Now what??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momto3boys

Reaction score
I don't know what to do about Snickers cage....

It's a plastic bottom cage and I first put shavings in it, well he was digging those all out and covering his food bowls, toys, and ALL over the floor, ALL the time. Then I tried a blanket, well he dug, dug and dug some more at that and then balled it all up and chewed holes all through it.

So I bought his a nice rug last night, not the carpet kind but the old fashioned type ones (I can take a pic of you don't know what I mean) and it looked awesome is his cage, WELL first thing he did when I put him back in for bedtime was dig all his food out and threw it all over the cage, I put a big brown paper bag for him in there (and YES he has lots of toys to amuse himself when he's in his cage) and he tramped down the bag and chewed/tore a HUGE chunk out of the corner of the rug.

I took it out this morning and now he has nothing but his litter box, food bowls, cardboard box, paper bag and his 3 toys in there. I looks pitiful having nothing on the bottom, it's plastic so easy on his feet but still.

He likes to test my nerves.

Pickles on the other hand LOVES his mat and slept on it all night, he's not destructive at all.

It sounds like he just enjoys destroying things! It's perfectly normal for rabbits to have fun doing something that annoys us ;-)

What about putting cardboard down? That will provide some traction and he can dig and destroy it to his little heart's content.

Also, how much out of cage time does he get? My girl gets very destructive when she doesn't get her daily time to run around - she's active and needs to get out the energy some way. Maybe more time out and about would help him settle down while he's in his cage.

I'm also not sure if he's neutered, but unfixed buns can often be more destructive and active when going through puberty and even after. Those hormones cause some extra frustration that they need to get out somehow.

He gets out for a few hrs from Mon-Thurs, about 2 hrs then on Fri, Sat and Sun he is out all day. I can't let him out more throughout the week because the 1 yr old I babysit chases and hits the bunnies so they are safer in their cages.

He is fixed, but he only got fixed 3 weeks ago.
I never thought about laying cardboard, that is a great idea and hubby is the grocery manager at the local grocery store so he can bring me home all kinds of cardboard.

Sometimes rabbits will play with new materials but once they become old, they'll stop. I'd try whatever you give him for about 2 weeks before making any harsh decisions. Sometimes they just need time to get used to the new setup.

If he is eating the carpet then that is a potential problem but if you are finding the little pieces of carpet all over the place then that is OK

What Imean is that it is not a health isssue for him if he is not eating ( swallowing) it.
You could use thick newspaper on the bottom but I am sure that he will rip it all up which is a mess but won't hurt him.

cardboard was suggested and if you can get cardboard that would even be better...howeveranything placed in the bottom will most likely be ripped up ( normal fun for a rabbit :))

Latest posts

Back