Nursing mama has some small/misshapen poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessamine

Reaction score
Hello all!
I might be a little paranoid, because we lost our first precious bun to what I’m pretty sure was GI stasis, but I need a little reassurance! Our Holland lop gave birth to 5 kits sometime in the very wee hours of Dec 11. She has unlimited access to her Timothy/orchard blend hay, alfalfa hay, and pellets, and she’s been eating much more than usual now, which I expected! What’s throwing me is the fact that I found several small and misshapen poops scattered around her pen this morning. Her more recent ones have all been fine, so I’m assuming that means I shouldn’t panic, but is it okay for their tummies to have occasional issues like this? Especially after a big event, like giving birth? Thank you in advance!

Congrats on the babies! It is normal for rabbits to have smaller poops after giving birth because of the stress. As long as she is still eating and her poops are going back to normal she should be fine.

Congrats on the babies! It is normal for rabbits to have smaller poops after giving birth because of the stress. As long as she is still eating and her poops are going back to normal she should be fine.
Okay, thank you! I figured if she was eating, it was temporary, but I’m so freaked out about stasis (aren’t we all!)

And thank you! It’s been a complete turn around from her disastrous first litter - she’s done everything right - so I have more hope that these babies will survive. 😬❤️

Just prior and during giving birth, their eating is usually reduced, so that and the stress of giving birth could cause a temporary gut slowdown and change of the fecal poop causing them to be smaller and possibly a little oddly shaped. But as long as they go back to normal now that she is eating normally again, it shouldn't be an issue.

Just prior and during giving birth, their eating is usually reduced, so that and the stress of giving birth could cause a temporary gut slowdown and change of the fecal poop causing them to be smaller and possibly a little oddly shaped. But as long as they go back to normal now that she is eating normally again, it shouldn't be an issue.
Thank you! The reassurance is so appreciated. ❤️ It’s been normal every time I’ve checked today. I just panicked when I saw that, but I figured having babies could’ve played a part!

Back