Not Impressed.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhoffman

Reaction score
Our rabbits are in hutches in our backyard as some of you already know. It I a raised hutch, in our fenced backyard... the hutch also has a separate fence around it (inside our fenced yard). Each door to the hutches are "locked" so the doors can not be easily pushed open by the rabbits or pulled by animals. Well, I went outside Yesterday morning, did my usual, feed, water, pet, play , let rabbits run around. Once I had all that done, I had them all back in their hutches and all doors locked again. We have those clip thingies on them.. that some peopleuse on their key chains. I don't know the exact name for them. Anyways, we went out yesterday afternoon for a few hours. Came home to the gate to the yard wide open, the gate to the rabbit area wide open and a door to one of my rabbit hutches open.. WITH my sons friend standing there looking in. One rabbit was missing!! I searched for him everywhere.. No sign of him. Next thing I knew the neighbour called me over, my rbbit was in her garden. Thankfully. Luckily it was a well socialized rabbit of mine.. and not one of the new ones I got. I suppose its time for pad locks on the hutch doors too now.

Oh my gosh. That is a nightmare! Good thing you found the bunny. So it was the friend who let him out?

Yep, it was him who let him out. He is 8 years old, so old enough to know better. We have ALWAYS stressed to our kids and anyone who comes to our house, NEVER open rabbit hutches unless I am with them. Copper is a very social rabbit. Quite often we can let him run around the full yard when we are outside without him leaving. When we have company, he will hop over and plop himself on a total strangers feet. The neighbour was surprised to have help weeding the garden though haha.

But yes, I was quite disappointed, and have now found some pad locks to put on the hutch doors. Really sucks it has to be like that though.

You might want to put locks on your gates as well. It is concerning that a kid come into 2 yards and opened the rabbit cages. Talking with his parents is good as well. Locking the cages will keep people from opening them, but they really should not be coming onto your property anyway. Even if it is a friend of your son, he shoud not be coming in your yard without your permission.

That's terrifying, no respect for other people's property or the well-being of their animals. Definitely old enough to know better in my opinion. I often worry about Bandit out in his hutch because the hutch can be seen from the front when you look down the side of the house, it does worry me.

Well, everyone here KNOWS that we do not like anyone in the backyard without myself or hubby here. Our rabbits are pretty tame and friendly BUT we always have one or two that are new and usually need to be socialized. We have two right now as well. We put padlocks on all gates and hutch doors now. kind of a pain in the butt, but I suppose I would rather that than have missing rabbits.

Thanks for letting me vent :)

Always hate the feeling of living in a Gulag, but how else to keep everyone safe? I've always said that locks "are to keep honest people honest". I'd be really miffed, to the point that I'd be questioning the "friends" parents--sound like they have neglected to explain boundaries to him or he's got the makings of a "socio-path" and just doesn't care or have any empathy.

Well, I don't think an 8-y-o kid is a sociopath for not "remembering" what he's supposed to do when faced with an opportunity to do something "fun". If they had the restraint and self-control of an adult, they'd be adults, not little kids. 8 year olds don't have enough skills to cross a road by themselves, I'm sure they aren't developed enough to not to do stupid things like this. I'd be asking where his adult supervision was and why he was marauding about on his own so as to be able to do this, rather than baying for his blood. No doubt he did the wrong thing, but he's only a little kid.....

Always hate the feeling of living in a Gulag, but how else to keep everyone safe? I've always said that locks "are to keep honest people honest". I'd be really miffed, to the point that I'd be questioning the "friends" parents--sound like they have neglected to explain boundaries to him or he's got the makings of a "socio-path" and just doesn't care or have any empathy.

I agree entirely, though I don't know if he has quite reached sociopath level yet! :biggrin2: He definitely needs a talking to though.

There is no reason whatsoever for an eight year old to wander onto someone's property and let their animals loose. They should know better by that age if their parents have taught them properly. At that age I would NEVER have done such a thing because my father would have beat the crap out of me for something like that. There was only one time when I was about four (I was supervised; my dad was doing yard work) that I was wandering around someone's front yard because they had cool landscaping and I liked to play there. My dad called me back and asked me if that was my yard. I said no. He told me that he had better not see me over there again or I would get smacked because it was wrong to go onto other people's property without permission. I never went into someone's yard without asking again. :eek:

Kids don't necessarily understand things like property by themselves; their parents need to teach them from a young age. I agree with everyone else that has mentioned having a talk with his parents. A lock to the gate of your yard is one thing, but having to lock down everything in your backyard because someone's kid doesn't get that the animals are not his to let out is ridiculous.

Not to mention that things like this make you paranoid. I'm sorry that you had to deal with it! :)

Ugh.. Talking to the parents did NOTHING!! Like usual. after this incident, his brother popped holes in my sons tires! :( For some odd reason my son and the other brother decided to Trade bikes for a few minutes, and the boy took one of those gas flags out of the road, stuck it in both tires and threw the bike on the ground. This is a family where the parents don't watch the kids..literally!! The boys (ages 6 and 8) will show up at our place at 8am knocking on the door.. I tell them not to come back until at least 10am.. when I look out my window 20 minutes later, they are sitting on the front lawn!! They could be running around town for hours without parents checking on them. Im not even exaggerating I wish I was!! It isn't the kids' fault at all.. well yes they should know better.. BUT the parents should definitely be teaching them right from wrong AND keeping an eye on their kids. My son is also 8 years old and he knows better than to go on someone else's property without permission or being invited.

The main thing is, is all bunnies are safe.

Oh my gosh, I just had déjà vu. I have had someone tell me that before, except the kids were actually younger! But did the same thing, run around the trailer park, go to this guys house and knock on their door at 6 am wanting little Johnny and the Jean to come play! Ha. And the guy always told the kids not to come back until at least 9 or so but they would wait around outside and make all kinds of noise so nobody got sleep. I would either scare them off with my dog barking when they knock. Or put a shock in the doorbell so it'll shock em hahahahaha. Or tell them that my kid moved away...lol, then they see him in 3 hours lol

I think that's very sad, that those young kids are sent out on their own like that. No wonder that lad didn't have a clue about boundaries, if that's the sort of "attention and supervision" they get at home.

I do somewhat feel sorry for the kids, because they don't get much attention at home. They do always come at the worst times as well.. 8am, 12pm and 5pm. Usually at a meal time. When they show up at those times I send them home and tell them not to come back until my kid calls.. they just hang out front. I don't thin it would be so bad, if they didn't ruin things all the time or didn't have such bad attitudes. They talk back A LOT!

The joys of living in a small town. I think that's what it is... is we live in a small town,so the parents think it is safe for their kids to be out and about all the time without supervision. My son who is 8, does get to go for bike rides "around the block" by himself BUT he must check in after each round. The other two, 5 and 6.. are definitely not aloud to go without myself or my husband.

Back