Not interested in hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinbumpkin

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had a problem with my rabbit barely eating hay. At the time I was feeding her 2 tablespoon pellets daily. I decreased it to 1 tablespoon and that helped a lot. She started eating a LOT of hay and every night I would give her 3 big handfuls and in the morning it would be completely gone.

For the past 2 days, her hay consumption has gone way down. She's eating all her other food, but she's being super picky with her hay. She is eating some hay, just nowhere near as much as she was before. I thought that maybe she didnt want to eat anymore from this bag so today I went and bought a new one. She refuses to eat any of it (same brand) and will only eat the old bag. When I give her hay she sniffs it, maybe eats a few pieces, then turns her nose up at it. Usually she will eat it all in one sitting (I have to give her small handfuls at a time or she doesn't eat it) then beg for more.

At first I was starting to think she had some dental issues, but the weird thing is, if I hand feed the hay to her or stuff it in a toilet paper roll, she will eat it. If I just lay it in a hay feeder or her pen, she barely eats any. When she eats she doesn't act like it's causing her any pain at all.

Another thing, she always wakes up from her nap at 4:30 to come out of her pen and play. This evening she didnt come out of her hideout at the usual time. I opened her pen and lured her out with a pellet, she ran around for 10 minutes, ate some hay I had laying out, then went back into her hideout. She never does this. She's still eating and acting normally otherwise and I just gave her some gas medicine to see if that would help.

She's pooping normally other than just one small poop I found yesterday, she gets 1.5 cups of veggies a day and 1 tablespoon pellets. Should I reduce the pellets again? A few days ago I introduced parsley to her. It's been around 3 days and I havent given her any more. Could the parsley have caused this? Everytime I fed it to her I watched her and she never seemed to get gas or anything.

What do you all think is the problem? I'm really worried she's going into stasis. Her vet is over an hour away and it's very expensive or I would just take her to be checked. But of course if she needs to go I will take her. I'm just not sure yet. She's had a few bouts of gas when shedding and everytime she got better with simethicone but shes not shedding much right now.

A few weeks ago I had a problem with my rabbit barely eating hay. At the time I was feeding her 2 tablespoon pellets daily. I decreased it to 1 tablespoon and that helped a lot. She started eating a LOT of hay and every night I would give her 3 big handfuls and in the morning it would be completely gone.

For the past 2 days, her hay consumption has gone way down. She's eating all her other food, but she's being super picky with her hay. She is eating some hay, just nowhere near as much as she was before. I thought that maybe she didnt want to eat anymore from this bag so today I went and bought a new one. She refuses to eat any of it (same brand) and will only eat the old bag. When I give her hay she sniffs it, maybe eats a few pieces, then turns her nose up at it. Usually she will eat it all in one sitting (I have to give her small handfuls at a time or she doesn't eat it) then beg for more.

At first I was starting to think she had some dental issues, but the weird thing is, if I hand feed the hay to her or stuff it in a toilet paper roll, she will eat it. If I just lay it in a hay feeder or her pen, she barely eats any. When she eats she doesn't act like it's causing her any pain at all.

Another thing, she always wakes up from her nap at 4:30 to come out of her pen and play. This evening she didnt come out of her hideout at the usual time. I opened her pen and lured her out with a pellet, she ran around for 10 minutes, ate some hay I had laying out, then went back into her hideout. She never does this. She's still eating and acting normally otherwise and I just gave her some gas medicine to see if that would help.

She's pooping normally other than just one small poop I found yesterday, she gets 1.5 cups of veggies a day and 1 tablespoon pellets. Should I reduce the pellets again? A few days ago I introduced parsley to her. It's been around 3 days and I havent given her any more. Could the parsley have caused this? Everytime I fed it to her I watched her and she never seemed to get gas or anything.

What do you all think is the problem? I'm really worried she's going into stasis. Her vet is over an hour away and it's very expensive or I would just take her to be checked. But of course if she needs to go I will take her. I'm just not sure yet. She's had a few bouts of gas when shedding and everytime she got better with simethicone but shes not shedding much right now.
I think she was just trying to worry me, she just ate a big pile of hay 🙄 As you can tell I worry way too much about her haha. She got stasis earlier this year and she's my first rabbit so I get very nervous when she does anything like this 😮‍💨

Latest posts

Back