Noni Juice - is it safe for rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
I was just curious since I use the stuff myself. I cant really find anything online though.

100% pure organic Noni Juice made from Morinda Citrifolia

I came across this:

http://www.beautyfeast.com/Noni-Juice/Noni-Juice-Pets.htm

and noticed that it is used for horses. If I remember correctly, Randy mentioned a lot of equine aides are similar with rabbits.

I'm still looking online but wonder if anyone here has any input.

I don't know about uses for pets, but I've looked into uses for people. (My ex used to sell it and kept on trying to push it on me :X). Apparently since the juice needs to be pasteurized, that destroys most of the nutrients in it anyway, so it's about as nutricious as eating an orange.
The powder or pills are much more potent though, especially if they are made from the pulp that's left after extracting the juice, which is where most of the nutrients seem to be.

As to all the phytochemicals that are supposed to be what makes the juice or powder so beneficial, none of them are scientifically proven to have benefits, though some "in vitro" studies do indicate a cancer reducing potential. Also some cholesterol lowering potentials.
But since Noni has been used as a folk remedy in so many Asian and Polynasian countries, it is of course possible that there are medicinal properties, they just have not been proven by western scientific research yet (I don't think much research has been done yet, it's usually hard to get food supplements tested and approved anyway).

Also, a few cases of liver damage have been linked to Noni, though not the juice I think, more likely the more potent powder.
So, I'm not sure what to say about using it for a rabbit. I suppose the juice is fairly harmless though, since it doesn't contain much of the nutrients anyway.

Hi, Hazel-Mom and Happy New Year!

I haven't seen you around lately, I read your comments with extreme interest, I'm crazy about the chemical analysis you always have the kindness to share with us!

Well, about Noni, you know what they say: when not sure if good or bad, don't feed it at all. There are many other approved safethings that a rabbit can taste.

Marietta

Hi Marietta, and Happy New Year to you aswell :).
I've been around, mostly just reading though, and posting pictures of Baby hazel to make Bo jealous :p.

If you want I can put up some more accurate analyses of the Noni juice. The Wikipedia page on it has most of the info though, so you might want to read that one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noni

Hi guys and thanks -

No, I have no plans on giving it to them but it was a question out of curiosity, non the less.

Thanks for the links!

Latest posts

Back