Not Sure where to put this...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danni728

Reaction score
Okay, well my rabbit has been free roam, I was going to be gone all night last night and because my son was still up I put the bunny in a big basket witha sceen on top then when I got home I was going to let her back out. Well I woke up this morning to feed her and I seen three babies.

So I made a a little nesting box because she keeps moving around chewing on it and acting weird so I think she might be popping out one or two more. Should I put her in the box or let them be?

Any other tips let me know. I always get the pregnant animals. lol my rat had 17 a week after i got her.

But now I feel an extra special bond between us because she was pregnant and wouldn't let noone hold her but me...

Hi, maybe one of the mods will move this to the rabbitry for you

would probably leave her alone and just keep a close eye on her in case she does have an more just now make sure the babies are warm and later on that she has fed them, then will have very round tummy if she has

:DHope that helps

Hi there,

I don't have much experince with the birthing process, but there are many knowledgable people here that do. I've moved this to the Rabbitry, where you should get some great advice from some great people. :)

Can she get in the box? Has she fed them? A pic of the nestbox would help so we can give you some more information. Just make sure that they are in a dark corner and that she can get in to feed them.

Sharon

Did mom pull fur? The babies should be covered in a large pile of fur to keep warm. If there is no fur, you try gently plucking fur from her belly or use some clean cotton balls.

What did you use for a nest box? A shoe box will work in a pinch. Mom needs to be able to get in and out easily but the babies shouldn't be able to wiggle out.

You need to check the nest to make sure there are no placentas or dead babies. Mom should finish labour quickly, and if she's still straining an hour or so after birth, she may have a stuck kit. Check her privates and see if you can see a baby. Feel her abdomen for any left over babies. It would probably be a good idea to take her to a vet for confirmation that she has no babies left in her. Stuck kits could kill her if she begins to bleed or if the baby dies and goes septic.

Make sure the babies stay warm and that mom is feeding them. Their bellies should be full and round like a ping pong ball. You may not see mom feed them as she will only do it once or twice a day and she will stand over over them while they feed from below.

Good luck, and please ask us any questions you may have.

--Dawn

Can't help with any info on babies but if you need a vet and are on the west side, these people are great

http://www.animalandavianmedicalcenters.com/index.html

Dr. Palomar probably has the most experience with rabbits. Dr. Hammond also contacts in the area of rabbit rescue and rehoming if you need to place the babies at some point in the future. I use their Medina County Clinic. There fees are more reasonable than most who see rabbits.

I put a shoe box in there,, I have seen her feed them about 3 times because i keep checking on her and thier bellies are full, they are cuddled up in a corner together with her fur. She is on the other end eating and drinking water most of the day, no dead babies nothing she is acting normal again. But yes i am on the west side i am going to call the vet Tuesday im going to try tomorrow but it is a holiday so im not sure if they are open

Sounds great! The babies should start developing fur on their 4th day. Did you feel her abdomen for anymore kits? Glad to hear they are doing well.

Sharon

Yes, I felt her tummy.. Didn't feel anything. if you look on page 2 of the 1st rabbit forum I posted some pregression pics from ay one until the present...

Back