Now the proud owner of two New Zealands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargazerLily

Reaction score
My 9 yr old daughter decided she wanted to do rabbits this year for 4H, and we had already gotten one english lop to use for her project. And then we got a second english lop. At her first meeting, the advisor found out that we might also be interested in the market rabbit project (I wanted my daughter to learn all aspects), so she connected us with a family who gave us a pair of new zealand rabbits to start out with and sold us a set of cages for them too. Feeling almost a little overwhelmed with the prospect of it all, but we're ready to take on the challenge. The great news is we have a wonderful 4H group who is ready to walk us through this step by step and is happy to answer any and all questions we have.

New Zealands are awesome as are English Lops, the bunny baby we are picking up from the breeder next weekend is 1/2 Flemish Giant, 1/4 English Lop, 1/4 New Zealand. The do sell New Zealands and Flemish Giants for people who want to raise them for meat. I'm considering vegetarianism again so no meat bunnies for me. ;)

We are doing our fair for 4h in 8 days. Lots to do! Is she doing showmanship? This is my daughters first year and rabbit. She wanted a small rabbit as she is pretty small for a 10 yr old. Good Luck with your buns and where are the pics! LOL!

I think she is doing showmanship, but to be honest, I'm not sure. This is her first year doing rabbits. She did 4h last year with horses, and will be doing horses again this year. I'm just thrilled that we found a club that doesn't view us as competition, but as friends and are willing to help us out. The NZ's are both whites, and we are a little more interested in the reds, blacks, and brokens, so I may see if I can find a doe in one of those colors. Our Elops are both bucks, and I am still trying to find a doe within driving distance.

Good luck with your projects! My daughter did rabbits her last year in FFA and won Reserve. She earned more than enough money to pay for her 1st semester of college. Her regret was not doing 4H when she was younger.

New Zealand are wonderful rabbits. I have 11 of them, with two does expecting (one in 2 weeks, one just bred 3 days ago.) I love the breed and of all I have raised, only two have been attitude problems (struggled excessively when handled, would not be tamed despite efforts to do so.)

Latest posts

Back