Not eating, another one of Pepsi's phases..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Ok, well now I'm quite worried. Over the last 3 days or so, Pepsi's appetite has been decreasing to the point she won't touch anything today.. no apple, nooats, no veggies, no pellets. It starts withher decreasing the amount of pellets and eating more hay,then she starts to just not eat. I'll try again this evening to see if she takes anything, but if she doesn't time for bunny burito and simethcone! (I would do it earlier, but she stresses so easily).

Why is she doing this? On average, she does it maybe once every 2 months.. most of the time she still eats if I hold something for her but only 3-4 it's been as bad as she won't take anything. She gets fed unlimited timothy hay, limited alfalfa pellets, atleast 4-5 different veggies a night (Maybe 1.5cups worth), oats and fruit as treats.

There's still poops but their small and very firm. She's still drinking andpooping and peeing, I just need to get her eating!

If I do have toput her in the bunny burito, might as well clip her nails whenI syringe her the oval. I hope she just has gas.

Has she been checked for tooth issues? Pipp's molar spurs can present like that.

Until this time around, they never went away on their own (and I'm sure they still haven't), but something's made them feel better. Maybe she had a sore on her tongue that had a chance to heal while it wasn't seeing much action.

It doesn't sound like gas, unless she's continuing to eat something that's giving her progressively more gas. Itusually comes on more suddenly in my experience and mine are visibly uncomfortable.

The Simethicone won't hurt, but I'd try enticing her with soft foods like grated carrot and canned pumpkin, or mushed up pellets with a little bananna in a syringe or something.

Let us know how it goes!

sas

I would have her checked for molar problems. Amber would have simmilar problems almost bi-monthly like Pepsi. Our regular vet could never figure out why. During one of her spells, we had to take her to the local emergency vet (it was a Sunday). The vet on call said her molars checked by our vet, they felt a little sharp. We took Amber back to our regular vet that next week. They said her molars felt slightly pointy, but she had no dramatic teeth problems. It was decided that they would file her molars a bit, just in case. *Knock on wood* she hasn't had an episode since.

Hope Pepsi feels better!

The vet has checked her teeth thoroughly the second time we brought her there (We asked if she could be put under to have a better look, but the vet didn't think it was necessary). I can't remember what the intrument was called, but it was a magnifiglass with a light on it? Something scope?

I have a strong gut feeling it's not a teeth related issue. She doesn't even want to even taste anything. Now, she just thumps and runs up/down her ramp when I try to open the door. Up to to day, she was eating her hard and soft veggies normal (Like she wouldn't choose apple over a carrot, she'd eat them both without trouble).

I'm wondering if I should just leave her in her cage and leave the simthecone? She gets so stressed when I have to handle her and I don't want it affecting her negativley. I shouldn't be too worried if there's still poops coming out, should I? She was eating hay willingly yesterday. She ate a bit this morning, so I don't think she's in a critical state at the moment?

I hope I can get her eating a bit tonight. I'll also see if I can look in her mouth to see if I can see anything. If I get my pinky in he rmouth, would I be able to feel her molars? I can restrain her enough from the cage to do everything but try to syringe, so I might be able to see?

I'll keep you updated

Has anything in her daily routine changed? Another one of Amber's triggers seemed to be a change in schedule. Even something as simple as a later feeding time.

I don't think so? Nothing too drastic I don't think. Although a week ago both the girls were freaking out thumping, skittering and acting odd one night but she seemed fine the day after. This thing is sort of bothering me because I get so worried everytime she doesnt' act well.

I'll heat a towel up in the drier andmake someyummies to see if she'll eat anything I can make her :?. I have a bad feeling about this.

Ok well, no luck with trying to eat anything major. She did eat a strand of brown hay that I dipped in water and nibbled on a piece of raisen. She drank when I put the bowl near her before. I know she's drinking. She left 5-10 little poops from the time I posted, so there is poop coming out. She's active and isn't laying down. She'll move willingly but she doesn't come to see me. She stretches and goes to see if I have my fingers on the wire to come check me out, but other then that she's being non social-which is so far off her pesonality and character.

Should I just stop pestering her with food for tonight and see in the morning? I don't know what I should do or if I should get her to a vettonight. :?

I don't know what time zone you're in (it's 10:15 where I am), but if its not too late I would try to get her in tonight or at least tommorow morning, considering that this has been going on for three days.

I've noticed the change in behavoir in the last 3 days, but she was still eating enough for me not to worry- she was just not eating her normal amount.

I'll leave her for tonight ans see if I can get something in her. Then tomorrow before I phone the vet I'll try the simthecone. If she hasn't improved after I give her the simthecone, then I'll phone the vet.

Pipp's manual scope exam came up negative for molar spurs as well. They didn't find them until they put her under. And he only put her under at my specific request, he said she wasn't symptomatic. Which vet did you see?

And Pipp stopped eating veggies (one by one) but would eat pellets, at least at first.

Is she drooling even slightly? Eye(s) watering? Moving her mouth around?

It's good that she's drinking, but if the poops are getting small, she'llneed to eatsomething. (Too bad we don't have Nutrical up here).

Will she take carrot juice out of a syringe? A little bit of apple juice? Leave the grated carrot and pumpkin (and a bit of banana) in her cage and see what happens.

