NUMMY!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldoerr

Reaction score
I just gave the rabbits banana for the first time in a LONG time. The only other time they have had it was before they were spayed and I was trying to bond them (I know, bad idea, but it worked out in the end). They would not eat it then (they would not eat anything when they were out to run). So today I was eating a banana and decided to see if they would eat it. They LOVED it. The begged for more, and being soo cute I gave them each another 1/3 slice. They LOVED it. They kept looking around for more. This was the only teat that they had today so I figured giving a little bit more would not hurt them. Also they only rarely get treats other than their veggies, hay and pellets. Shiny Things kept giving me "the look" so I gave her an Oxbow Papaya Tablet. Beauty does not like them but Shiny Things does which is good since she is going through a major molt right now.

Anyways sorry about the rambling. I just thought that I would share how much my rabbits like banana. Do your rabbits like it? What are your rabbits favorite treats?

I've tried banana twice and neither would touch it??? I think I need to try it again though because to me it sounds like bunny crack so I bet they will like it if they would just try it!

Mine love blueberries though.

I also tried banana's twice with no luck. Strangely though, I recently tried banana chips (dried banana) and he loves it. So eventually I'll attempt the fresh variety again but I think it was the crunch that made the difference.

Peter always LOVED bananas, Phoenix likes them too but she doesn't beg for any treats. I don't know how to win her over :/

Imbrium wrote:
seriously, there are few things more adorable than a bunny with their wittle mouf stuffed with banana mush!

Okay this is SO true!

I just tried banana again because of this thread. Archie LOVED it and his noming and mush face and squish sounds of his chewing was too cute for words!

Agnes still won't try it. She sat there and even watched Archie nom and squish (maybe she thought it was as cute as I did) but wouldn't eat or even try hers.

She's picky though. She doesn't like cilantro, parsley, basil, mint, carrots, apples, applesauce (tried during bonding) grapes, or red oak lettuce.

She likes romaine, kale, green oak and blueberries. Honestly, the thing she gets most excited about is romaine. Hoe boring :p

I've never had a bunny that didn't go bananas for bananas! :biggrin2:

The more ripe, the more they like it.

Hey Lauren, I just read somewhere the suggestion to crumble a papaya tablet on to pellets a few times to get a rabbit to get "used to" it. They claim that that will get them to like the papaya tablets. (Some rabbits may take more "sprinkled doses" before they start taking the tablets.)

agnesthelion wrote:
Imbrium wrote:
seriously, there are few things more adorable than a bunny with their wittle mouf stuffed with banana mush!

Okay this is SO true!

I just tried banana again because of this thread. Archie LOVED it and his noming and mush face and squish sounds of his chewing was too cute for words!

Agnes still won't try it. She sat there and even watched Archie nom and squish (maybe she thought it was as cute as I did) but wouldn't eat or even try hers.

She's picky though. She doesn't like cilantro, parsley, basil, mint, carrots, apples, applesauce (tried during bonding) grapes, or red oak lettuce.

She likes romaine, kale, green oak and blueberries. Honestly, the thing she gets most excited about is romaine. Hoe boring :p

Ha, ha, Lisa.

Agnes truly is the queen!

Ours don't like banana. Finn is the only one that will eat blueberries, strawberries, or craisins--he's never met a food he didn't like. The only fruit the others will touch is apple.

My Babies liked Bananas, though their favorites are carrot tops, celery leaves, turnip leaves and apple peels. Today we were clearing out the garden and found tons of baby carrot sprouts that the girls just devoured.

2646x5u.jpg

Monty eats everything I present to her, except some things I have to leave in her dish for her to "get to". To get her to check out a papaya tablet, I left it in her dish after she turned her nose up at it. When she ran out of pellets, she resorted to eating it, and lo and behold, she took the next one immediately when I offered it. For a treat, I separate banana peels into strips and let them air dry, then store them in an empty Parmesan shaker in the fridge. When I'm about to eat a fresh banana, I poke the stemless end (the "top" according to the way they grow) into her cage to let her "trim" the end off. She really loves crunching the peel and getting to the mushy insides, and I like that I don't have to pinch off the end I don't like :D win-win! I write "bunanas" on the grocery list whenever we run out.

Blue eyes wrote:
Hey Lauren, I just read somewhere the suggestion to crumble a papaya tablet on to pellets a few times to get a rabbit to get "used to" it. They claim that that will get them to like the papaya tablets. (Some rabbits may take more "sprinkled doses" before they start taking the tablets.)
when I first got papaya tablets, I was like "how the heck are you supposed to feed these to a rabbit" (had expected something gummy-vitamin like). I broke one into fourths and tried to get them to eat the pieces, but they wouldn't even try it. I gave up and just dropped them in this little food bowl with some of the "fluff" from their alfalfa (loose leaves that would've fallen through the litter box grid) and lo and behold, the pill bits eventually disappeared. now my bunnies go NUTS for the papaya tabbies and will happily munch and crunch on them (I still break 'em into fourths though to spread out the treat).

Ok. After all this talk of bananas, I realized I had overripe ones, so... last night I gave some to the buns:
[ame=http://youtu.be/Yj2ZyI4Lkwc]http://youtu.be/Yj2ZyI4Lkwc[/ame]

Please do pardon my "bunny voice" :blushan: ...I can't help it.

Oh good grief Suzette that was awesome!! Serious cuteness right there :) they were SO excited!!

And please don't feel the need to excuse your bunny voice. I myself have one. Lol. Something just happens when you talk to a bunny. Voice goes up a few octaves! :) :)

That was suck a great video. My bunnies are really learning to like fruit. I give them each a grape at night and they like that as well. They are still a little bit unsure about it though. I will try the papaya in the food dish thing with them.

Latest posts

Back