Not urinating?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geturownmunkie

Reaction score
So, as some of you know, I rescued a rabbit yesterday.
It was a domesticated animal, but got loose, and I found her.

The only problem is, I don't think she's peeing.
I don't ever see her drink water, but I give her carrots and veggies, so she is getting some water.

But I haven't seen any urine at all.
Nothing.
I don't think she has gone at all.

Is there a problem?, and if so, how can I fix it?
I really don't want her to be unhealthy.

I'm not an infirmary mod but I would offer her water from a bottle and a crock to give the choice this may get her drinking other thing you could do is put her veggies in a dish of water so they are more saturated.

If she's not drinking at all, you can put some water in a syringe, and give her water that way. Or put water in a bowl and keep track how much is in it, to see if it's going down.

Some bunnies do not drink water, they get it from their veggies. I would offer a crock and a bottle, since she may be used to drinking from ponds and puddles when she was outside.

You can get an idea of how hydrated she is by tenting the skin behind her neck and seeing if it goes back to flat again. This isn't a very good test of hydration, but it's easy to do and gives you at least an idea.

I would say 24 hrs without peeing is a concern, and if it has been that long, syringe some unsweetened Pedialyte (the rehydration drink for sick kids) into her mouth. The baby section of the store where you find this may also have feeding syringes, or eyedroppers that you can do this with.

Kudos on saving this girl--our Frida was once a "wild bunny" set "free" to live outside. She is lucky to have been found by you, rather than a dog, cat, or other predator. It may be a good idea to take her in to the vet soon, as she may be carrying internal parasites (don't worry, they usually don't jump from rabbits to people) or external parasites (fleas, mites).

Well, it's fixed now.
She did finally go.
I think she was just stressed.
But she's acting normal now.

I'm not that worried about parasites, because she's only been loose for a while.
I will get her a check-up soon, and have the vet go over everything.

I have a little crock filled with water, and she loves when i put carrots in it (she loves the mess out of some carrots).

Thanks to everyone for your help!
:rabbithop:rabbithop:rabbithop

And pictures have been taken, and when they are developed, I shall put them into my computer so everyone can see the little cutie.

Ok, she now has another problem.
Her poo.

Her poo is now soft, and sometimes comes out in a small clump, like a small, soft blackberry.

Is that because she's has too much water?

And also, in her food (its pre-packaged rabbit food) there are pieces of corns and sunflower seeds and pea halves. I hear those are bad for her, so I've been picking them out.
Is that really something to worry about?

I don't think rabbits are suppose to have corn or sunflower seeds. I know soft stools aren't good, soI hope someone come's along to help you. Or you might want to start a new thread for her soft stools......April

What you are seeing are cecotrophs. Bunnies produce cecal matter in their cecum, but they normally eat them right as they come out of the anus and we never see them. Cecals look like an elongated blackberry and are shiny when fresh, compared to fecal pellets which look like brown/black blueberries.

If your bunny is producing excess cecals, then it is often food related. A food too high in carbs/protien can cause a bunny to over produce them.

I would look into getting a better quality food. A plain pellet with no corn or extra bits in it. Then do a gradual switch over. Slowly start mixing the new food with the old so that the transition takes about a month. Switching quickly can upset her tummy even more.

--Dawn

Yup, that's right. Since she's probably over a year old, the best thing to give her is a pellet that has timothy hay as the first ingredient. Some good ones are Oxbow Bunny Basics T, one by Sweet Meadow Farms, and Zupreem's timothy pellets. Also good is Kaytee's Timothy Complete. These are all not very cheap, and can be hard to find. I personally love Oxbow, but it is hard to find and expensive.

If you're close to feed stores there are some good cheap pellets. These will mostly be alfalfa-based, which is better for younger bunnies, but if you feed them in smaller amounts with lots of timothy hay, they're fine. At the shelter we give adult buns Purina Hi-Fiber Lab Diet, which I think is a really good pellet, although not all feed stores carry it as it is primarily for lab rabbits as the name implies. Another pretty good one is Purina Rabbit Chow (green bag). It's a bit more for younger bunnies, but it can be good for picky eaters or bunnies who need to put on weight.

Seeds and corn and stuff shouldn't be in a good rabbit pellet. They can't digest these things very well, and they could be leading to the excess cecals you're seeing and the mushy poos. A better pellet (I think a 1-2week switch would be ok since she obviously hasn't been on the current pellets for a long time, since you just got her) and lots of Timothy hay will help a lot. You might also offer her fresh veggies since I assume she was eating mostly grass and dandelion leaves when she was outside.

Thanks for the help.
I am going to switch her food.

I now have some pics!
There aren't that many, as she wouldn't sit still for longer than 4 seconds.
(and the lighting is bad because my room has very bad circuiting.)

PHTO0001.jpg

PHTO0005.jpg

PHTO0006.jpg

PHTO0009.jpg

My father, having experience with dwarf rabbits, estimates that she is about 6 months - a year old.
We can't be sure until the vet appointment in a few days.

SweetSassy wrote:
She is adorable. She's so small with the big ears. Very cute.
Yes, she can fit on one arm, and her ears are sooooo long.
It is the cutest thing ever.
The only weird thing is that her ears are very thin, so one can see every vain.
I've never seen that before, and it makes her unique.

Yes, she is adorable! I agree that she's definitely under a year old, maybe even less than 6 mo. I can't imagine how anyone could abandon a cutie like her! In her case, an alfalfa-based pellet is appropriate until she's about a year old.

What a doll! Is she all better now? She looks very active and happy!

She is so happy.
She hates when I don't let her out.
She wants to explore all..... the..... time.

Now I have a food question.
I asked my dad, and he said that 1/4 of a cup of pellets is enough for a dwarf in a day.
But she eats more than that.
She is always eating.
I don't know what to do.

If she's 6 mon- to a year I would go by the directions on bag of food. By her weight.Are you giving her unlimited timothy hay too? I'm glad she's doing better. Her pic's are so cute.

When My Sassy was alive I would give her pellets, fresh Hay thein the morning with veggies. And in the evening give her more veggies. Just spread the veggies throughout the day.

Everyone is different. Whatever works for you. :biggrin2: April

tonyshuman wrote:
Yes, she is adorable! I agree that she's definitely under a year old, maybe even less than 6 mo. I can't imagine how anyone could abandon a cutie like her! In her case, an alfalfa-based pellet is appropriate until she's about a year old.
:yeahthat:

A wide array of vegetables at this point can destabilize a bunny tummy:(.

1/4 cup is appropriate for a dwarf, and certainly any bunny her size. 1/2 of the 1/4cup in AM, other half in PM. Hay should be available at all times

tonyshuman and aurora369 have provided some excellent advice ;). Keep their posts handy!

They certainly know their bunnies!

Latest posts

Back