Not eating....need opinions..... Randy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not going to touch the math becauseI am so bad at it :?butI think Claire is right ; i will look up toxicity but i really doubt this is going to hurt the rabbit

in terms of how many days to give it ???

if you looked at antiparasitics on this dosage calculator you will find Safeguard. Safe guard is fenbendazole
thestrength is 20 mg/ ml which is much weaker than the panacur paste you have and if you put in the weight of the rabbit it will give you a median dosage and does say to give it for 5 days.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

if you were treating for e-cuniculi you would be giving for at least 28 days and Randy goes up to 60 days

I don't know how one can figure out a dose without having the weight of the rabbit?
the drug dose calculator can only do it that way .

I pmd Randy but don't have a clue when he will get it ...

angieluv wrote:
I am not going to touch the math becauseI am so bad at it :?butI think Claire is right ; i will look up toxicity but i really doubt this is going to hurt the rabbit

in terms of how many days to give it ???

if you looked at antiparasitics on this dosage calculator you will find Safeguard. Safe guard is fenbendazole
thestrength is 20 mg/ ml which is much weaker than the panacur paste you haveReally? Oh no, because I got my dosing for fenbendazole and that's what I gave him. I didn't know the panacur was not the same strength. I assumed it would be weaker and not stronger since it is a paste. Iputhis weight as 1.165 lb and it told me 10.5 mg. I figured that to beclosest to .4mL. I hope I didn't give him too strong of a dose!and if you put in the weight of the rabbit it will give you a median dosage and does say to give it for 5 days.
How would you calculate it then for the panacur that I have? Did I overtreat him by alot?
I can definitely do the five days. On the up side he has not seemed to have any adverse reaction to the Panacur that I gave him a few hours ago. I'm crossing my fingers I didn't overdo it.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

if you were treating for e-cuniculi you would be giving for at least 28 days and Randy goes up to 60 days

I don't know how one can figure out a dose without having the weight of the rabbit?
the drug dose calculator can only do it that way .

I pmd Randy but don't have a clue when he will get it ...

Ok Randy got back to me and this is what he said

for parasites it is fenbendazole 20 mg per kg (1 kg=2.2 lbs) for 7 days for 3-d rounds

Now I just emailed him back re. what 3-d rounds means and haven't heard back yet

I think you gave him a little too much but what does he weigh??
also don't freak out as this may still be Ok the drug is fairly safe...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Rx_Info_Sheets/rx_fenbendazole.pdf

Yes, it has a wide safety margin.

I'm still not sure what the correct dose would be though. 10.5 mg is the right dose for a 1.165 lb (0.53kg) rabbit. Now I assumed the Panacur paste is 10g/100mL, because when a medicine says "x%" it usually means "x g per 100mL".This is one of the conventions of biology/pharmacy--that % means g/100mL. If the Panacur says it is 10% and doesn't say anything else after that, it is probably 10g/100mL. If it says "10% (w/w)" or something else, the percentage they give may be calculated another way. It can be calculated volume to volume, weight to weight, really anything. If the %age isn't labeled as one of these things though, it is probably g/100mL.

I would assume that an overdose would require you to give at least 10x the recommended dose, and at most you gave 4x.

I don't know what Randy means by "3-d rounds". Maybe you're supposed to give 3 rounds of it, but then how long do you wait between rounds? Or maybe you wait 3 days before starting it up again?

Randy said 3-4 rounds ( he istexting on a phone) but didn't specify the days in between so whatI would do is wait maybe several weeks or a month and then do it over .

I may skip the doses for several days of panacur and maybe start it again on the 3rd day since you gave a little too much

What do you think Claire?
How's the rabbit murph?

I think a week between doses would be fine. I'd just continue the normal dosing--do 0.1mL from now on. He got a lot today, but it should be out of his system within 24 hours.

