Non toxic bunny repellent...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creature333

Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs in 'general' but here goes. Bought a new blanket that nicely covers the ugly legs on my bed, bunny of course already chewed off a few pieces. Can't figure out any non-toxic ingredients that would keep him from chewing on the blanket. Anyone know anything?

A lot of essential oils are so strong that bunnies wouldn't like going near anything with them but essential oils are also mostly toxic to pets. I usually use vinegar on furniture but vinegar can bleach dark colors, my bed cloth is dark blue.

Uhm, rabbits like bitter and love apples ;), I would test that on something expendable first.. Cats and dogs are different beasts.

Honestly, no idea that would work indoors (painting wood with rabbit urine seems to work in my outdoor hutches though), that's why bunny proofing is a thing. Get it out of reach or have it destroyed.

Hm, that's strange. There are several marketed here as working for rabbits as well as dogs and cats.
Perhaps not where you are.

A bitter apple spray may work, often marketed as anti chew sprays 😊

It depends on the rabbit. Some like it, some don't. And it may be brand dependent as well. Maybe one brand works better than another.

Lightly rubbing plain ivory bar soap just on the surface, might be a temporary deterrent. But completely blocking access is the only sure thing. Not sure if using wire panels or polycarbonate panels would work for you, but those are primarily what I've used to bunny proof.

20231213_155544.jpg

We used cardboard boxes and plywood to barricade our rabbits from areas we did not want damaged--a good barricade is the only way we came up with to dissuade them from nibbling our goods--pain in the keister, but it was effective, especially with cords for the computer, phone, and furniture. Shoe laces were a frequent casualty til we went velcro!

This is my setup. Originally our bunny was scratching/eating holes all the cardboard barriers and chewing anything he could find. I then went to Home Depot and bought these hardboard barriers for $8 each, He can't destroy them. I put the cardboard behind hardboards to keep him from jumping over the hard boards. Used Harbor Freight clamps to ho1702673971650.jpegld it all together. Not pretty but it works great.

Last edited:
The Midwest Homes for Pets gold zinc exercise pens (for canines) have worked well to safeguard chewable content in our home. Various heights are available and the eight panels can wrap around off-limit areas. Then we also separate a tempting chew-area with a brick spacer or two. The tan holland pavers from Menard's keeps inquistive (and determined) bun noses who test the shiftability of the wire x-pen.

The personalities of buns is something else. Some of our sanctuary crew are content to ignore, others want to get at "that spot" that is forbidden.

In some areas, a thin slideable plywood panel is used.

Thanks for the pic of polycarbonate panels, @JBun ! Hay has a way of migrating around the room so easy-to-slide bun-barriers come in handy.

Your silver lop companion, @lilewis, has a luxurious set-up. Oh, the comfort!

Our fur-loves also sneak their noses thru a MWHomesForPets exercise pen and tackle an intermediate divider. I have Busy Bunny digestible willow baskets placed in spots but a couple of the kids still want the fun-to-tear-and-munch cardboard. We are careful so excess cardboard is never consumed to cause on a gastric obstruction!

Attachments

• TinyWondersWhatPuppyChewedTHIS_WhatHappenedHereRSTB.jpg
    TinyWondersWhatPuppyChewedTHIS_WhatHappenedHereRSTB.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 0
  • 2BB_SittingOnTheRoof_RS.jpg
    2BB_SittingOnTheRoof_RS.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2BB_IsALeapingLionhead_RS.jpg
    2BB_IsALeapingLionhead_RS.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 0
Back