Normal Rex Fur Loss ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usagi_Chan

Reaction score
Thumper, a Mini-Rex, has lately been losing a lot of hair. She rather looks like she's gotten the worst end of a fight, though she and Pegasus never fight.

I just got her a few months ago so I haven't seen this sort of shedding before with her, though Pegasus just finished a heavy shedding also.

I suspect this is normal but I wondered if other Mini-Rex owners have seen this. Is this normal for a Mini-Rex ?
Usagi__Chan

This is what she used to look like:

IMG_0080.jpg

This is how she looks right now:

IMG_0183.jpg

Looks like a molt/shed to me.
It looks different than a flyback coat would.

Anything change recently...diet or stress related?
Temperature can also be a factor.
Seasonal?

Most of mine are shedding like crazy right now. Most likely due to the hot spells we've had.

~Jim

I've been brushing her a lot lately and the brush gets really full of hair. I use a small wire-type brush.

I live on 9th floor in a city and the rabbits never go outside. The apartment has A/C so it's never hot.

Her appetite is great. In fact she eats everything in sight and tries to shove poor Pegasus aside to grab any fresh veggies I give them. She and Pegasus both are great hay-eaters. I give them a leaf of romaine lettuce, a baby carrot and a bit of broccoli most days. They also get 2 tablespoons of pellets for each of them every day. Both love the pellets and clammor for their cage at night when I give then the pellets.

Usagi Chan

One of my Mini-Rex's has always been more of a shedder in clumps like that, and his coat has never been as soft and silky like his brother, who always has a naturally well-groomed appearance. It's interesting and funny in a way, because I tell Bugs he's having a bad hair day. :p

Hi! Yeah i would have to agree and say that looks like a bad shed. My Bunbun sheds like that every once in a while and i have to brush him like crazy. I used to use the wire brush, it worked really well, but then he got cut from it. Now I use a Kittty Curry brush, it's rubber and normally found in the cat section. And a small puppy shedding brush works good too! ;)

kat.

Back