And yes, definitely if she doesn't snap out of it tomorrow, she should see a vet. (Which vet did you see before?)

Hope she's okay. :clover:

sas et al

Pipp wrote:
(Too bad we don't have Nutrical up here).
Pipp, I found Nutrical at PetsMart here, it was only $10. You should look in the cat section! The first time I looked I never saw it but I did last time I went. It's hard to see with all the other stuff around.

Spring, I agree she should see a vet and you should insist on a more in depth look at her teeth. Some can't been seen externally but it just seems too odd that she goes off her food like this a lot.

I went to Dr. Schnider (Sp?). He seemed to know a lot about rabbits and he definetley knew how to handle them (Even for me Pepsi can be hard when she scrambled, but he calmed her down quickly). I only asked if they saw rabbits, didn't really ask if he was up to date on his rabbit stuff because he was the closest place I could find that dealt with rabbits. On the second visit when she wasn't improving, he said I maybe should get her looked at by Dr. Prus. I tried the mixture he prescribed (Some pineapple juice mixed with pellets papaya and this hairball thing he gave me) she started to improve.

No drooling at all. No eyes watering, eyes are clear, bright and alert. No discharge from the nose. Although I have seen her move her mouth a couple times, but she has done that before. I just can't understand if she did have a molar problem, why her appetite returns to normal when nothing teeth related was fixed? I don't know if it was something stressful or for some reason something happend that upset her? She does this kind of behavoir after something stressful.

I tried to give her some apple sauce, but she pushed my finger away, thumped and went downstairs. She sure isn't less fiesty! I haven't heard her grind her teeth. I'll see if I can get her some oat grass tomorrow first thing because she usually eats that when she's in these times. She was eating a bit of romaine lettuce when I held it up for her, but after a bit she just took chunks and throw them away (She does this when she doesn't want to be botehred).

Just out of curiosity, how mcuh does the sedation/teeth fixing cost? Ihope she doesn't have tooth troubles. I don't know what I'd do if she did.

:sighI just wish she would eat a bit more.. I hate leaving teh room feeling useless after her not touching much of anything I try to feed her. Making me worry!

Molar spurs aren't necessarily like malocclusions that need contant trimming, it could well bea one time thing.

As I noted before, Pipp was having a molar spur problem this month, and for some reason, it pretty much went away on it's own. The spur could have been ground down on its own, or maybe it was bothering her tongue and that cleared up after a few days of eating soft foods. She started eating after I had given her a little Medicam, whichwould have taken the mouth pain away, but after it wore off, she kept eating.

Pipp's are a regular deal, though, maybe every three months. The Arbutus clinic charges about $95.(The first time was more expensive, though).

Is Pepsi molting? I still wouldn't rule out a budding GI problem, although even the molar spurs will lead to that with the decrease in appetite.

sas

I had to have Sparky sedated to have some molar spurs ground down. The entire vet bill was $67. Her symptoms had been drooling and reduced appetite (although my little chunker could stand to lose a little weight!). It was a one-time thing - it's never recurred.

Hey Spring, how's Pepsi?

The best vet is still the Eagle Ridge Clinic in Coquitlam, Dr. Upjohn.

Dr Hugh Upjohn
Eagle ridge Animal & Bird Hospital
604-464-3343

What's the latest?

sas :expressionless

I'd give a little Nutri Cal to help keep her immune system strong. It's easily absorbed, has vitamin E (good for intestines!), omega fatty acids, folic acid, complex B vitamins as well as other vitamins and minerals essential for good health.

Rabbits can sometimes be very sensitive to cycles in weather changes. I've got a few rabbits that go through these cycles and go off their feed for a few days when we have a temperature change, so I administer Nutri Cal during this time. I noted the same cycles with older horses at a farm I used to work at. Colic and lack of appetite was more common in the spring and fall (especially in wet and/or hot weather).

Pam

Pepsi died this morning.

She was looking better yesterday, more active eating a bit and pooping morethen she just went downhill at around 12-1am last night. She was lethargic and had soft poop. I got some warm water into her to keep her hydrated and went to bed. I woke up at around 7:50am this morning and she was in her box shaking. I warmed up a ricesock and when I came back down she was having a seizer. I picked her up and she just went limp. I had her on my lap and she nestled down on my stomach and started to shake. The shaking only lasted a minute. I had my hand under her masaging her chest how she liked it and her heart started to slow then it just stopped. She died in my arms at around 8:00. I held her until my mom came home around 11:00 and we burried her around 12:00 in the front garden.

I'm still in shock right now. I can't go into the rabbit room without looking at the empty cage and breaking down. I feel so empty.

We waited off taking her to the vet because she was improving. I don't know what happend, it just happend so fast. I'm heartbroken. Everything we went through. I had an awful feeling last night and took a video and pictures. I don't know what to say, I'm just numb.

:cry3

I want you to know that my baby Fudge died in my arms, and even though it was very traumatic, you will find peace in the fact that she was loved and held until the last, and you will treasure that you could give her your love at that time. I, too, held Fudge on my chest after he'd gone for a number of hours, just crying and kissing him, and I know exactly what you also went through. Thinking of you at this time, look for her rainbow..

mummybunny xx

I so very, very sorry for your loss.

Pam

Angel-bunny_small.jpg

Latest posts

Back