Not another false pregnancy...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hope

Reaction score
About six weeks ago Coco had a doozy of a false pregnancy. She pulled so much of herfur out that she looked a bit like a lumpy potato for weeks. It was only until just recently that she began to look like her old self again. That is until last night when I went to feed her and found her beautiful hair was now a beautiful nest. This morning she is still at it and no matter how much hay I put in her cage she prefers her fur for building material.

Is it normal for her to have another false pregnancy so soon after her last? She is scheduled to be spayed in the beginning of may (as soon as my tax rebate comes in :)). Will spaying her stop this behavior? Is there anything other than giving her extra hay to dissuade her from pulling out her fur?

It is normal for rabbits to have frequent false pregnancies, espcially in the spring time. Spring time is prime mating time, and it can make the buns go crazy with wanting to breed.

Push the hay, and you can try giving her some pumpkin. Also make sure she stays hydrated.

Spaying should curb, if not completely stop this behaviour. I think it's rare for a spayed bun to have false pregnancies. The only one of mine who builds nests is my 9 year old unspayed girl.

--Dawn

Hi,

Spaying will stop the false pregnancies. She should be offered extra hay and greens since she will swallow some of the pulled fur. Do not interfere with her instincts. Give her a nest box or something that she can build and maintain her nest in privacy. Removing the nest only results in additional stress. We see this behavior often in our unspayed girls (and this is one of the primary reasons that female bunnies are abandoned outside) and we always allow it to run it's course...and we even provide her with nesting material. It is a very stressful event for them....make it as easy for her as possible.

Randy

Latest posts

Back