not eat her hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~*sAbRiNa*~

Reaction score
For the past 3 days Sabrina has hardly touched her hay. I am starting to get a little bit worried that something is wrong. All other behavior is normal, as is her drinking, urinating, fecal output, and she is happily eating her veggies and pellets. She passes a treat test with flying colors. I tired giving her afternoon salad an hour later than usual so that she would be hungry and "forced" into eating hay but she didn't. I gave her less veggies than usual so that she would hopefully be less full and go for some hay.

Any other suggestions to encourage hay eating? Should I be worried that something is wrong with her because she is neglecting the hay?

- Description Holland Lop Doe approx 3.5 lbs.

- spayed/neutered? Yes

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? Yes
- When did they last use their litterbox? I cleaned it about 5 hours ago and there are new pees and poos in it since then
- Any unusual behavior? Maybe a little more sleepy this afternoon but I also think that I could be over analyzing because I think that something is wrong. She went for a good run in the hallway about 4.5 hours ago

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? No

- Diet - what does your bunny eat? ZuPreem Timothy pellets (1/4 cup 2x per day)
- when and what did s/he eat last? she just was given her veggies and she had cucumber, mint, yellow pepper, spinach, dandelion stems (a bit of each) and a little bit of pumpkin

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? Yes

- any weight loss? Not that I have noticed

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? No

- has the rabbit been outdoors? No

Thank you for any help!
Lauren

Is it a new batch of hay? I've had some hay that the bunnies just don't like. I even threw out 25 lbs. of hay once because they weren't eating it.

I just switched what was in her feeder and she had some nibbles at the new stuff. I'll leave it in there overnight and if she doesn't eat it by the time I am done classes tomorrow I will pick up some new stuff for her.

Thanks for the reassurance.

~*sAbRiNa*~ wrote:
I just switched what was in her feeder and she had some nibbles at the new stuff. I'll leave it in there overnight and if she doesn't eat it by the time I am done classes tomorrow I will pick up some new stuff for her.

Thanks for the reassurance.
i,m stuck over here 120 milessouth of vanc.b.c..//.whatever you have available..ie.timothy/orchard grasses,,check it real good for age,mildew,bugs,dirt,,etc..rabbits like a quality product....i once almost fed mildew timothy to them,,but i smelled the mildew/yuk..sometimes the first cutting,or second cutting is liked the best,,or just time to switch from timothy to orchard..,,but to answer your initial question/yes,,be concerned if they are not eating their- grasses/.it is 70% of their daily diet.--sincerely james waller:wave::rose::pinkbouce::bunnydance:

Keep a very close eye on her teeth. Watch for wetness around the muzzle, picking up and dropping food and any weight loss.

Look and see if you can spot anything looking long or crooked with her front teeth, and if this keeps up take her to a vet to have her back teeth checked. Holland lops are prone to dental problems. Eight months is a tad young but still getting the age these problems often surface.

Here's the Library link.

Teeth

sas :clover:

Yay she ate a bit of hay last night! Not as much as usual but definitely more than she has over the last few days. I am still going to go out and buy some new stuff. there is no mold/dust on what I have now I think that she is just being picky. If she doesn't pick up her eating with the new hay I will take her to the vets to have her teeth checked.

Pipp, how do you get you bun to let you check their teeth? She did not seem that interested in opening her mouth for me.

You can sometimes run your finger along the inside and outside of the molars, but she may chew on you or not let you. All that can really do is show you if there's anything very sharp, and I haven't had success in my bunnies letting me do that. I also check my bunnies' teeth monthly by feeling along the jaw lines for any lumps or bumps, but that will only tell you if there's an infection.

I had that issue with my female. She was eating her veggies, but not her hay as she always did. I should've took her to the vet because she ended up dying. I found out that she had a fiber deficiency which I thought was odd because she always ate her hay. The vet said they saw all the veggies in her stomach, but couldn't digest it because there wasn't any fiber. I'd take you bunny in just to be sure so it doesn't happen to you. It happens very quickly!

Well the great news is that Sabrina has been eating the new hay! I am so happy an relieved. She ate about 1/2 of her feeder full in just a few hours...which is more than usual. I am not sure why she didn't like the other hay because my friend's bunnies gobbled it right up.

I tried checking her teeth but she was completely unimpressed and has not left her hidey box for the last 5 minutes. But now that she ate so much hay I am much less worried and will just be sure to get her teeth thoroughly checked at her 1 year exam.

Latest posts

Back