Not chewing on his toys?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLoves

Reaction score
Ok, I got my rabbit about a month ago, he is 5 months old. When we first got him, he was eating... alooot of pellets, well I took him to the vet and the vet said not so many pellets, that he needs mostly hay, and I can start introducing him to vegtables which he had never had with his current owner. I introduced carrots first, and now brocolli, he seems to do fine with both. Well, when we got him he chewed on his little wood blocks, tried to chew cords (we bunny proofed EVERYthing), and he loved chewing!! He went through several of the straw balls the first few days. Now he doesn't want to chew at all unless it's to eat. He has no interest at all! So now I'm worried about his teeth because I know they need to chew in order to keep the filed down. My husband seems to think I'm starving him because the previous owner gave him a huge bowl of pellets and kept them in there, and now he runs around our feet and is always begging for them. But I always keep fresh hay in there which he also loves, and I do give the 1/4 a cup I've seen on google in the mornings, but I give him the the small amounts of vegetables the other two feedings. Only about the size of my thumb or smaller since he is still new to it. Is it okay that he has stopped chewing on things?? Sorry this was so long! :help

e407f130-21bf-4442-a6e2-b84c5781ec7a.jpg

It sounds like you are feeding him very well. Some rabbits just aren't big on chew toys. Hay goes a long way in keeping teeth trimmed, though, so I wouldn't worry about it. But you can try apple twigs, willow twigs, or loofah chews you can get from pet stores and see if he likes those.

I've read that females tend to be bigger chewers than males, and I can believe this. My female chews up all the toys I give her, but my males barely touch theirs.

Last edited:
Eating hay helps their teeth to wear down. Is he eating lots of hay?

By vegetables, its usually best to start more with greens. Cilantro, romaine lettuce, red-leaf lettuce, parsley. These are the greens he can get more regularly. Broccoli often causes gas, so keep an eye on that. I'd limit broccoli. Carrots should be considered a treat only. Once he's more steady on greens, he can have very small portions of fruits or carrot for a treat.

He did at the beginning, but just sniffs them now and that's it. We have little logs, apple sticks, a straw mat, and the straw balls. We only have that many because he loved them and was chewing on them constantly when we got him. I am glad to hear the hay helps with his teeth as well!!

Eating hay helps their teeth to wear down. Is he eating lots of hay?

By vegetables, its usually best to start more with greens. Cilantro, romaine lettuce, red-leaf lettuce, parsley. These are the greens he can get more regularly. Broccoli often causes gas, so keep an eye on that. I'd limit broccoli. Carrots should be considered a treat only. Once he's more steady on greens, he can have very small portions of fruits or carrot for a treat.

He eats a ton of hay. And thanks, I'll try more greens. He loves everything I give him so far lol. I forgot I have given him Parsley and he loved it as well.

Diet advice varies from person to person and no one does the same. However a common diet practice is to give unlimited pellets until 6-7 months of age and then gradually taper off. Young buns need the extra to support their growing bodies. Not trying to have you go against what your vet said just thought Id mention that. He could be hungry if you just all of a sudden stopped unlimited pellets. And I second what blue eyes said. Carrots should be a treat, broccoli not the best veggie choice.
Every rabbit is unique and some chew/play with toys more than others. My male is a big toy guy while my female could care less.

Latest posts

Back