NUT teachers union STRIKE

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

Reaction score
Tomorrow yrs 7 8 9 and 10 don't have to go to school at my school - YAY day off,
Its becuase teachers in the NUT union don't think they are getting paid enough so they are going on strike.

All the kids at my svchool are liken really happy - I am as well but people need to remember the real reason we are getting a day off - some teachers may not have enough money to support themsdelves and their family - the other kids just don't see this.
Well persoanlly i hope the strike works and the teachers get the money theyb deserve.

What do you guys think?

My teachers did the same but it lasted throughout the year. People were getting mad because the teachers ended up encouraging the students to strike (because teachers refused to do extra-curricular activities) and then we staged a walk-out. Lol. We all got a one day suspension written in our school file, though we never actually had a suspension. Brings back memories...

I do, however, respect teachers enormously and strongly feel that they should earn more. They do so much for their students, go above and beyond their simple teacher duties, and they deserve it. :)

I'm planning on becoming a teacher and as much as I agree that teachers deserve more money for what they do (average annual income in the US after 5 years of experience is around $38,000) I think that they are ignoring everything they were taught in school, the most important thing you need to know for being a teacher is that THE STUDENTS COME FIRST and striking on a school day is counter productive to students and the administration - even to them if they have to make up school days at the end of the year. I understand that at this point in time people really don't listen to teacher's needs and this is the only way they can get their point across, but I really feel that it is not the best option.

I do support the teachers (especially as my sister is in training to become one) but if I'm going to be honest I'm annoyed that they are striking right now. My AS exams are so ridiculously soon and now I miss 5 hours of lessons that I really need.:? Most schools are keeping their 6th form sections open but basically all my teachers are in the NUT so I can't go in.:X

At the school my cousin teaches at, it is quite easy to get raises, or at least from what I've heard. The school pays for you to take some pointless class and you get a... 5,000 raise, I think? Something around there. And you can take a max of 4 in a year. I'm sure you'll reach a level where you can't go on, but teachers in my area can earn a decent income. Benefits are pretty good, too.

Is it not enough? I think so, compared to the society we live in that glorifies athletes, etc. - but that's a whole 'nother story. However, there are some teachers at my school that darn well do NOT deserve the money they get paid. One of my friend's parent works for board of ed and he told me you get paid according to the # of years you have been teaching. Not if you're a better teacher or anything. Masters and other doctorates don't figure that much. Well, sorry, but my hardworking, I'll stay after school if you need me, math teacher deserves much more than my lazy gym teacher - highest paid in school, who never does anything. He's taken about 2 months off this year, left a class alone to get a haircut, and stands around staring a confiscated cell phones. The only reason he's still hired is because he coaches baseball. Bah. Academics aren't rated highly enough.

Sorry. You just reached a subject that irks me a lot. :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back