Not sure if he really is a American Sable...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublebunnylove

Reaction score
This is Bentley. He is 2 and my boyfriend and i got him from a pet store whos family wanted him as a breeder bunny but he was just not interested. Then Will and i came along and we asked what type he was and we were told just flat out dwarf. then after looking and reading many breeds of bunnies i have come across that he has all most all the same traits as an american sable. I wanted to ask the community if anyone knew if he was one or not.
576283_451230728236187_1969076619_n.jpg

it would be awesome if anyone could help!:biggrin:

Welcome to RO!

Congratulations on your new bunny. I see his name is Abbi. I think he's got an absolutely stunning face. I love shaded rabbits.

Can I ask some questions before I make my guess?

How old is Abbi? Since he was supposed to breed, he must be 6-7 months. Male dwarfs can start breeding when their testicles drop.

How much does Abbi weigh? Dwarfs usually are around 2-5, 6 pounds, and will be at mature weight around one year old.

He is a lovely rabbit, whatever breed he is.

K:)

ZRabbits wrote:
Welcome to RO!

Congratulations on your new bunny.  I see his name is Abbi.  I think he's got an absolutely stunning face.  I love shaded rabbits. 

How old is Abbi?  Since he was supposed to breed, he must be 6-7 months.  Male dwarfs can start breeding when their testicles drop. 

How much does Abbi weigh?  Dwarfs usually are around 2-5, 6 pounds, and will be at mature weight around one year old.  

Hello! and its a bit funny Abbi is my name his is bentley. And he is actually at the least 2 years old and he weighs about 8 and half pounds and he is not fixed.

doublebunnylove wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:
Welcome to RO!

Congratulations on your new bunny. I see his name is Abbi. I think he's got an absolutely stunning face. I love shaded rabbits.

How old is Abbi? Since he was supposed to breed, he must be 6-7 months. Male dwarfs can start breeding when their testicles drop.

How much does Abbi weigh? Dwarfs usually are around 2-5, 6 pounds, and will be at mature weight around one year old.

Hello! and its a bit funny Abbi is my name his is bentley. And he is actually at the least 2 years old and he weighs about 8 and half pounds and he is not fixed.
Please forgive my foopah. Thank you for giggling.

Bentley definitely isn't a dwarf. 8 pounds is in the range of an American Sable. Bentley's coloring is a little lighter than the pictures I saw of a American Sable, but cameras can be deceiving with fur colors. What I saw, were rabbits with a darker brown on the body. But Bently definitely has the darker markings on his face and ears.

I love Sables. I have a Siamese Sable Netherland Dwarf myself who I call Bunny Bear. His real name is Willard.

Maybe some of the breeders, who really know medium size breeds can really tell you. I think he's lovely.

My only suggestion is to find a rabbit savvy Vet.

Oh BTW,

Did the breeder spend time with him? I would think not since he ended up in a pet store because he wouldn't breed. Not all breeders are like that, but some are. If he has been handled, I think it would be a good thing to get him neutered.

Again sorry about the names. Hope to hear more about your Bentley.

Bentley is light in the photo and he looks short in it but he has quite a big butt lol.
Thats a adorable name for your bunny! Willard :D

No the breeder had a LOT of bunnies and seemed to spend most of their time in the office of the other pet store he owned. But Bentley is very well mannered and very proper always with good posture and is actually great with young children (he doesnt get startled to easliy) I am glad that I got such a down to earth rabbit unlike my little hyper and crazy netherland dwarf doe.

doublebunnylove wrote:
Bentley is light in the photo and he looks short in it but he has quite a big butt lol.
Thats a adorable name for your bunny! Willard :D

No the breeder had a LOT of bunnies and seemed to spend most of their time in the office of the other pet store he owned. But Bentley is very well mannered and very proper always with good posture and is actually great with young children (he doesnt get startled to easliy) I am glad that I got such a down to earth rabbit unlike my little hyper and crazy netherland dwarf doe.
Good looking and well mannered. Nice to have a well mannered bunny. Have 4 myself. But have to admit love my hyper, crazy lion head doe Luna. She makes life interesting and gives me a whole lot of laughs.

Color for an American Sable is described as rich sepia brown on all points and to fade into a paler shade on the flanks, underside of the tail and the belly. I too have also seen much darker rabbits when I see an american sable and they are more on the rare side at least in my parts.

Your buns color looks like a sable point. At 8lbs he is not a netherland dwarf. If the breeder owns a pet store it is HIGHLY likely that your bun is just a mix and it would be very hard to specify which breed he is based on his looks.

Beautiful bunn, but bears absolutely no resemblance to the American Sable breed.

woahlookitsme wrote:
Color for an American Sable is described as rich sepia brown on all points and to fade into a paler shade on the flanks, underside of the tail and the belly. I too have also seen much darker rabbits when I see an american sable and they are more on the rare side at least in my parts.

Your buns color looks like a sable point. At 8lbs he is not a netherland dwarf. If the breeder owns a pet store it is HIGHLY likely that your bun is just a mix and it would be very hard to specify which breed he is based on his looks.

Thank you very much and yes i do think now he must be a sable point mix of some sort.

:biggrin:

No Problem
sable point is only a color as far as I know. Different breeds come in this color so it could come from anywhere.

ZRabbits wrote:
pamnock wrote:
Beautiful bunn, but bears absolutely no resemblance to the American Sable breed.

Why? 

Just curious

The head and ears resemble more of a dwarf type than the commercial typed American Sable. Sable point would also be a very unusual color for the American Sable, which has been crossed with Californians. Seals, Cals, and Sable are the most common color in the breed (with only Sable being showable.) A more accurate weight on the rabbit would be helpful - he doesn't appear to be 8 1/2 lbs.

pamnock wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:
pamnock wrote:

Why?

Just curious

The head and ears resemble more of a dwarf type than the commercial typed American Sable. Sable point would also be a very unusual color for the American Sable, which has been crossed with Californians. Seals, Cals, and Sable are the most common color in the breed (with only Sable being showable.) A more accurate weight on the rabbit would be helpful - he doesn't appear to be 8 1/2 lbs.

Thanks Pam. Appreciate the explanation.

The head and ears resemble more of a dwarf type than the commercial typed American Sable. Sable point would also be a very unusual color for the American Sable, which has been crossed with Californians. Seals, Cals, and Sable are the most common color in the breed (with only Sable being showable.) A more accurate weight on the rabbit would be helpful - he doesn't appear to be 8 1/2 lbs.[/quote]

heis actually just about 7 bls even from what i can tell on the scale ( he doesn't like being weighed ) i think he is senestive about his weight he does have quite a bit of muscle though

Latest posts

Back