Not sure what to do.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnycat

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right section, but hopefully it's okay.

I have two bunnies. Bean I've had for almost a year, and I have a second un-named rabbit I got at the end of February hoping I could bond her and Bean.
I love Bean tons, and the other rabbit is a little shy but sweet, though I haven't really connected much with her. I wasn't aware of how much food and energy two unbonded rabbits would take. I just don't know if I can do it anymore... I don't really have the money to be able to provide the best food and hay for them as well as money saved in case of vet visits. I'm a junior in high school so college isn't very far away and I have no idea what I'm going to be able to do with my buns when it comes time for me to move out. I also want to get a job, but between that and school it won't leave much time for me to care for the rabbits. I'm constantly worrying about my rabbits, especially when I'm on vacation and they're in the hands of someone else. I can't really trust anyone except for my mom to take care of them when I'm gone.

I'm so tired all of the time, but I spend many hours a day in the room with my rabbits to make sure they both get at least three hours to run around.

I'm stuck and torn and I don't know what to do. I've considered rehoming, but I feel like I could only bring myself to do it if someone from RO was willing to take them. I simply don't trust other people...
Any advice is very appreciated.

IMHO, the best bet for you is to rehome your bunny. Start now and really check out the people who will take these bunnies.

You shouldn't be so overwhelmed all the time and constantly worrying. It's not fair to you as well to be this way.

I know you love your bunnies. But school is very important, along with one day going to college. Later in life, if you want to enjoy the love of bunnies, than do it.

Maybe someone from RO will ask about them. Put pics up and ask for help.

Heck, maybe Fraggles mom will take them and it will stop the bun-napping plan.

But you really need to think of you and the buns. Don't feel like you failed. You are not failing. Your bunnies will find someone who will love and take care of them now and you can really put your energy into your schooling.

Wishing you the best!

K:)

Sometimes things don't work out, so you have to make adjustments. You can find good people to take them, though it won't be easy. This summer you'll have more time, I'd imagine. Look online at the forms various rescue groups use so you know what kinds of things to find out about potential adopters. You can find the groups from petfinder.com for example.

Thanks so much for the replies. It's defintely helped me think it all through. I agree that the best decision in the long run would be to rehome my buns, but I can take time to make sure they go somewhere that's good for them. Thank you both again :)
P.S. I'm not so sure Fraggles would take kindly to two newcomers in her domain hehe ;)
Qtip, I'm in Houston, about 2 hours away from Austin. If you are perhaps interested or know someone interested please let me know as I'm sure something could be worked out

Bunnies are Happy to be with people who love them. That's all you need to think about when you rehome them!
Maybe one day you will come to Australia and you can meet my Bunnies!
Kim

I'm in Del Rio which is several hours away (although I've adopted rabbits from Houston before - and driven as far as Beaumont too to get my Zeus from a rescue in Louisiana).

What about rehoming the new girl and enjoying Bean until closer to when you go to college if they're not bonded yet.

That might be another option. I must say - I ADORE Bean (I saw your rescue me thread) but I couldn't see your other bunny very well - then again - my eyes are blurry tonight....don't have my glasses on!

Sadly I agree. Having graduated a few years back and having taken a bun through 2 years or so of college and into working life I would like to say. Going off to college is a BIG lifestyle changer. Many things will change and you may find yourself becoming a bit more transient, which will be made VERY difficult with animals. Moving out during school vacations, semester break, summer break, switching dorms, are all there if you live on campus, not to mention pets may be not allowed. Even if you get an apartment, you will need to find a pet friendly one, or one where you can hide (not generally a good idea) a pet.
That isn't to be negative, just some of the issues I had to deal with during college. I only got a bun after I lived in an apartment for awhile and knew I could have a pet. Once you do settle though you will probably find that you can have a bun again.

Enjoy the time you have and spend some finding a good home. You can get another bun later if you find yourself in a position for one.

Good luck and enjoy college. Even though it is full of stress and bad decisions it really can be a very great time.

Peg - I've considered that option as well. I'm okay with keeping Bean for a while until I can find a home as I can handle his costs and care; I wasn't aware of how much food two rabbits go through o.o
But thank you, Bean is such a sweet boy. :) I'm going to miss him terribly whenever I do have to give him up... but if you are ever interested in taking him, let me know and I'm sure we could try to meet somewhere.

Dulmit - Yeah, I've just been thinking about all of the things you said and that's why I figured it would be hard if not impossible to take them with me :/ College is a huge hassle and life changer. Thanks so much for your words :)

Latest posts

Back