Not peeing properly!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitAsh

Reaction score
I was make a fur changes to Ash's hutch when I noticed that he had small puddles of brown substances. He was sitting in a corner; really still, and I could see his body tensing up. He made a weird little noise as he relaxed himself. I moved him aside and there was only a small puddle of yellow pee.
He looked like it was very hard for him to manage to get out a small little bit.

I don't know if this is a bad thing or not, but I'm taking him to the vet to get a check up.
Any ideas why this might be happening? Or to prevent it from happening?

Rabbits are oddly prone to getting stones and 'sludge', which is an excess of buildup of calcium in the urinary bladder. Some rabbits (genetically) are even more prone to it than others. Generally, obesity, alfalfa pellets/hay, and too many high calcium veggies (e.g. many of the dark greens such as spinach, kale, etc.), and lack of fresh water can increase the risk of urinary issues.

Rabbits are oddly prone to getting stones and 'sludge', which is an excess of buildup of calcium in the urinary bladder. Some rabbits (genetically) are even more prone to it than others. Generally, obesity, alfalfa pellets/hay, and too many high calcium veggies (e.g. many of the dark greens such as spinach, kale, etc.), and lack of fresh water can increase the risk of urinary issues.

Thanks, I will make sure to slow down the pellets and veggies just for a while. Just to see if he does any better.

You will need to get him to a rabbit savvy vet right away as he could have a bladder infection, bladder sludge/stones, or both, and you will want to get it treated asap before he stops eating and goes into GI stasis as well. It isn't something that is going to be corrected with just diet changes at this point. He will likely need to be put on antibiotics, pain meds, and if xrays determine he has sludge build up in his bladder then he may need his bladder flushed. Diet changes are just to try and prevent it from reoccurring, not to clear up sludge once it's already happened.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Cystitis_Ele.htm

Agree with JBun. Most vets agree it's a metabolic problem, not a dietary one. Sometimes bunnies can pass it with no assistance, but if your bunny is shifting around, posturing oddly, and passing small amounts of urine, please don't delay to getting him to the vet. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that must be, like trying to pee beach sand!

Whenever I tell my parents this stuff, they laugh. They basically underestimate the situation. They are usually paying for check ups.
Ash is only 12 months old. He hasn't had one check up yet. And I can't get my parents to schedule anything soon enough. They said they have to wait one week until we can take him. And I'm in fear that he will get very ill.

aww, I feel ya. My parents were negligent with our small pets, I think that's one reason I'm so hyper-aware of any potential health problem - to the point of neurosis.

Maybe just a little bit of non-confrontational information, like the need to neuter your little fellow. A de-sexed bunny will be much less destructive (spraying, chewing, overall aggression). Tooth issues that are spotted early will be easy to deal with, as opposed to expensive for your parents, and very painful for Ash.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to add to your stress. Just make sure he's well hydrated until the vet appt. I've found it's literally impossible to "trick" a rabbit to drink, but an extra romaine leaf or two couldn't hurt!

Latest posts

Back