In pigs, it reaches max concentration after 4 hrs and is eliminated in the body after about 15 hours.
http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/ajvr.2000.61.573

Because the dosing instructions are every 24 hours, we can kind of assume that after 24 hours the concentration left in the body is pretty low. I'd just carry on the dosing like the instructions say. Most of the large dose will be eliminated by tomorrow.

Ok, the box says "10% (100 mg/g)". I gave .4 mL....which if I needed to give .1 I really tried to kill the parasites all in one dosage. I hope the "he can't overdose" is right.

He's kind of lethargic now, but this afternoon is better than yesterday afternoon. It seems like mornings are his time to shine. He's just sleepy in the afternoons. He's not grinding his teeth, but he still has the runs.

I sub q'd him and just gave him his Flagyl 2nd dosing for the day. I'm going to leave him be for a few hours so he can get some rest. Usually he looks better later in the early evening hours. He wasn't too interested in the pedialyte/Benebac mixture this time so I didn't push it since he had the sub q fluids in him.

That confuses me still, because if it's 10% (100mg/g) you have to give 0.1 g of the stuff, and who has a scale to measure out that kind of thing? I doubt the paste is 1g/mL, because water is 1g/mL and pastes are usually a lot heavier/denser than water. :?

I have a tube of the stuff thatI never used ; 1 tube can deworm a horse of 1100lbs so you are working with really small amounts with a rabbit.
Not that is very helpful only that it does say 25 gm paste10%

100mg /g
maybeI didn't put it the 25 gm paste 10%???
it would be easier to get safeguard for goats

I think the 25g thing means that the entire tube contains 25g of paste.

100mg/g is 10% by weight (could be written as 10% (w/w)).

But without knowing how dense the paste is (g/mL) it will be hard to dose because you'd have to use a scale instead of a syringe. It's usually a lot easier to measure liquids/pastes by volume than by mass.

Maybe this is one of those questions I should take into our Chem teacher at school tomorrow. I can hit up the Science department and the Math department....between the two of them maybe they can come up with an answer. I know it has confused me, but I'm by far no math-goddess. I always proclaim to be using the opposite side of my brain and letting the math part decay from a lack of use.

I also think the 25 gram part just tells you what the tube holds. I ignored that part of the mathematical equation.

Oh, and I bought this darn horse stuff because they were all out of the goat stuff. Go figure. Their shelves in the medical section were pretty bare. I don't know if there's an epidemic going around the farming community's livestock, but our TSC's shelves looked like Mother Hubbard's.

Sad news to report. Within a two hour span Bentley went downhill fast. His little stomach ended up rather distended and he lost his balance. I had my husband put him out of his misery as I didn't think he should suffer any longer.

Binkey free Bentley. Only here a short time, but you stamped yourself on my heart. :tears2:

I am really really sorry !!!!!:(:bigtears:

You both put up a really good fight :(

You really tried murph.... so give yourself credit for doing as much as possible

Binky free little Bentley :tears2:

:hug:Maureen

I am so sorry. You really did everything you could for him. I'm sorry that it didn't work out, but you did your best. Binky free, Bentley.
:pray:

Well, I haven't gotten the results back from the lab yet to know 100% what Bentley was fighting, but I do know he tested as having some cocci. I vanodined the cage and box he shared with Chester, but I was wondering if I should maybe give Chester some of the panacur. He's showing zero symptoms, but they shared a home for about two to three weeks before Bentley got ill.

I'm also suspicious becausea rabbit I lost early in September (who the drugs were for that I was giving Bentley) also used this same cage. I vanodined it heavily after he died, but perhaps I didn't get it all. I'm going to take the wooden box off and have my husband build a new one to replace it and I've already soaked it and the wire part of the cage with vanodine. Anything else you can think of that I should do or treat Chester with so that I can ensure his safety?

I do have other bunnies as I breed and show, so if it's something that can be airborne that is also a concern. There is a divider between that cage and the buck that is next to it and these two bunnies did not come intophysical contact withany of the others, but I want to play it safe.Any thoughts on preventative measures?

Back