Not eating, and hasn't pooped- Rexy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the last several hours, Rexy has stopped eating. He ate, last, the night before when he ate some of his left over breakfast. We have been giving him Critical Care and will be taking him to our vet this afternoon. I'm not sure if maybe stasis or maybe just eating when we're not looking. His breathing is rather rapid, though, and I'm very concerned for him. We've checked his stomach and it is soft, but to be on the safe side, we will have our vet check him over. We've been encouraging him to eat more hay since getting him, but now he's stopped. No treats, no hay, not even to say hello and chin my leg in the mornings like he normally does. He seemed to have slightly perked up when we brought Xiao Wu to him, who have been comforting him since she was brought out to his area. Because of our rabbits always lounging, it's hard to tell when one of them is in pain. Rexy does seem to have the strength to resist us when giving Critical Care, so hopefully the vet can figure out what is wrong.

Any opinions what might be happening?

A rabbit acting pretty normal, excited to come eat, but then won't eat or drops their food from their mouth, I suspect dental issues. But a rabbit that's subdued, hiding, acting uncomfortable, often it's because of stomach upset, but any painful condition can cause a rabbit to stop eating and act this way. That's when a thorough vet exam is needed to try and determine what exactly is going on. Sometimes blood tests and xrays are needed when it's not likely a simple stomach upset, where the bun is back to mostly normal within a day after getting the usual GI stasis meds.

I'll usually check the stomach for bloating, by gently palpating just below the left ribs. If it feels like the stomach is bloated (feels like an inflated balloon) or looks bloated, that's an emergency vet visit and nothing should be given orally before the vet rules it out, as the added pressure from more liquid or food, can put pressure on the heart and lungs, and also risk stomach rupture.

If the stomach doesn't feel bloated, I'll give 2-3 doses of simethicone baby gas drops, as mild gas is a common cause of stomach upset, maybe some very gentle belly massage if there is definitely not a bloated stomach, and keep buns body temp warm(rabbits get chilled and less inclined to eat when in pain).

If after that my bun isn't back to normal, it's been more than 12-24 hours since my bun last ate, or there's concerning symptoms or signs of deterioration, I'd get my bun to the vet right away.

https://rabbit.org/2013/02/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Veterinary_emergencies
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Gastrointestinal_stasis

Stomach definitely doesn't feel bloated to us. But, again, he's going to the vet. In fact, my husband just left with him to the vet. He is likely stressed, or worse. So, here's to hoping there's good news when the vet sees him. He's refused treats, his favorite foods, not even eating any hay of any kind. He looks so tired, too. The only thing he shows any energy is when we try to force critical care or when Xiao Wu attempted to groom his ears for him. He has had health issues in the past when he was much younger, according to my friend who used to have him. Serious respiratory issues.

UPDATE 8/19/2023- My husband and I stayed up all night to make sure Rexy got his Critical Care with enough time in between doses that it wouldn't cause him to get sick. Giving him his first dose of Melacam for pain relief. Rexy was NOT happy about being bundled into a towel to be force fed Critical Care and prescribed pain relief. Turns out, Rexy had ear mites that we were not aware of, and the vet treated him for it. Good thing he had that vet visit. Anyway, Rexy started gaining more energy, even trying to return groom Xiao Wu. Xiao Wu has stuck by him this ENTIRE time. Would not leave his side. When he was in his hutch (never closed but he feels safe in there), she would guard the entrance. She went in to check on him every now and then, then return to guarding the entrance. Rexy has started eating on his own, again. Still no hardness in his stomach, thankfully. We'll slow down the force feeding of the Critical Care as long as he is eating on his own, but we will not stop until we know he's back to normal. But figure I would give an update and provide some positive news about Rexy.

For the last several hours, Rexy has stopped eating. He ate, last, the night before when he ate some of his left over breakfast. We have been giving him Critical Care and will be taking him to our vet this afternoon. I'm not sure if maybe stasis or maybe just eating when we're not looking. His breathing is rather rapid, though, and I'm very concerned for him. We've checked his stomach and it is soft, but to be on the safe side, we will have our vet check him over. We've been encouraging him to eat more hay since getting him, but now he's stopped. No treats, no hay, not even to say hello and chin my leg in the mornings like he normally does. He seemed to have slightly perked up when we brought Xiao Wu to him, who have been comforting him since she was brought out to his area. Because of our rabbits always lounging, it's hard to tell when one of them is in pain. Rexy does seem to have the strength to resist us when giving Critical Care, so hopefully the vet can figure out what is wrong.

Any opinions what might be happening?
This might be severe illness or some type of sickness instantly take him to the vet!

We did. The same day I made that post. He's doing better, now. Moving, grooming, eating....we'll be giving him his dose of critical care soon to make sure. But he's been eating all day. I'm so happy he's doing better.
I'm so glad he's okay take care of your little bun!

Back