Not using the litterbox in new cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunder

Reaction score
I recently got a new cage for my rabbit. It has a second story and ramp similar to his old cage, and I put his same litterbox underneath the second story as it was before. In his previous cage he would always use the litterbox to pee, but I noticed he hasn't in his new cage. I wiped up his "accident" with litter and put it in his litterbox so he would smell it, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should do?

I was thinking about moving it back to his old cage for a bit so he uses it and then move it into the new cage uncleaned... but I think the switching back and forth might make it more confusing?

Thanks!

Is he using a specific corner of his new cage? Rabbits will often choose one or perhaps two corners and continue to use them. Try moving the litterbox to that new 'corner'. That's probably the easiest solution :).

For now, try not to keep the litterbox toooo clean (like don't clean it every single day etc.) and keep on moving his poops and urine back into it. Keep persevering and hopefully he will get the message. :)

Jen

jcottonl02 wrote:
Is he using a specific corner of his new cage? Rabbits will often choose one or perhaps two corners and continue to use them. Try moving the litterbox to that new 'corner'. That's probably the easiest solution :).

For now, try not to keep the litterbox toooo clean (like don't clean it every single day etc.) and keep on moving his poops and urine back into it. Keep persevering and hopefully he will get the message. :)

Jen
He did that last time, and that is how I originally got him trained... but he seems to be going in the middle of this one. I will keep an eye out and see if he picks out a corner, I think he may not feel like this is "his" cage yet (he's only in there at night) so maybe it'll just take a little getting used to. Thank you for your suggestions! :)

He could also be marking his new digs. My girl will leave pee spots for a few days when she's moved into a new cage, but eventually stops.

I agree with Jen - don't keep the litter box too clean, and keep cleaning up the mistakes and he'll get the idea.

Also, how old is he and is he neutered?

Stay with the new cage, and give him time to get use to his new home. He may just be marking his territory and until things settle down he may not be comfortable with his habits.

Like Jen's suggestions, don't completely have a clean litter box, and perhaps put his food, hay and water bowls by the litter box.

Latest posts

Back