Normal behavior after spay surgery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaylaLop

Reaction score
So Layla was spayed yesterday morning and they kept her on observation for some time beforehand, as well as about 30 hours post-surgery before I was told I could pick her up.

She doesn't seem to be exactly herself, and I don't blame her since she's still on pain meds for another 2 days, but did your bunnies act different right away after being spayed?

She's more subdued. She's eating hay and pellets and veggies fine, pooping and peeing, and hops around some in her cage, but she's not bouncing off the walls or going crazy in the small cage (yet) like I expect her to.

I saw her incision site when she flopped over earlier and it looks pink/puffy but that's obviously normal the day after surgery and it doesn't seem to be causing her pain or anything. She's also not bothering it any and is still grooming herself like normal.

Another question I have is how long to wait to allow her to be with Mumford and to allow jumping... They said at least 10-14 days if it's healing fine, but I just wanted to check.

Also, I'll be moving in 5-6 weeks, which is why I wanted to get the surgery done ASAP while it's with a quality exotics vet I trust and cheaper than where I'm moving to... Some places say not to stress them for like 2 months after the surgery, but in this case it can't be helped. Considering she re-bonds to Mumford just fine after healed up, shouldn't she be able to handle the move?

I'm working on their moving transport tub... possibly done with it soon, but can't create the lid until she's living with Mumford again since I need her current cage to disassemble for parts!

Sorry to write a novel, just looking to see if others noticed immediate changes post-spay!

LaylaLop wrote:
So Layla was spayed yesterday morning and they kept her on observation for some time beforehand, as well as about 30 hours post-surgery before I was told I could pick her up.

She doesn't seem to be exactly herself, and I don't blame her since she's still on pain meds for another 2 days, but did your bunnies act different right away after being spayed?

She's more subdued. She's eating hay and pellets and veggies fine, pooping and peeing, and hops around some in her cage, but she's not bouncing off the walls or going crazy in the small cage (yet) like I expect her to.

I saw her incision site when she flopped over earlier and it looks pink/puffy but that's obviously normal the day after surgery and it doesn't seem to be causing her pain or anything. She's also not bothering it any and is still grooming herself like normal.

Another question I have is how long to wait to allow her to be with Mumford and to allow jumping... They said at least 10-14 days if it's healing fine, but I just wanted to check.

Also, I'll be moving in 5-6 weeks, which is why I wanted to get the surgery done ASAP while it's with a quality exotics vet I trust and cheaper than where I'm moving to... Some places say not to stress them for like 2 months after the surgery, but in this case it can't be helped. Considering she re-bonds to Mumford just fine after healed up, shouldn't she be able to handle the move?

I'm working on their moving transport tub... possibly done with it soon, but can't create the lid until she's living with Mumford again since I need her current cage to disassemble for parts!

Sorry to write a novel, just looking to see if others noticed immediate changes post-spay!
you can use betadine on the incision area,,the eatng is very important due to the down time of the surgery--need to reactivate the gi-tract,,ie.water,hay,pellets--with any antibiotics--you need to give probotics to reestablish gut flora,,-the behavior will readjust accordingly,,-sincerely james waller

The vet said it's best not to use betadine on the incision since it could cause irritation on delicate rabbit skin. She said I could use a warm saline solution if it's inflamed or the pinkness doesn't subside in a few days to keep it clean but less disturbing the area for now the better. She's not on any antibiotics, just metacam. She was eating before the surgery and is eating well afterwards.

I don't think the behavior change is related to her digestive tract.

Glad to hear Layla is doing so well. I haven't had a doe spayed but I did have two males neutered. Dobby came home very calm, just like your Layla. I saw a difference right away in his personality. He was more affectionate and not as tense. Kreacher on the other hand was still dominant. Still had that hormonal rush. That took about 2 weeks to start to calm down.

I think some bunnies handle it all differently and you will see results from the hormonal removal right away.

With the move coming up for you, I think Layla will do fine if she's handling everything so well now. I wish I could give you some advise regarding bonding, but I failed miserably with Dobby and Kreacher. Hoping to one day introduce them again to each other on common ground (the garden run).

Hoping the great progress Layla is going through continues. And she's back with Mumford soon.

K:)

Sounds like Tippy after it. I moved her after about a month, and it was fine. She'll probably be back to hopping normally and her bouncy, airplane-eared self in another day or two. Give her nose kisses for me.

Back