrote:
When we first got Bender, that's the brand and type of pellets we used because it was the best option at the time we went shopping. Although the numbers are good (which is what I initially looked at/for too), you might want to switch pellets, if you can.

The concern is that Kaytee puts ethoxyquin in their pellets. It's a food preservative, although it's also used as arubber preservative and the Dept. of Agriculture lists it as a pesticide. A lot of pet owners believe thatethoxyquin has caused health problems (even cancer)in their pets. If you do a Google search for "ethoxyquin," you'll find plenty of sites about it.

I didn't know about this until someone on another rabbit forum told me and thought I should pass along the information. Well before I knew this, I wanted to switch to Oxbow. That's what the furkids are on now. :)

jam224 wrote:
JimD wrote:
When we first got Bender, that's the brand and type of pellets we used because it was the best option at the time we went shopping. Although the numbers are good (which is what I initially looked at/for too), you might want to switch pellets, if you can.

The concern is that Kaytee puts ethoxyquin in their pellets. It's a food preservative, although it's also used as arubber preservative and the Dept. of Agriculture lists it as a pesticide. A lot of pet owners believe thatethoxyquin has caused health problems (even cancer)in their pets. If you do a Google search for "ethoxyquin," you'll find plenty of sites about it.

I didn't know about this until someone on another rabbit forum told me and thought I should pass along the information. Well before I knew this, I wanted to switch to Oxbow. That's what the furkids are on now. :)
You'll have a hard time finding pellets that don't have something in it.
Even Oxbow...sorry.

"Oxbow contains Menadione, a synthetic Vitamin K additive thatis believedto cause (among other things) 'cytotoxicity in liver cells'.Many pet food manufacturers are starting to remove it from their products."

JimD wrote:
jam224 wrote:
JimD wrote:

You'll have a hard time finding pellets that don't have something in it.
Even Oxbow...sorry.

"Oxbow contains Menadione, a synthetic Vitamin K additive thatis believedto cause (among other things) 'cytotoxicity in liver cells'.Many pet food manufacturers are starting to remove it from their products."
I guess people will have to choose between the lesser of 2 evils then. :?

Latest posts

Back