Not sure how I feel, but... got a new bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdellin

Reaction score
Hey there. I just posted in the bridge forum that my Cali left me on Wednesday. I love her and I miss her. She was a good bunny.

I hope you all don't think I'm a bad mommy, but I went to the shelter (actually three of them) and adopted another bunny. I believe my higher power led me to him. I felt so bad that Cali left me and I thought that since I have a lot of love to give, a needy bunny should have that.

I did some research online and looked at some of the bunnies up for adoption. Then I went to the Fairfield shelter, they had a couple bunnies, but no one fell in love with me. Then I went to the Napa shelter. I wanted to look at Molly, a bunny who had been there since June of '07. I so wanted to give her a home, but she was not friendly at all. She seemed almost wild. Didn't connect with any of the other bunnies there. Then I went to the Rohnert Park shelter. They had posted lots of bunny pics, including three lops, which was kind of what I wanted. Two were on hold... good for them. The last one, Snickers (now Gizmo) just stole my heart. When I held him I knew we were right for each other. I agreed to adopt him and I'm glad I did because when I was filling out the paperwork and asking questions, I learned he had been transfered from another shelter. Meaning he'd been up for adoptin for a while and no one seened to want him.

The shelter employees were so happy for him because he's been waiting a while, so I think that's why I was led to him. He needed me and I needed him. He's very friendly, very soft, chubby and docile. He's about 5 1/2 pounds and he had good health according to the shelter vet.

Maybe someone can comment on this for me, but I want to put something in the bottom of his cage to avoid him standing on the grate all the time. I am afraid to use carpet now, I have a new piece in there temporarily, but I don't want him to chew it like Cali did. What do you all use for this purpose? I could use plywood, or I have some really hard particle board, it's like 1/2" thick, but I'm afraid about the glue in it maybe being poisonous. Please suggest and I will go buy whatever I need.

One more thing, I read online that you can give toilet paper rolls for chewies, but I had noticed cali chewing on them before and found no paper shreds, so I'm thinking she was eating them. Is this normal? For now, I'm not giving those either to the new bunny.

Will post pics in pic forum.

Congratulations on your new addition! I'm so happy that you were able to open your heart and home to another bunny.

As far as covering the wire, grass mats work great for this purpose. They cover the wire, are edible, and are inexpensively replaced when they get too chewed up.

Hi, I'm sorry about Cali, I just read your blog about her.:bunnyangel2:

Congratulations on your new "Baby" I look forward to seeing many pictures of him. Love his new name to.

I use this mat in Wilbur & Jackie's cage on the bottom level over the plywood. I purchased it at Walmart.

DSC04466.jpg

I use the smaller one on the top level so that's what they jump on.. Sorry for the messy cage, honestly they are worse than children. LOL I bought them from Busy Bunny in California. I wish you could buy them in stores as the shipping and duties gets ridiculous from the States:USA: to Canada:Canada small:.

DSC04467.jpg

Hope this helps.

Susan:bunnydance:

Well first off congrats on your new bun.I have a cat litterbox full of hay so that my rabbits can get off of the wire, it is not the litterbox that they wee/poo in. Or I have used newspaper or cardboard in half of the cage. My rabbits chew/eat the toilet paper tubes and I have never had any problems nor have I heard of a rabbit getting sick from it. Hope this helps. Good luck with your new bun.

~Hayley

Thanks for the idea. I like the grass mats. Will look for some today.

What about the plywood? Isn't it pine? Is it okay to use? I don't use it in the water dragon cage because it's toxic to him, and I use aspen bedding in the bunny litterbox instead of pine because I read that pine dust can cause respiratory problems, but assuming the plywood doesn't create dust, it's okay to use?????

Hayley411 wrote:
Well first off congrats on your new bun.I have a cat litterbox full of hay so that my rabbits can get off of the wire, it is not the litterbox that they wee/poo in. Or I have used newspaper or cardboard in half of the cage. My rabbits chew/eat the toilet paper tubes and I have never had any problems nor have I heard of a rabbit getting sick from it. Hope this helps. Good luck with your new bun.

~Hayley
That's good to know. I thought that the tp tolls or cardboard would be digestible. Thanks for the info.

sdellin wrote:
Thanks for the idea. I like the grass mats. Will look for some today.

What about the plywood? Isn't it pine? Is it okay to use? I don't use it in the water dragon cage because it's toxic to him, and I use aspen bedding in the bunny litterbox instead of pine because I read that pine dust can cause respiratory problems, but assuming the plywood doesn't create dust, it's okay to use?????
The only problem I can see with plywood is that it would soak up urine and be difficult to clean. Grass mats could always be rinsed out and dried if your bunny urinated on them.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Another idea I just had is to use ceramic tiles. I just tiled a 4x4 pen with tile for $15. (BTW...for anyone interested, nine 16" tiles fit perfectly in a 4x4 exercise pen)
Now why didn't I think of that? That's a good idea.

I have always said that the best way to honor the bunny you lost is to provide a forever home to a new bunny that needs you.

It's not replacing her, it's expanding on the love you have for her.

Congrats!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I have always said that the best way to honor the bunny you lost is to provide a forever home to a new bunny that needs you.

It's not replacing her, it's expanding on the love you have for her.

Congrats!
Thanks! I needed that (I'm such a big baby!)

Latest posts

Back